Brigitte Muir is the first Australian woman to have climbed Mount Everest and the first Australian, male or female, to have climbed the highest mountain on each continent. Her nine year quest, which included four dramatic attempts on Mount Everest, gives her a unique insight on achieving long term goals, on maintaining personal motivation and on the most important skill needed when working with people: communication!
Rare footage from the top of the world, stunning pictures, her passionate personality and honesty make for powerful presentations which inspire audiences to climb the mountains in their lives.
Her key points are illustrated by striking stories such as being abandoned by her team near the top of Everest, the 1996 disaster where eleven people died in a single night and what challenges await after you have climbed the highest of all mountains.
Brigitte makes a genuine connection with people, engages them and gives them a real sense of the journey, be it in business, at school, or in life. Her willingness to talk with participants after presentations allows them to absorb some of her determination and passion into their own goal setting and ways of acting.
Brigitte is the recipient of the Australian Geographic Award for Excellence (1997), the Australia Day Council Australian Achiever Award (2008), the Order of Australia Medal for Services to Mountaineering (2000), the Centenary of Federation Medal (2003) and in 2001 was made a Member of the First Victorian Honour Roll of Women.
Her amazing and inspirational life from her native Belgium to the top of the world featured in The Eighth Summit, a television documentary screened in Australia and internationally in 2010 and 2011.
Brigitte Muir's riveting autobiography The Wind in My Hair is a tale of true heroism, courage and an unconquerable determination.
In recent years, she has given her heart towards positive change in her beloved Eastern Nepal, creating inspirational documentaries and leading fundraising treks for ongoing capacity-building initiatives including the Beyond the Smile women's literacy program.
Client Comments for Brigitte Muir
- Brigitte is a very professional, warm, relaxed and captivating speaker.
Latrobe Women in Business
- Brigitte Muir addressed an assembly (Years 5 to 12) and without doubt it was one of the most enjoyable and inspirational addresses we have had. She is a very lively and entertaining speaker and her message of 'live your dreams, don't dream your life' struck a strong chord in our students.
Fintona Girls School
- Your life experiences as a woman in male-dominated environment had a positive impact on our women workforce, often presented with challenges of being a minority group in the non-traditional occupations. Your talk went well with our theme by sending a message to women on how to realise their potential, reach their goals and stop being afraid to climb the highest peaks!
Rail Corp Sydney
- Brigitte spoke well and her back up slides and videos left no doubt as to the passion of the lady. I have not experienced a question time after a speaker that went so long for a long time which indicates the level of interest that was stimulated by Brigitte's presentation.
- We were very happy with Brigitte's presentation - she was passionate, interesting and had a genuine warmth of character.
Hanmore Financial Solutions
- Brigitte's address was just what we wanted, she inspired us all and her talk reinforced the importance of passion and persistence - crucial to "living our dreams" and not "dreaming our lives.
North West Women's Development Committee
- She is particularly passionate, engaging and warm, and inspired everyone.
Tracks and Trail Committee
- The feedback we received from our clients was very positive and I am sure a lot of them went away to live their dreams.
Tom Moore, CFP, Charter Financial Planning Limited
- Brigitte spoke passionately and was inspiring.
- To say Brigitte's speech was utterly enthralling and inspiring is an understatement. One does not go through life generally meeting people who have actually climbed the highest peak on Earth and to meet someone like Brigitte who has such a wonderfully understated demeanour about her was an absolute pleasure. My staff appreciated the opportunity to meet someone like her and she has been an inspiration to achieve our own goals, which is to climb our own Everest. I would highly recommend Brigitte to anyone considering a key note speaker designed to create a feeling where pushing the envelope, embracing the unknown and striving to go to new heights is the desired outcome. That outcome has certainly been achieved with my staff through an articulate and spellbinding speech.
Carl Le Souef, Chief Executive, Private Formula
- I was particularly impressed at your ability to link your goal setting and experiences mountain climbing with the theme of the conference, and make it especially relevant to the audience. Your ability to relate your experiences to the experiences and needs of those emergency service workers was outstanding. Your presentation was 'down to earth', hugely interesting and most importantly, inspiring to all who had the good fortune to be there that night. The key messages will stay with the audience for a long time.
Bruce Esplin, Emergency Services Commissioner
- Many at the Gathering knew that they were living their dreams however Brigitte helped them to understand that looking for and reaching out to their own Everest means that that they will be leading women - both within their families and their communities – thank you for giving us this message. For many of these rural women, understanding that they are leading in their community is a powerful message and one that will indeed scratch more than the surface in their communities.
Caroline Brown, Women in Rural Industries Program
- Brigitte made a genuine connection with her audience. She engaged them and gave them a real sense of the journey. She related it to their experience and expectations. Participants have reported this session was the most valuable. It reinforced the importance of setting goals in their lives. Brigitte's willingness to talk with participants after the presentation allowed them to absorb some of her determination into their own goal setting and ways of acting.
Group Training Association of NSW Inc
- You are the talk of ANZ at the moment. The girls have gone back spouting your praises. You were absolutely wonderful and very endearing to the guests as well. A true delight. Thanks again Brigitte.
ANZ Financial Planning
- Brigitte is a lovely person. She was enthusiastic about her assignment and happy to meet and mingle with guests. It was a pleasure to have her with us. She is a genuinely warm person, and unaffected by her own outstanding personal achievements.
- Very conscientious. Our Executive Manager loved her natural manner and approach to her topic. A delight to work with.
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Brigitte was very personable, natural and engaging.
Department of Justice, Victims Support Agency
- One Step at a Time
- Scaling New Heights
- The Mountains in Your Life
- Thriving in a New World
- Working Together
"Carol Pederson was amazing in securing Margie Warrell to speak for WiRV. Her service was exceptional. She was always responsive to any requests we had. I would love to work with Carol and Margie again."
Subscribe to our newsletter