Alan Hargreaves is an established business writer and management advisor. He has held senior positions in financial services, publishing, broadcasting and private equity. He spent 20 years working in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the USA. For the last decade he has been based in Sydney. He is the author of management book Recharge, published by John Wiley & Sons and his regular business blog 60 Second Recharge.
Alan is an Economics graduate from the University of Sydney and initially worked in publishing and journalism. Following assignments in Singapore, he moved permanently to Asia in 1977, where he wrote for the region's leading publications before being appointed Associate Editor of financial monthly Asian Business.
In 1981, he became Financial Editor of Radio Television Hong Kong. He completely restructured RTHK's business product, introducing new, innovative programs, which established RTHK as Hong Kong's premier source of business news and analysis.
Approached by UK investment bank Hoare Govett, he was appointed Research Manager in 1984. For the next 15 years, he held numerous management positions as the firm grew rapidly. He became a director in 1987, working with the group's Singapore joint venture and managing expansion into Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia. He returned to HK in 1989 as Director of International Research.
In 1990 he joined with three other senior executives to orchestrate a management buyout. On completion, he became Managing Director for Asia. In 1993, he moved to New York as MD of the US operations where he rebuilt the firm's business, lifting US rankings from 7th to 2nd and boosting market share to over 20%. He oversaw a joint venture with the investment bank, Smith Barney, launched new operations on the West Coast and introduced new Asian investment vehicles to the US. In 1996, he led the first listing of a Chinese company on the New York Stock Exchange.
In 1998, the firm was sold to ABN Amro. Alan returned to Australia as Managing Director of ABN Amro Hoare Govett to build a top tier presence in Australian stockbroking. This was achieved with the acquisition of BZW Australia.
In 2000, he left the firm to concentrate on his own investment interests, including portfolio management, private equity and breeding horses.
Client Comments for Alan Hargreaves
Alan Hargreaves travels from New South Wales Australia
- Effective management often means thinking outside of the square. Alan Hargreaves does this brilliantly. His simple rules for success will streamline your decision making and your life.
Ita Buttrose, 2013 Australian of the Year
- Buyer Beware: Good ways to handle bad business strategies
- Collaborative Leadership: You have to be a manager first - how to be an excellent one
- Growth by Acquisition: Is it faster, slower or just painful? How to buy new business
- Less Strategy, More Action, More Business: How to spend less on the planning and more on the doing
- Management Reboot: How to restart your business, your career and your life
- Recharge Workshop
- Recharge Your Business: 52 ways to reinvigorate every area of your business
- Social Media: Plenty of buzz, but where's the business? How to be realistic about investing in social networks
- Succession Planning
- The "Surfing the Cycle" Series: Your product, your firm, your market, yourself and your career
- The CASA Principle - Collaborate, Adapt, Simplify, Act: Simple processes to keep you at the leading edge
- Turning Down Times into Good Times: How to use a recession to prepare for recovery
- Why Brands Matter: Don't just attract customers, use branding to create business value
"Fabulous assistance with everything to do with this event."
Subscribe to our newsletter