Darren Percival has achieved an outstanding reputation in Australia as an accomplished entertainer, recording artist, musician, vocal coach and singer with natural talent, imagination and skill. His voice is warm and powerful and he consistently delivers astonishing performances in a variety of different settings. Audiences everywhere are mesmerised by his stage presence, his music and his charm.
25 years ago, in the middle of his artistically inspired high school days, Darren studied piano, singing and acting at a performing arts centre in his hometown of Sydney, Australia. By the time he had graduated in 1989, Australian jazz icon James Morrison had discovered Darren, and they began a decade of musical adventures.
Throughout his career, Darren's voice has featured on numerous musical recordings, jingles and voice-overs. He released several solo albums of original music, toured as a backing vocalist and is credited on many albums by well known Australian artists. He gained a reputation as a dynamic solo vocal looping artist on the festival circuit in 2004 as Mr.Percival, with his shows Out of the Loop and Microphones.
These days, Darren is best known to audiences around the country for his soul-stirring performances on the first season of The Voice Australia, where he was coached by Keith Urban and became the 2012 runner-up. His album Happy Home debuted at #3 on the ARIA Chart and Darren went on to sell out his national tour. Happy Home was followed by 2013's A Tribute to Ray Charles and 2014's Lovelife.
Darren and his wife Amanda live with their two young children in Coolum on the Sunshine Coach, and his love for cooking, painting and swimming continues to inspire him. Currently writing and recording his own music while touring with his band, Darren has also created singing programs for children and adults in an endeavour to change the way people think about being in a choir. Few artists paint with sound - Darren Percival is art for the ears...
Client Comments for Darren Percival
- A great night, a real talent, and such a nice man.
- On behalf of Diversity@Work I would like to personally thank you for the entertainment you provided to our guests at the 11th annual Diversity@Work Employment & Inclusion Awards. You ensured that the evening was a great success. We received so much great feedback on your amazing talent.
- Darren Percival was absolutely wonderful! He had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand and really added that something special to our event that I'm sure will live long in the memories of our clients who attended. Not only that but he was also very easy to work with and was a pleasure to work with.
TFG Financial Solutions
- Darren Percival: tall, gorgeous, gracious and talented. A stand out at our conference dinner - The Voice of Local Government - truly a talented man.
Meg Fisher, Immediate Past President, ISES Sydney
- With the seemingly incongruous notion that you can meld grandeur and honesty, from Out Of The Loop comes Darren Percival. As a testament to this bizarre notion, night after night at last year's Woodford Folk Festival, Darren Percival commanded standing ovations in celebration of an artist who must and will be in the hall of honour. A Capella, performance artist, sleight of hand. Call it what you wish, because he does defy pigeonholing, but one thing is for sure, Darren Percival, with a voice created by angels, is a festival of talent in his own right.
- Occasionally you hear something that breaks a few rules - that's nice, that's exciting... but what Darren Percival does is so free, so purely musical, that rules don't even apply enough to be broken. This is music straight from the heart.
- Darren Percival is a unique act. The things he does by himself on record as well as live I can't even begin to think about without being very confused. He is a great singer who has come up with a completely new way of presenting his songs and his spirit to the world. I for one am a fan and wait with anticipation to see what he will come up with next.
- Ah! Mr Percival - is what I'd describe as a walking, talking musical instrument. A man who never ceases to amaze me with his gift, humor and generosity... and he is as unique as Australia itself. Love, light and melody. Ah! Melody...
- Listening to the insanely beautiful vocal stylings of Mr Percival can change the beat of my heart, it's that moving. See him live or hear any of his tracks and you too will become entranced. It's like he is the Piper and we are the rats.
- Darren Percival's voice is a remarkable instrument which exposes his soulful heart.
- Darren Percival is art for the ears.
- Darren and the band were great, connected well with audience and were a big part of making our dinner a great success.
Bus Association Victoria
- Darren Percival performed at our Gala Dinner and he was spectacular. With Paul Gray on piano he captivated the audience for more than 60 minutes and spent time on both the main stage and with the audience. He has a fabulous voice and a great act and we would have him back anytime. He helped make our dinner a great success.
