Professor Geoffrey Blainey has a long and distinguished career in academic circles. For twenty years he was a professor of economic history and then Ernest Scott Professor of History at the University of Melbourne. He also held the chair of Australian Studies at Harvard University. In 1988 in New York he received the International Britannica Award for excellence in the dissemination of knowledge for the benefit of humankind. A member of various federal government committees, he was Chairman of the Australia Council for four years and Chairman of the Australia-China Council for five years and in 2001 was chairman for the National Council for the Centenary of Federation. In the early 1980s he was Visiting Professor of Australian Studies at Harvard University. In 1988 he received the International Britannica Award for excellence in the dissemination of knowledge for the benefit of humankind.
He is the author of many books, including The Tyranny of Distance and The Causes of War. Amongst his recent titles are A Short History of the World (2000), a best seller now issued in many editions and translations extending from Italian to Portugese and A Short History of the Twentieth Century, released in 2005.
Professor Blainey is a witty speaker with a warm, approachable manner which delights his audiences. His presentations draw on economic events and their effects on the future.
Client Comments for Geoffrey Blainey
Geoffrey Blainey travels from Victoria Australia
- Delightful to work with. Excellent, thought provoking speech. Willingly accepted his role as adjudicator and guest speaker.
- Did whatever he could to help us get the most from the night. He's a real charmer and his talk went down a treat.
LonDog & Associates
- Professor Blainey gave a strong and measured presentation that kept the audience's attention. We were very pleased with his keynote address.
- A very personable presentation. Quite informative and presented with some humour. A very likeable guest speaker who concentrated more on the present and future rather than the past, at my request. The club had 80 guests many of whom made favourable comments to me as they were leaving. I would thoroughly recommend this speaker.
RACV Club, Melbourne
- Indications show that your presentation was of an extremely high standard and much appreciated by all.
Market Research Society of Australia
- Professor Blainey went out of his way to greet people, to involve himself with the group and to be a part of our meeting. His presentation was well prepared, delivered with warmth and reflection, and held the audience's attention throughout. Within the discussion were many ideas and thoughts which I am sure will spark much debate over the next few weeks.
Strathmore Secondary College, Victoria
- Marvellous performance!
- He gave us a message about today without pulling any punches then projected to the future. Some found him controversial, all found him thought provoking and vitally interesting.
Rotary Region 9810, Melbourne
- Outstanding speaker.
Australian Masonic Research Council
- The presentation was timely and focused on the topic given. The presentation skills of Professor Blainey were excellent and he got the conference off to a brilliant start.
International Assoc. of Insolvency Practitioners
- Interesting, informative and thought provoking presentation. Your commitment in time and effort to preparing and presenting the address was most appreciated.
- Excellent presentation by Professor Blainey at our Australian Chamber Lunch. He fitted our requirements perfectly and our interstate and Victorian delegates were not only informed but entertained by the stories and anecdotes from the Professor. Question time overflowed and had to be continued in the River Room Foyer to enable the delegates further discussion with Prof Blainey before the next afternoon session started.
Victorian Chamber of Fresh Produce Wholesalers
- We had a great night on Foundation Day. You said to me 'Geoffrey is a true professional' and how right you were. 45 minutes without notes, funny, knowledgeable, wise, even at times shrewd.
A masterful performance. Thank him. Thank you.
Parramatta City Council
- Professor Blainey was very impressive. Many delegates at the conference were extremely impressed at how he could speak without notes and the number of facts and figures that he was able to quote without referring to prepared prompts.
Royal Australian Airforce
- Australia and the World in the Next 15 Years
- Global Financial Crises: Some Lessons from History
- What are the Ingredients of a First Class Leader? Some Clues from the Past
- Who Were Australia's Greatest Leaders?
"Your level of service and follow up was excellent."
Industry Capability Network Ltd
Subscribe to our newsletter