Evelyn M. Field is a practising counselling psychologist. She has been appointed a Fellow of the Australian Psychological Society and one of their media spokespersons and has been the subject of over 800 media interviews on a wide range of topics, appearing on the Today Show, Good Morning Australia, A Current Affair, 7.30 Report, Today Tonight and Seven News, as well as spending time as Resident Psychologist for Channel Ten's 9 AM with David and Kim.
Evelyn was an Accredited Speaking Member of National Speakers Association of Australia and has spoken in New Zealand, Belgium, Spain, USA, Vietnam and Israel. She gives regular keynote addresses and workshops to schools, organisations and therapists. Evelyn developed a social survival skills model from her personal and professional experience. It has been presented to adolescents, parents, teachers, health professionals and organisations.
Evelyn's unique presentations are entertaining, ethical and educational. She uses a variety of techniques such as cases, stories, cartoons, and role-plays, to engage participants and help them develop new skills.
Bully Busting, published in 1999, was Evelyn's first self-help book for parents, children and educators. It is based on her six social survival skills; it has sold over 23,000 copies and has been translated into Italian, Croatian and Arabic. The updated version Bully Blocking, published in 2007 and now also a bestseller, has been translated into Czech and Korean. Evelyn also wrote a chapter on parenting for Bullying Solutions for the National Coalition Against Bullying. Evelyn’s latest book Bully Blocking at Work (Australian Academic Press) was launched in 2010 and the second part, Strategies for Surviving Workplace Bullying was released (2011) by Australian Academic Press. She has also released BULLYfree in the Workplace: How to survive workplace bullying, a DVD with Tony Johnston.
Evelyn stands on the advisory council of the National Centre Against Bullying and was on the board of VOCAL (Victims of Crime Assistance League, Victoria) for five years, on the board of the Mental Health Foundation of Victoria for 20 years and was for 11 years Honorary Secretary of the Australian Association for Mental Health.
Evelyn speaks to organisations about managing workplace bullying and to schools about school bullying, helping students build their emotional and social resilience, bully blocking skills for kids and parenting skills.
Client Comments for Evelyn Field
Evelyn Field travels from Victoria Australia
- Australia's highest profile expert in school bullying.
- Many thanks for the wonderful workshop you provided for us... I have spoken with a number of the people
School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Monash University
- Evelyn's workshop is entertaining, informative and hard hitting. She brings together years of practical
experience, the latest in theory and an extremely practical set of approaches. She incorporates proactive and
preventive strategies in her very comprehensive program. Evelyn is at the cutting edge in both research and
practice. She brings both passion and compassion to her work, which will be widely read. This is a most
important development in this area.
William Glasser Institute
- Thank you Evelyn, My impression was that the presentation was highly professional and you put a lot of effort into tailoring it to our context. You included a very large amount of rich, useful and interesting information.
University of Melbourne
- Evelyn's workshop was energetic and dynamic. She has a thorough knowledge of the subject and delivered practical strategies to deal with bullying in the organisation. This workshop gave me an understanding of the real life issues of bullying and how to control it. My previous effort with an online course was a waste of time and money. The day with Evelyn made me believe the organisation really is listening and working to heal the damage done by an ingrained bullying culture. A refreshingly different and realistic perspective on bullying. New, challenging, yet affirming that this endemic problem can be successfully dealt with.
Performance Improvement Seminars
- I am writing to thank you for your participation in the National Safe Schools Week Launch. We were extremely pleased with the event and believe it was in large part due to your ability to connect with the audience and to relate safe schools messages in such an appealing, warm and engaging manner.
Department of Education, Science and Training
- Thank you for your great presentation. We have a wide range of abilities, behaviours and backgrounds and found your presentation was a great reinforcement and motivation to our practices and culture here. I have taken onboard reminders to ourselves how we can continually learn new strategies and keep the positive momentum up. I liked the way your presentation was honest and you kept it real.
East Gippsland Specialist School
- Thank you for the wonderful session you ran at school on Monday. The information you gave was informative and helpful. There were so many terrific suggestions.
