Hicks AM MBE FRSA
Gill Hicks is considered to be one of the most thought provoking, powerful and life affirming speakers in Australia and the UK. She is globally known as an Advocate for Sustainable Peace and a valuable resource in Countering Violent Extremism.
Her devotion to making a personal greater contribution and positive difference to the urgency of building peace was realised when she was made permanently injured in the London terrorist Bombings on July 7th, 2005.
Her ‘lived experience’, from survival to rehabilitation as a double amputee created a clear demarcation from all she had known before the bombings, being at the helm of some of the UK’s most prestigious and respected institutions – including Publishing Director of the architecture, design and contemporary culture magazine, Blueprint, Director of the Dangerous Minds design consultancy and Head Curator at the Design Council, along with being one of the first women to be invited to become a Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (the RSA).
Her 2nd Life is built on what she describes as a series of conscious choices, of mindfulness and being aware of the importance of the moment. Sharing what she has learnt about herself, about humanity and the extraordinary and what she believes is an inherent ability to not only face but to rise in the wake of adversity is not only inspiring, but it is a valuable insight into what is possible in life.
Client Comments for Gill Hicks
- Gill Hicks is the most fascinating guest I've ever had on my program.
Gill's ability to discover moments of kindness and insight (and even humour) in her ordeal is astonishing and deeply moving.
She tells her story in such a compelling manner; she generated a flood of warm responses from people who simply had to stop what they were doing, and just listen, spellbound, to her voice.
Richard Fidler, ABC Radio
- You could hear a pin drop, in all my years in events management I have never seen an audience so gripped by every word, Gill inspired us all, amazing...
Adelaide Convention Centre
- In her speaking engagements on behalf of Leonard Cheshire Disability she always manages to move and inspire people so their combined energy and creativity can be used positively to benefit others less able.
Leonard Cheshire Disability
- Gill held the audience spellbound for well over an hour. The presentation was both confronting and inspirational. It gave our members a new perspective on prioritising their lives and what is truly important as well as the sheer determination in beating the odds... truly a unique experience.
YPO Education Chair
- Gill is a constant reminder that our work is hugely valued and appreciated, and has become a dear friend to many. Her frequent and overwhelmingly positive comments about St Thomas', her fundraising efforts and her willingness to talk candidly about her experiences as a patient and of her recovery continue to enrich the lives of everyone who has met her since those tragic events on July 7.
Guy's St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- Gill was the perfect speaker for the end of day - she had the audience enthralled and the evaluation feedback was 100% positive. I would have absolutely NO hesitation in recommending Gill to any event.
Aged & Community Services Australia
- Engaging warm generous - everything one could ask for from a presenter's perspective.
Cairns Regional Council
- What can I say, it was absolutely insanely amazing; theatrical, moving and beautiful!
Wired for Wonder
- The presentation from Gill... What an inspirational presentation and a great speaker... very honest and authentic.
Mental Illness Fellowship South Australia
- You could have heard a pin drop when Gill was doing her presentation.
She is very generous in sharing private & intimate moments and teaches her audience just how precious life is. Every person I spoke to just loved her and her message and our CEO said that Gill was the best speaker that she had ever heard.
City of Yarra
- Real and raw. Gill is a lovely and brave woman.
Inspiring and a fantastic way to end the conference. I wasn't aware of her story, and was touched and inspired by her presentation to us.
Wow. Gill was amazing – so humble and funny and such an amazing story of courage and resilience. The closing conference session delivered in spades.
A remarkable life story and one that will stick with me for a long time. If we could measure engagement on the faces of the delegates over the 3 days, she won hands down.
An absolutely brilliant choice as the closing speaker of a conference that was all about shedding fear and embracing a new world.
Recruitment & Consulting Services Association
- Accessibility – exploring ability within disability
- Choose choice - The greatest power we have is the power to choose how we want to respond and react to every single moment of our lives.
- Facing the Unknown: A story of achievement over adversity
- One Unknown
- Peace – imagine if it was a Verb!
- Surviving Life – what are the attributes we need to live the best, most rewarding and fulfilling life possible.
- What’s the Worst that Can Happen? – exploring what ‘we’ fear. Imagine if we took fear out of living – what could we achieve?
"I feel very comfortable working with Saxton and will continue to use your service because you provide excellent clients and service."
Wodonga Senior Secondary College
Subscribe to our newsletter