At the height of his career former champion jumps jockey Jamie Evans was worth a small fortune riding winners around the world. In 1997 he won the Coral Cup riding for the Queen Mother and could have never imagined the hell he was about endure for the next 10 years!
Following his brother's suicide and some horrific injuries, Jamie became addicted to heroin and alcohol, and plummeted from a dynamic career and million dollar home to the unthinkable. Heroin addiction saw him lose his freedom, his family and temporarily his sanity.
Jamie's story of going to the gates of hell and back is truly moving and inspirational, also carrying a powerful message of how quickly someone's world can be turned upside down by making the wrong choices.
Client Comments for Jamie Evans
Jamie Evans travels from Victoria Australia
- Jamie sends a powerful message to all who hear his story and the delivery of his presentation is outstanding.
- Jamie Evans was invited to speak to the eight new players joining our club. After a short video showing some of Jamie's career highs and lows, he gave a personal account of his experiences and then answered questions from the floor. Jamie spoke candidly about his battle with drugs and alcohol which was an eye opener for the players to hear how a chain of events led to the downward spiral in his life. Jamie's brutal honesty was confronting, but it was also an effective way to get his key messages across to the players. I met with Jamie on a couple of occasions before his presentation to discuss the outcomes that I was hoping to achieve, and Jamie was extremely receptive to this, and able to modify his presentation to suit the needs of our audience. I have no hesitation in recommending Jamie to speak to sportspeople or others about his career, and the lessons he learnt and wants others to learn from mistakes. I look forward to using Jamie in the future as I have had great feedback from the players involved.
Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union
- Jamie's story is one that should be incorporated into any educational program that is presented to elite athletes, young or old. Jamie's journey from reaching the pinnacle of his sporting life to the depths of despair is an emotionally charged rollercoaster, which creates opportunities for teaching and learning about the trappings and dangers of success in sport, when not balanced with perspective and outside interests. Jamie's courage and honesty shine throughout this presentation and the rawness of the story leaves the audience reflecting on their own behavior and choices. Ostensibly an education on the dangers of drug and alcohol use, Jamie's story is much deeper, with many other messages entwined in his presentation. For anyone involved with coaching, mentoring, managing or even parenting of elite athletes, this story is a must.
- As part of our ongoing leadership program, Jamie Evans presented his story through a short DVD followed by a question and answer segment that prompted great discussion based upon his personal battles with drug and alcohol addiction. While the sports differ greatly, the DVD depicted clearly the rise and fall of an elite athlete and displayed the obsessive behaviors, and triggers, that cause his demise. The presentation captivated the playing group as they saw the brutality of being a top jockey and then the open portrayal of the personal battles confronting Jamie through his addiction to alcohol and drugs. After a short introduction, the players were quick to ask a range of questions that further enhanced the session. Jamie's willingness to answer any question honestly provided a forum where the players were fully engaged. While his story was a journey from triumph to tragedy, the strongest message reinforced by Jamie was that addiction was a disease and not a choice. This understanding further reinforced the need for genuine help and support for those experiencing alcohol, drug or gambling problems. Jamie's presentation offered a personal insight into a horrendous journey. The willingness to share some of his achievements and darkest times made for an engaging and informative session.
Hawthorn Football Club
- The Carlton Football Club had the pleasure of listening to a forthright and no-holds barred account from former Australia and international champion jumps jockey Jamie Evans. Following a 10 minute video detailing Jamie's achievements and his personal battles, Jamie spoke of his struggle with drugs and alcohol and the difficulties he experienced. It was a powerful and very much open account of the ups and downs of beign a champion sportsman, and left an indelible message to all who heard his story. The manner in which the message was delivered was a feature of the presentation. Several of the players contacted me afterwards to mention how they were very impressed with Jamie's story. I would have no hesitation in recommending that Jamie's story be told to any sporting institution.
Carlton Football Club
- The Lost Rider
"Trish and Tamie as always were outstanding."
Subscribe to our newsletter