Bian Tan is passionate about nature and the earth's natural environment. When he isn’t in his office at the Singapore Botanic Gardens, he is advising on a new botanic garden in Myanmar or Indonesia, or conducting a training workshop in Cambodia or the Philippines. Although his office is located at the Singapore Botanic Gardens, Bian does not work for them. Instead, he is the South-East Asia Program Coordinator for the world’s leading environmental NGO that focuses on plant conservation: Botanic Gardens Conservation International, headquartered in London. Through BGCI, Bian has initiated the networking of botanic gardens and related institutions in SE Asia, assisting them with environmental education, plant conservation, and staff capacity building. He enjoys working with partner institutions in twelve countries, and especially relishes exploring natural areas such as forests, mountains, and coral reefs.
His extensive travels throughout South-East Asia and almost 20 years in the USA give him a broad perspective on the status of nature conservation in these parts of the world. He has many years of experience giving training lectures to docents, botanic gardens staff, and the public, as well at international conferences.
Bian was previously Curator at San Francisco’s Botanical Garden, where he pioneered the development of a South-East Asian Cloud Forest Garden, and launched seed collecting expeditions to the mountains of Malaysia, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Indonesia. His efforts can be seen here.
Bian’s presentations are tailored to his audience and can range from practical hands-on plant identification, to the gravity of the biodiversity crisis and what we can do to save our planet and our future. A common thread throughout is the wonder and beauty of the natural world, conveyed by thought-provoking images acquired throughout his travels.
Bian Tan travels from Singapore
- Biodiversity Conservation: Why it is critical to preserve nature
- Botanic Gardens: What they are, what they do, how their roles have changed, and how they are contributing to environmental conservation
- Botanical Exploration: Stories and adventures of plant collecting in the often remote mountains of South-East Asia
- Having Fun Identifying Plants
- Living Plants and Forests: Why our existence is so dependant on them
- Plant Conservation Efforts in South-East Asia and Beyond
- Taxonomy and Classification of Plants: its importance in today’s world
- The Amazing World of Cloud Forests: A wondrous and beautiful ecosystem
- The Amazing World of Plants: Their beauty and diversity
- The Health of the Environment: How it is intimately connected with the well-being of humanity, and what we can do about it
"Trish Stafford is an angel – she goes out of her way to help every time, no matter how small the budget is. An absolute asset to the company and always a pleasure to work with."
Flying Ruby Events
Subscribe to our newsletter