Jon Dee was the 2010 NSW Australian of the Year. As one of Australia's most influential environmentalists, he's taught millions of Australians that they have the ability to effect real and positive change in their daily lives. Indeed, every time you turn on a light or do your laundry, you'll be touched by the results of one of his campaigns.
Jon initiated the lobbying campaign that led to Australia's three year phase out of incandescent light globes - a move that is saving Australians hundreds of millions of dollars. In 2010-11 he initiated and ran the successful campaign to bring about a voluntary ban on phosphates in laundry detergents. This will significantly reduce the environmental impact of the 1.9 billion laundry washes that Australian households carry out every year.
Together with Olivia Newton-John he founded National Tree Day, an event that has planted 16 million trees. He has been the main driving force behind the campaign to ban plastic bags - this has brought about bans on plastic bags in four states and territories. He has successfully lobbied for the introduction of hundreds of natural gas buses and was the Australian front person for the DVD launch of Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.
As the Founder and Managing Director of the Australian advocacy organisation Do Something!, Jon's current role is bringing about social and environmental change. His most recent success was co-organising the campaign to stop the NSW Government cutting the solar power tariff by a third. This saved $470 million for the Australians who'd gone out and installed solar panels on their rooftops.
Back in 1991, Jon co-founded Planet Ark with his good friend Pat Cash. Before leaving to start Do Something!, he headed up Planet Ark for 15 years, turning it into an Australian household name.
Internationally, he also started World Environment News and Rock Aid Armenia - a music fundraiser for which he recruited the help of Pink Floyd, Queen, Deep Purple, Bon Jovi and other rock bands. Jon's all-star version of 'Smoke on the Water' was a top 40 UK hit and featured many of the world's top rock stars.
Here and overseas, Jon is in high demand as a motivational corporate speaker. His recent Sustainable Growth book has become the definitive sustainability and efficiency guidebook for Australian business. In less than a year, it has had a print run of 90,000 copies and is being used by tens of thousands of organisations.
Since January 1st last year, Jon has undertaken 130 speeches in schools, communities and boardrooms all over Australia. His audiences are wide ranging, varying from four to 18 year olds right through to leading CEOs, community groups and farmers out in the bush.
In 2008, Jon presented the Tipping Point TV series on The Weather Channel. Broadcast on the hour, 24 hours a day for a whole year, Jon's three minute segments showed people what they could do to combat climate change. He also instigated National Recycling Week and RecyclingNearYou.com.au which is used by over a million Australians a year.
In 2009, he co-organised the world's first bottled water ban in the town of Bundanoon and co-fronted and organised the project's highly successful global media coverage. Jon's latest project is The 10 Per Cent Challenge. Backed by News Ltd, Unilever, Bunnings, Visy, Toyota and other major companies, his campaign is teaching households and businesses how to save money by cutting their usage of fuel and electricity by 10%.
Jon has directed and produced over 350 TV and radio environmental education adverts which have featured people such as Sir Richard Branson, Kylie Minogue, Pierce Brosnan, Nicole Kidman, Dustin Hoffman, Jeff Goldblum and Tom Cruise, to name but a few.
In 2009 the President of Armenia awarded Jon The Order of Honor, in recognition of Jon's work helping disadvantaged people in the Armenian earthquake zone. This is the highest honor that Armenia can bestow on a foreign citizen. His current project in Armenia is driven by Jon's belief that education can truly change children's lives. He is currently fundraising to build a new music school in the earthquake town of Gyumri. Although the earthquake happened 21 years ago, this school has still not been properly rebuilt. To that end, Jon has pulled together a team to raise the funds to rebuild a brand new music school from scratch. Half of the money needed has already been raised and the school will be teaching 250 students when it's built next year.
In 2011 the Federal Government appointed Jon as the environmental champion for the NBN. This arose from his interest in technology's ability to reduce the impact that human society has on the environment. His role is to educate the public about the NBN.
Client Comments for Jon Dee
Jon Dee travels from New South Wales Australia
- Good presentation of a difficult topic.
- Jon was exceptional - incredibly well prepared, right on target with the topic, with an interesting presentation that held the audience's attention. Jon engaged the audience both during and after the event, making a real effort to discuss issues with the audience over lunch. Jon was also most accommodating regarding media after the event. He was a pleasure to have and an asset to the event.
Central West Catchment Management Authority
- Thank you very much for taking the time to speak at Frocomm's 2010 Public Relations & Corporate Communications Conference in Sydney in August. The feedback about your speaking slot has been fantastic, with delegates voting you the joint number one best speaker along with author/speaker Gerry McCusker from PR Disasters. Your confidence on stage and your willingness to share insights into exciting case studies really appealed to the delegates. Comments from delegates like "great", "very impressive" and "inspiring" clearly show knowledge of your subject, that you are a professional public speaker, and that you truly engage with the delegates, especially in the Q&A sessions. Delegates also commented on your excellent use of visual aids such as video and photos. I would be delighted to recommend you to any conference organiser seeking a professional, confident and polished speaker.
- Jon continues to meet our expectations with regard to the content and messages he delivers in talks conducted on our behalf. He is also extremely amenable with regard to pre-event media and media interviews on the day. Jon is an asset to our current program - I could not recommend him more highly to anyone wishing to engage a relevant, informed, approachable and engaging speaker.
West Catchment Management Authority
- The feedback from delegates has been extremely positive with many saying that they identified with your simple but refreshing approach to sustainability in that it is good business sense about about doing more with less. The delegates were also very excited to receive a copy of your book, Sustainable Growth.
Association of Building Sustainability Assessors
"Everyone I dealt with was completely professional, accommodating of our needs, and provided a wonderful service at very late notice. The experience was a pleasure all round."
Subscribe to our newsletter