Andrew Lock OAM - Leadership & Risk Consultant, Inspirational Speaker, Extreme Adventurer and Author.
Andrew Lock is the only Australian, indeed the only member of the British Commonwealth, to have climbed all fourteen of the world’s 8000 metre – death zone – mountains. He was the first Australian to lead a commercial expedition to the summit of Mt Everest. Additionally he has led over 100 exploratory, research and remote area teams to every continent on earth, for private entities, government and the corporate sector.
Andrew specializes in creating, leading, and managing teams in highly adverse and uncertain environments. Precisely what organisations are facing in today’s constantly and rapidly changing financial, political and technological world.
Andrew’s diverse leadership background in addition to his unparalleled extreme adventure experience, have instilled in him a unique understanding of how to effectively and quickly adapt to and embrace this environment, through;
• Proactive risk management that identifies opportunities as well as threats,
• ‘Strengths Based’ approach to build individual and organizational resilience, flexibility, innovation and commitment,
• Synergistic teams built upon trust and respect, and
• Authentic Leadership
All of Andrew’s presentations are inspiring and leave his audiences completely wowed. He was officially named one of Australia’s 50 greatest ever explorers, awarded an Order of Australia for his services to adventure and received a Commendation for Bravery for rescuing three climbers from near the summit of Mt Everest. But it is his ability to draw clear and relevant linkages from those adventure experiences, combined with his extensive workplace leadership roles that will provide your team with practical lessons to take your organization to the summit and beyond. This is why Andrew is repeatedly asked to return and present to leadership development programmes for some of Australia’s largest corporate entities.
Ask about Andrew’s most popular presentations;
• SUMMIT SECRETS – Leading to Succeed
• EMBRACING UNCERTAINTY – The Alpine Style Organisation • SUMMIT 8000 – The Longest Climb.
• RISK – Your Best Friend in the Mountains
Alternatively, Andrew will develop a specific presentation or workshop unique to your organisation’s priorities – Leadership, Teamwork, Risk Management, Culture, Resilience, Motivation, Goal Setting, Planning.
Client Comments for Andrew Lock
Andrew Lock travels from AustraliaAustralia
- Thank you again for taking the time to speak at our Conference on Wednesday night. The feedback we have received from both clients and staff has been fantastic and your speech was certainly the highlight of the event.
Executive Director, Events Advisory & Planning Corporate Services, Goldman Sachs Australia
- The Chairs were very impressed - in fact far more than I had ever expected them to be! I was very pleased with their level of engagement throughout the session, the questions they asked you at the end and the further discussion we had. Your presentation may result in some new approaches to the Forum and help reinvigorate us for the transformational changes we will face.
Chair Forum of National Board Chairs, AHPRA
- We had great feedback from the group. You have an incredible story that clearly resonated.
HR Business Partner, AFL
- Thank you so much for coming. Your presentation was a fantastic start to our program and delegates were certainly talking about it later in the day, as well as one of our speakers from the session which followed yours!
Academic Co-Convenor AMSA National Convention 2015
- Thanks again for your time and your presentation. The messaging around leadership and resilience was strong and perfectly aligned to the theme of our day. A fascinating story with great feedback from attendees.
State Manager, CGU
- I applaud Andrew on his approach and commitment to our Forum. It is rare to find a key note speaker who is willing to commit so much time and energy into getting to know and understand the organisation to whom they are speaker. Andrew did this and subsequently tailored his presentation to the issues, themes and messages that underpinned the whole Forum. Even though Andrew has such a rich tapestry of experience to draw from, it was his ability to weave his story into the business messages of the conference that resulted in the forum participants, and my clients, talking about Andrew's impact for days afterwards. I simply couldn't have asked for a better speaker to augment the Forum. I would recommend Andrew to facilitators and conferences wholeheartedly.
Alan Scott, Principal, Asmosys
- We were looking for an exceptional speaker for our recent Client Conference. After looking at quite a few speakers, we settled on Andrew Lock. Personally I am very grateful for having Andrew speak at our conference. I was very moved by his presentation, as were the 100 people in the room. Andrew does a great job. He truly makes a difference. Our clients are still talking about every facet that Andrew spoke about – the systems under adversity, leadership at the highest level, culture, risk analysis, to name a few. My advice is to book him now!
Bruce Campbell, Business Coach, Entrepreneurial Business School
- An incredible, inspiring, exhilarating and motivating presenter. Andrew had a complicated presentation brief but he delivered it perfectly. He was humble yet inspirational; he was elite yet convincing. Andrew delivers a very strong message in regards to tackling everyday tasks in addition to the importance of team work and leadership. Andrew's story and real-life images captivated the audience and added great value to the day. I highly recommend Andrew as a keynote for any event looking to inspire and leave your audience in awe.
