Virtuoso jazz musician, James Morrison, is a multi-instrumentalist who is highly regarded in the international music world. Mostly known as a trumpet player, he is also a brilliant technician on trombone, euphonium, flugelhorn, tuba, saxophones and piano. A musician of startling originality, James was first noticed overseas as a precocious teenager, when he represented Australia at Jazz Festivals in Monterey and Los Angeles.
As well as winning the MO Award as Australian Performer of the Year (1990) and the Ricky May Performer of the Year award, James has had an impact on the international stage. From 1992 to 1994, he headlined a critically acclaimed world tour with The Ray Brown Trio, playing in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, Malaysia, France, Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Finland and Germany. He has appeared internationally with his own group and as soloist alongside Wynton Marsalis, Frank Sinatra, Cab Calloway, Woody Shaw, Whitney Houston, Dizzy Gillespie and the Philip Morris Superb.
James is head of Morrison Records an independent label dedicated to the best of jazz. He also spends time in education, master classes and workshops in many countries. He is patron of six youth bands and awards a yearly scholarship to further the music education of young Australians. In 1997, James was awarded the Order of Australia and in 2000, he appeared at the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Olympics.
Client Comments for James Morrison
James Morrison travels from New South Wales Australia
- An outstanding performer, with a great trio.
Australian Boarding Schools Association
- The James Morrison Trio was an absolute standout. James is the ultimate professional.
Howards Storage World
- Feedback has all been 100% positive.
- Excellent. James Morrison was a pleasure to work with. Mr Morrison and his band were generous with their time and the performance was superb.
Camberwell Grammar School
- The feedback I received on the evening from the business operators in attendance has been extremely positive.
- The presentation received considerable praise from those present for the thought provoking issues that you raised and for the interesting manner in which you presented those issues.
Australian Retailers Association
- James Morrison, Emma Paske and Phillip Stack were fantastic. Amazing rapport on stage and technically they were brilliant. Morrison is a born performer. Definitely the best entertainment we've put on for the Welcome Dinner
Australian Industry Group
- All That Jazz with the James Morrison Quintet
"Sam is always so helpful and understands the needs of our group, recommending some great speakers on several occasions now. Thank you Sam."
Boronia and Ringwood Administrative Group
Subscribe to our newsletter