Dr David Morgan is the former Chief Executive Officer of Westpac Banking Corporation (where he held the position from 1999 to 2008) and former Chairman of the Australian Bankers' Association.
He is currently a non-executive director of BHP Billiton Ltd and a partner of the US-based specialist investment firm JC Flowers. He is also Chairman of the company's Australian operations.
Prior to joining Westpac, Dr Morgan worked at the International Monetary Fund in Washington in the 1970s and the Federal Treasury in the 1980s. He headed all major areas of the Treasury before being appointed the Senior Deputy Secretary for the Hawke-Keating federal government, contributing to government policy for the financial sector including the floating of the Australian dollar and financial deregulation more generally.
Dr Morgan holds a Bachelors degree in Economics (Honours), and also received a Master of Science in Economics (Distinction) and a Doctor of Philosophy (Economics) from the London School of Economics, and completed the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School.
He was made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) in 2009 'for service to the finance sector as a leader in the development of policies affecting the regulation of financial institutions, corporate social responsibility, and economic reform.'
He is an articulate, powerful and highly motivational speaker with a wealth of business experience.
Client Comments for David Morgan
David Morgan travels from United Kingdom
- David's talk was riveting, perfectly pitched to the audience, and well targeted to the CCO members about the future and their customers concerns. The spirited questioning after and the discussion generated was exactly what we hoped to achieve. We couldn't be happier.
- Our thanks to David for taking the time to prepare and deliver an excellent presentation at INVEST09. David's presentation was rated an outstanding 4.7 out of 5 by the delegates. It was also appreciated that David decided to open it up to the press with some very favourable results highlighting the strength of our banking industry. David went out of his way to talk to many of our guests and we had many great comments on the feedback forms about his approachability as well. I was impressed with his preparation and attention to detail - he was extremely well received.
Perennial Investment Partners Ltd
- Just a short note to say how wonderful David Morgan was as our opening speaker last week. So pleasant to deal with prior to the event and such a pleasure at conference. A true professional. Thank to you also for coming to the event yourself to ensure everything was ok for both David and us as a client.
- Alternative Thinking about Business, Technology & Sustainability
- Business Sustainability and the 21st Century Carbon Constrained World
- Doing Business During the Global Financial Crisis and Recession: the Implications for Strategy, Leadership and Management
- Reflections on a Life in the Economic Fast Lane
- The Domestic & Global Economies
- The Global Financial Crisis and its Implications for Australia
- The Keys of Effective Leadership
"Carol Pederson was amazing in securing Margie Warrell to speak for WiRV. Her service was exceptional. She was always responsive to any requests we had. I would love to work with Carol and Margie again."
Subscribe to our newsletter