MiTek Australia Ltd
- Darren and the band were simply awesome! Our client repeatedly told us that this was a very conservative group but Darren and the boys had everyone up on the dance floor in no time. Even the Group Executive was on stage singing at one point! They were just delightful to deal with and thoroughly professional in their communications and in their performance. I would highly recommend them and am definitely looking forward to the next opportunity we have to engage them. Thank you!
The Veritas Group
- Darren was fantastic, engaging, talented and a true professional.
- Fantastic - Darren Percival is an absolute professional, a great voice, funny... the whole package.
New South Wales Minerals Council Ltd
- Darren Percival wowed the attendees at our Gala and Awards dinner. His performance coupled with his audience engagement was superb - it made the night.
Australasian Association of Convenience Stores (AACS)
- Darren on-stage was incredibly professional and has a wonderful gift with his stage presence and ability to work the crowd. He has perfect pitch when performing unaccompanied and his rich tone of voice is very easy on the ear. He is truly a class act and was perfect for the calibre of event we hosted. Darren off-stage was found to be very down-to-earth and easy going. He is a really genuine (and humorous!) guy and we very much hope that we can have Darren perform at another event soon!
Australian Dairy Industry Council (ADIC)
Topic SynopsesHarmonic Solutions
Sing together in harmony with Australia's leading spontaneous choirmaster - Darren Percival. Participants will be involved, engaged and transported in this interactive workshop filled with helpful tools created to explore, strengthen and unleash the human voice. Gifted with more than just a voice, Darren Percival can move people and for the past 25 years he has been on a quest to change the way we think about being in a choir.
From a young age we use our vocal chords and over time we find ourselves relying on speech, vocal sounds and the powerful force of singing to express our ideas, emotions, intentions and deepest desires. We have so many ways to communicate but none are more immediate and expressive than our own voices. Does your team need to be instantly connected, thoroughly invigorated and positively inspired? Invite Darren to your next conference or special event and experience the resounding results and abundant sonic bliss of his Harmonic Solutions.
Vocal workshops can be scheduled for 15 minutes to four hours.
Up Close and Percival
Solo or with accompaniment, Darren will light up your cocktail party, intimate dinner or event with this musical offering.
There is something special about artists performing in small clubs, a connection with the audience that is harder to achieve in the big rooms. Darren is at home in both settings but understands that the 'unplugged' concept works perfectly at events where the audience wants to mingle or when they need to be engaged in the performance even though the space is smaller.
Darren has become aware over the years that his clients are overjoyed that they have witnessed one of Australia's finest voices in this intimate setting. Consider Darren Percival the next time your event needs to be up close and personal!
Performances in this setting are scheduled for five to 30 minutes.
Dinner and Dance
Get your party started with Darren Percival and his band, playing a wide selection of music for dancing. Few entertainers can have an entire audience on the dance floor in the first song, but Darren has the ability to create just the right level of musical excitement to transform any ballroom, auditorium or marquee into a dynamic celebration.
For over 20 years clients have enjoyed Darren's uplifting performances; it is obvious from his long list of achievements that he cares about each performance and it is this attention to detail that continues to inspire everyone around him.
At your next event combine the dancing set with an intimate mode set for two appearances by one of Australia's most loved live performers.
Performances in this setting are scheduled for five to 15 minutes at dinner and up to 75 minutes at dance.
A Tribute to Ray Charles
For large events and elaborate dinners, Darren Percival presents A Tribute to Ray Charles. Featuring a 12 piece band, including guest backing vocalists and a four-piece horn section, this is a sophisticated party machine. Relive the decadence of the good old days with a big band next to your dance floor.
Released in November 2012, Darren's second album is a tribute to his childhood hero Ray Charles. Classic songs by Ray and other artists make this show enthralling for your seated guests in a concert style setting, or rushing to the dance floor to be invigorated and transported back in time with this nostalgic musical ride. Swinging and soulful, big, bold and brassy, this is Darren at his finest!
Performances in this setting are scheduled for 45 to 75 minutes.
"Very pleased to do business with you, again and again... see you again!"
Department of Health
Subscribe to our newsletter