Cal Wilson came across the Tasman in 2003 and has gone on to become one of our most popular comedians, a perennial favourite on television shows such as ‘Spicks and Specks’, ‘Good News Week’ and ‘Thank God You’re Here’
Her comedy career started back in New Zealand in 1990 where she was a founding member of the Court Jesters improv group, and was part of the NZ team that won the World Theatresports title in Los Angeles in 1994.
In 1997, she received the inaugural ‘Billy T Award’, New Zealand's most prestigious comedy award recognizing comedians with outstanding potential, and was judged Best Comedian 2000, by Metro Magazine. However, like all great New Zealand talent, Australia has claimed her as its own and Cal has made Melbourne her home for the past 10 years.
Her live performances demonstrate her enormous talent as a stand-up comedian. Her festival shows play to sold out houses, and garner rave reviews: In 2001 Cal won the Best Newcomer Award at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, and has performed in line up shows and solo shows to every corner of the country since. Since then, Cal has appeared three times at the prestigious, invitation only, Montreal Just For Laughs Festival, and has performed twice in her own shows at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
A much loved regular guest on television shows such as ‘Spicks and Specks’, ‘Good News Week’, ‘Have You Been Paying Attention’ and ‘Thank God You’re Here’, Cal was also the host of ABC’s ‘Sleuth 101’.
A highlight for Cal was appearing on ‘QI Live’, the Australian live stage tour with Stephen Fry and Alan Davies which then resulted in her being invited to the UK to be a guest on two episodes of the BBC television series.
If television and live performance wasn’t enough, Cal is also an experienced radio host, co-hosting Nova's national Drive Show ‘The Wrong Way Home’, with Akmal in 2007 & 2008. In 2009 she joined Dylan Lewis co -hosting mornings on Nova 100. 2010 saw her filling in for 3 months on Vega Breakfast with Ian ‘Dicko’ Dickson, after he broke his co-host Dave O'Neil, and she’s consistently a regular guest on shows across the country.
In 2013, Cal was seen on Australian TV screens as a team captain each week on SlideShow, Channel Seven’s smash hit spontaneous entertainment show.
In 2016, Cal will star as an ensemble cast member of the new Australian version of world-wide hit show Whose Line Is It Anyway. She also performed at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival 30th anniversary gala, supported Alan Carr on his national tour, was selected to perform at Just For Laughs Sydney and toured regional Australia as part of the MICF Roadshow.
Cal is also a sought after MC for corporate events, and is exceptionally handy with a glue gun.
Client Comments for Cal Wilson
Cal Wilson travels from Victoria Australia
- Cal was professional and worked the brief well, she was able to use some of the material provided and made her performance relevant to the group. I would recommend Cal for other Fosters events.
- Cal's presentation was delivered at just the right level for the audience who were ready for a good laugh and some much needed light relief!
- Highly professional, dealt with last minute changes to the running order in a relaxed and courteous manner. No request was ever too difficult. Cal Wilson did not miss a beat - including attention to detail regarding pronunciation of items in script. She kept the audience laughing and entertained throughout the whole evening.
- I can say on behalf of everyone at Banksia that Cal Wilson was an absolute delight to work with. We had to change the order of proceedings for the evening at the very last moment, but nothing was too hard for Cal. She is a consummate professional, who had the audience in stitches throughout the evening. Our client at Banksia has received much positive feedback on Cal since Friday. She lifted spirits in the room with her quirky humour and was perfect in her role as MC. We would highly recommend Cal and Saxton for any future business - and I also want to thank you for your thoroughness and efficient service. It's been great to work with such a professional team!
- The most positive comments from management that I have ever received. Cal went out of her way to learn about the organisation and to include this knowledge in her comedy.
"Honestly, I cannot find one thing that I would need to change. Staff are amazing: knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, yet totally professional. Great listeners and questioners to ensure that the end client is provided the best possible option of speakers available and to suit the brief. AMAZING. Thanks guys, you helped me to have our best rated forum in 10 plus years."
Subscribe to our newsletter