Steve Bennett, Senior Policy Officer, W. A. Department of Sport and Recreation
- A quick note to thank you for your exhilarating talk at our recent national sales conference.
- Your talk demonstrated very succinctly the vital role teamwork and communication takes.
- Your presentation was not only absorbing and interesting but clearly delivered a vital message.
- You have a natural approach to conveying messages and ideas and are, in my view, an excellent role model.
- SUMMIT SECRETS - Leading to Succeed
- EMBRACING UNCERTAINTY - The Alpine Style Organisation
- SUMMIT 8000 - The Longest Climb
- RISK - Your Best Friend in the Mountains
Topic SynopsesSUMMIT SECRETS - Leading to Succeed
Great challenges require commitment and perseverance. In times of extreme adversity however, it is inspirational and authentic leadership that keeps teams going to the end. Andrew Lock’s sixteen year project to climb every 8000 metre peak on earth, including Mt Everest and thirteen other – death zone – mountains, without guides, oxygen or Sherpas, demanded project management, goal setting, perseverance and team skills. But when climbers died and the teams he joined, failed, he developed his own leadership skills to drive both his success and that of his teams. In doing so, Andrew became the only Australian, indeed the only member of the British Commonwealth, to climb every 8000 metre peak on earth. In this inspiring keynote, Andrew shares the journey, the many important lessons he learned through both failures and successes, and reveals the three overarching leadership traits needed to create winning teams that succeed against great adversity.
Key themes – Leadership, self-leadership, creating high performing teams, succeeding against adversity.
EMBRACING UNCERTAINTY - The Alpine Style Organisation
Like traditional climbing expeditions, most organisations embrace a comfortable, structured, ‘siege style’ approach to business. Today’s corporate world however is one of constant change and uncertainty. In this keynote, Andrew identifies the tools used to create modern, light and fast, ‘alpine style’ organisations that can respond quickly to threats and opportunities and become comfortable with uncertainty. He draws upon his own expedition experiences to the 8000 metre – death zone – mountains, including Mt Annapurna, the most dangerous mountain in the world, and K2, the hardest mountain in the world, where he developed Alpine style teams that achieved unparalleled successes on unclimbed routes in the face of extraordinary adversity, change and uncertainty, while all other teams failed on even the simplest routes.
Key themes – Uncertainty, organisational culture and resilience, change management.
SUMMIT 8000 - The Longest Climb
Andrew Lock’s dream to climb Mt Everest took 15 years to achieve because he climbed without guides, Sherpas or oxygen. It was an extraordinary journey for a boy from the suburbs of Sydney with no prior climbing experience. But the realisation of that dream was not the end of his journey. Rather, the summit of Mount Everest became a stepping stone to an even greater challenge; to climb every 8000 metre – death zone - peak on earth, a 16 year project on the world’s highest, hardest and most dangerous mountains. Along the way he was immersed in immensely spiritual foreign cultures, caught in the firing zone of military conflicts, suffered numerous near death experiences and lost more than 20 of his friends to the mountains. In this moving, sometimes hilarious but always inspiring keynote, Andrew shares the journey, the lessons learned along the way and the hard fought for successes that saw him acclaimed as one of the world’s great high altitude alpinists, the only Australian and indeed the only member of the British Commonwealth, to climb every 8000 metre peak on earth.
Key Themes – Goal setting, project management, resilience, motivation and inspiration.
RISK - Your Best Friend in the Mountains
‘Climbing isn’t worth dying for but it is worth risking dying for.’ This quote by acclaimed mountaineer, Todd Skinner, sounds a bit hollow doesn’t it? Or does it? After 25 extreme altitude expeditions and over 100 exploratory, research and remote area adventure expeditions to every continent on earth, Andrew Lock knows about risk. He succeeded, and survived, where more than 20 of his friends were lost to the mountains. In this keynote, Andrew draws upon his experiences of climbing the world’s highest and most dangerous mountains, as well as his many years of OH&S, Risk Management and Risk Response training. You will learn his risk management approach, understanding risk attitudes and human response processes and his philosophy of proactive risk management strategies to leverage opportunities, rather than retreat from threats, which saw him succeed, where so many others failed.
Key themes – Risk management, Fear management, OH&S.
"A very easy process. Good lead-in service and excellent follow-up."
City of Greater Bendigo
Subscribe to our newsletter