Trinity Grammar School
- Evelyn Field's presentation 'Social and Emotional Resilience at Work' to the staff of the Academy of Mary Immaculate proved to be relevant, informative and entertaining. In a gentle and non-confrontational style Evelyn guided staff to reflect upon aspects of their life which hinder or harm their capacity to cope and to refocus on their strengths and positive strategies for change. Evelyn's presentation examined aspects of resilience from various angles including workplace bullying and associated behaviours and more importantly she provided people with manageable strategies for change. Evelyn's style generated a relaxed atmosphere which allowed for a forum to openly discuss problem areas and ways in which to improve the work environment. We would wholeheartedly recommend this PD.
Academy of Mary Immaculate
- Thank you for your wonderful presentation - very insightful and thorough. I would highly recommend it to others!
Australian Psychological Society
- Respect and Resilience at Work: Managing Workplace Bullying
- Managing Workplace Bullying Complaints
- Social Survival Skills: Developing Social and Emotional Resilience
- Bully Blocking for Kids
- Preventing and Managing Bullying at School
Topic SynopsesRespect and Resilience at Work: Managing Workplace Bullying (keynote, half or full day)
Workplace bullying costs Australian business billions of dollars in costs, reduced productivity and personal injuries. Evelyn M. Field is an expert on bullying and its devastating effects on people and organizations. She has developed a unique approach to training senior management, team leaders, supervisors and staff about understanding and managing workplace bullying. Her approach is based upon respecting employees by changing dysfunctional work cultures, developing collaborative systems and reducing adversarial approaches. She employs her social and emotional resilience framework to empower employees to take greater responsibility for themselves by developing practical skills to block bullying behaviours and survive difficult, stressful workplaces.
Managing Workplace Bullying Complaints
There are two ways to manage bullying complaints. The traditional path is adversarial, often regarded as the 'name, blame and shame' approach and includes investigations and legal action. Apart from being expensive, exacerbating personal injuries and organizational costs, it neglects the true causes and consequences of workplace bullying, which is caused by management factors. Evelyn M. Field has developed a unique approach based upon respecting employees, developing collaborative systems and reducing adversarial approaches. Known as 'Collaborative Solutions', it is based upon validation, safety and creating more effective, ethical management systems. It combines training and staff interviews, to assist in restructuring and improving management systems, workplace culture and prevent future workplace bullying.
Social Survival Skills: Developing Social and Emotional Resilience (for students or adults; keynote, half or full day)
People who can connect successfully with different types of people cope better with the 'ups and downs' of life. Socially and emotionally resilient people are happier, healthier, more productive and successful. Evelyn Field has spent many years developing a unique social survival skills model that can be applied in any social interaction. The participant gains skills to improve their emotional intelligence, social competence and ability to survive among different and difficult social groups at home, school or work. These skills includes expressing feelings assertively, understanding behaviours, maintaining self-esteem, developing effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills, creating a power pack to block challenging behaviours and developing social networks.
Bully Blocking for Kids (keynote, half or full day)
More than one in five children are bullied at school, and although many schools protect students from bullying, they aren’t always successful. Meanwhile, most adults are well-intentioned but give the target the wrong advice. No wonder some children can't cope, study, socialise, self-harm or sue. However, bully blocking skills are actually very easy for most children to learn. Evelyn Field can give your attendees six simple, proven strategies to help children block a bully! These skills include managing their survival instinct by regulating feelings, understanding instead of blame, rebuilding self esteem, developing effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills, creating a power pack to block bullies and developing a supportive, social network.
Preventing and Managing Bullying at School (keynote, half or full day)
More than one in five children are bullied at school. No wonder that bullying is a major problem, many schools are still unsafe! Evelyn M. Field has written two best-selling books on school bullying, her knowledge and experience contributes to her unique approach in training teachers, parents and students to understand, prevent and manage bullying. Seminars provide a description of school bullying, including causes, short and long term injuries. Preventive action entails a collaborative, whole school approach, which also includes teachers, parents and bystanders. The core of Evelyn's work is her Social Survival Skills model, which empowers students to block bullying behaviours themselves, regardless of what their school does!
"Saxtons were with us all the way."
ANZ Private and Trustees
Subscribe to our newsletter