Dean Jones wrote the book on one-day cricket - literally. He played a new game in which he walked down the pitch to fast bowlers, ran frenetically between wickets and turned fielding into an attacking occupation. He was a natural showman who was for a while as popular as any other player in Australia. Yet he was also a classic cricketer who once made a triple-century for Victoria and became their record run maker. He averaged 46 in Tests, and in the tied Test at Madras in 1986-87 played what many experts have said was the greatest innings played for Australia (210)... he ended up in hospital on a saline drip after losing seven kilograms!
Since retirement Dean Jones has carved out a niche as a forthright commentator in the subcontinent and locally on TV and radio.
Dean's business interests have included the event management of the opening of Stadium Australia in 1999 before the Sydney Olympics that saw Australia play against the World in soccer and INXS reform for the first time without Michael Hutchence.
Dean was also one of the instigators in the creation of the Indian 20/20 Cricket League that has gone on to become the most lucrative completion in the World.
In 2003 Dean and his wife Jane walked 1150km from Sydney to Melbourne, raising over $1.4 million dollars for the Bone Marrow Donor Institute in aid of their search for a cure for Leukaemia. In 2006 he was awarded the Order of Australia for his service to cricket as a player, coach and commentator, and to the community through fundraising activities for organisations assisting people with cancer.
2012 saw Dean reach the pinnacle of a second sport: what was always a love soon became a challenge when he accepted an offer from the Australian PGA to turn professional. At the age of 51, Dean played against many seasoned campaigners on the Australian Seniors Tour and proving extremely competitive, finishing in the top three place getters on four occasions prior to having to retire due to his cricket commentary commitments.
Dean now travels the world speaking to corporate groups about the fundamentals of goal setting, teamwork and leadership.
Client Comments for Dean Jones
Dean Jones travels from Victoria Australia
- I don't need to write a lot. I am NOT a cricketing guru nor do I follow it so I had no preconceptions. Dean talked a bit about cricket and lot about partnership, teamwork and trust. I could not have got better mileage from a speaker. He was engaging, open and accessible to the attendees. Dean is a great speaker who delivered in great style and was the value in our evening. I would recommend him to any of the other teams and more than happy for us to use him on future functions.
- Great speaker, full of energy, life and some great stories. The group loved him.
- Goal Setting: Focus, vision and clarity
Topic SynopsesGoal Setting: Focus, vision and clarity
Dean Jones' success in sport and the corporate arena stems from careful planning and design. His articulate delivery and wealth of real life examples provide a wonderful backdrop to the Dean Jones methodology of goal setting...
1. Vision - clearly visualise your desired outcome.
2. Measurable, positive and timely - goals must be measured against performance criteria, a defined exercise on each day with a clear statement as to when the goal will be achieved.
3. Use medium level goals - goals need to be attainable but challenging; hard work and the satisfaction of achieving them are both important. The process can then be repeated.
4. Document goals down and monitor progress – your goals need to be written down in a form that can be regularly monitored.
5. Break your long range goals into bite size short term ones - strategic short term goals are the vehicle for long term major changes.
6. Set positive goals rather than negative goals - focusing on success rather than trying not to fail is critical.
7. Ask others to support your goals - sharing your goals or those of other hugely impacts the likeliehood of their being achieved.
8. Set team as well as individual goals – if you are part of a team, the strategic building of goal systems and their consolidation into team goals is critical.
Dean Jones takes you through a step by step process in building personal and/or team goals. His presentations are rich with real life examples of goals and how they were achieved... and there's no shortage of entertainment!
"Thank you for your fantastic service and assistance!"
Subscribe to our newsletter