On 3 May 1994 Senior Constable Derrick McManus was shot 14 times with a high-powered semi-automatic weapon. With broken bones and severed arteries he lay bleeding to death for three hours before he could be rescued, during South Australia's longest running siege. The siege continued for 40 hours, with some 2,000 rounds of ammunition fired during this period, most prior to his rescue. Incredibly, Derrick survived and in doing so demonstrated that individuals can defy the odds, that nothing is impossible.
Derrick is an inspiring example of the power of the human spirit to rise above challenges, overcome adversity and achieve the extraordinary.
What followed is a sometimes heart-wrenching, sometimes amusing, but always an absorbing determination to survive, set goals, build personal belief and overcome change. In so doing, overcome the physical and emotional fall-out - with the ultimate goal of returning to active duty as a member of the elite South Australia Police STAR Division.
Derrick has been a member of S.A. Police for over 20 years, being awarded the inaugural SA Police Bravery Medal in 1989 when, prior to STAR Division, he and his partner wrestled a gun from the hands of the man intent on shooting them. He also has a long history of community involvement ranging some 20 years and was awarded an Australia Day Young Citizen of the Year Award.
Through his role in STAR Division he has run Team Building workshops for leading companies and sporting bodies, has addressed conferences and seminars and worked with non-profit organisations and community groups. In 1997 he was appointed Ambassador to the Australian Red Cross Blood Service, having received 24 units of blood and blood products following the Nuriootpa shooting.
Derrick is a sought-after speaker with a natural, dynamic style of presenting. His story is an inspiration of what can be achieved by sheer guts and setting achievable goals. It also highlights the part that belief in self and attitude play in achieving results and in the condition of the human spirit. Above all, the account of his experience is a motivational tale of one man's positive approach against adversity and the success this approach achieved. Everyone has something to learn - both personally and professionally - about themselves from Derrick McManus' amazing experiences.
The high level of interest in Derrick's story combined with his presentation skills and leadership qualities has resulted in a demand for his services as a motivational and professional development speaker.
Client Comments for Derrick McManus
Derrick McManus travels from South Australia Australia
- So powerful that we booked Derrick for conferences in four states.
Austbrokers Holdings Ltd
- Westfield was looking for a speaker who could demonstrate the importance of (1) operating as a professional team, (2) planning and preparing for all eventualities, (3) setting and delivering goals. Derrick's life experience was a natural fit and in addition he was able to structure his speech to touch on our corporate objectives. The audience was inspired by his courage, tenacity and honesty and having listened to and/or engaged over 20 motivational speakers I rate Derrick as one of the best we have encountered.
- You'll get a lot out of Derrick. He holds your interest. He will inspire you. He is so energetic and enthusiastic. Most importantly, he shows a genuine interest in you and what you need
Macquarie Wealth Management
- Derrick's situation was such that I felt many parallels could be drawn to illustrate goal setting, teamwork, perseverance and determination, training, focus and courage. He delivered his talk in a very natural, open and insightful manner. It had a very positive effect on my staff.
- If Derrick could conjure up all the will power to endure what he did, and win through, then so can we." This is exactly the commitment we were looking for in our people.
Mitsubishi Motors Aust.
- 'Prepare to Win' Physically, Mentally and Emotionally – No Matter What The Challenge
- Defy the Odds Even When They're Stacked Against You
- Develop the ‘Never Say Die’ Attitude
- Enjoy Laughing 'Out Loud' – Even in the Midst of Your Worst Nightmare
- If You Think You Can, You Will
- Inside Your Head
- Overcoming Trauma - Learning to Live
- That’s a Bright Idea
- The 7 Pillars of Tactical Leadership
- Unbeatable Teams