As one of very few people with four talks on TED.com, Julian Treasure is a sought-after international speaker. Collectively his TED talks on various aspects of sound have been viewed an estimated seven million times on the web; his TED talk on conscious listening is in the rare group that have achieved over 1.5 million views on TED.com, putting it in the top 100 TED talks of all time.
Julian's topics for keynotes or workshops include: the hidden effects of sound and noise on us all; how to improve your conscious listening; how to master powerful speaking (including public speaking); how to optimise sound for a brand or business; and how to design soundscapes for health, productivity and better relationships. His topics are vital for business, yet also profoundly engage audiences at a personal level. His dynamic and innovative use of sound in his talks makes them memorable, different and transformational experiences that are always very highly rated by delegates.
Julian is author of the seminal book Sound Business, the ?rst map of the exciting new territory of applied sound for business, now in its second edition and also published in Japanese. He has been widely featured as a sound expert in the world's media, including TIME Magazine, The Economist and The Times, TV and radio in the UK, US, Canada, Australia and Netherlands, as well as many international trade and business magazines.
Julian is founder and chairman of The Sound Agency, a UK-based consultancy that asks and answers the question: 'How does your brand sound?' TSA helps clients such as Harrods, Nokia, BP, Marks & Spencer, Helm Bank (Colombia), Waldorf Astoria and many major shopping malls across Europe to grow their business by optimising the sounds they make. Today, TSA specialises in creating effective and appropriate organic soundscapes for branded spaces. This is not about piped music; in fact very often TSA's sound audits recommend removing inappropriate music.
Julian's vision is to make the world sound beautiful, by helping individuals to make and receive sound consciously, and companies to discover that good sound is good business - which is fortunately true, as The Sound Agency has shown. TSA has installed innovative generative soundscapes in Harrods' new Toy Kingdom (winning the Gold Audio Branding Award in 2012 for this work), made the front page of the Wall Street Journal with a crime-reducing urban soundscape in Lancaster, CA, and has proved that sound can increase retail sales, customer satisfaction and brand value. The agency is now the undisputed world leader in assessing and transforming sound in shopping malls.
Before The Sound Agency, Julian founded (in 1988), grew and sold (in 2003) leading UK customer magazine publisher TPD Group, during which time he was chairman of the UK's Association of Publishing Agencies, a director of the Periodical Publishers Association, chairman of PPAinteractive and chairman of the UK government's Digital Content Forum. In 2002 he received the PPA Chairman's Award for services to the UK magazine publishing industry.
Julian is a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Marketors and a member of the Marketing Society. He is a long-time musician, and remembers with affection his two BBC John Peel sessions (the bands were Transmitters and Missing Presumed Dead) - and playing live to 18 million people on the ?nal of the UK's X Factor precursor, New Faces.
Julian was educated at St Paul's School, London and at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge. His interests include music, sound, golf, technology, and Italy.
Client Comments for Julian Treasure
- I heard Julian's 'Sound affects!' at Domain pulse conference in Davos, where he started his talk with: 'This presentation has absolutely nothing to do with the theme of this event'. Well, that was an outright lie: What Julian had to tell us had to do with all our doings: it's about being attentive, about hearing a small sound amidst the daily roaring of impressions.
From Domain Pulse, Switzerland
- - Astonishing,what an awakening... why have we not thought about sound before in our company?
- Great event, and Julian was better than I ever imagined.
- Unbelievable guy that Julian. Very interesting presentation.
From RadioDays, Finland
- Your session was spot-on, presenting new insights in sound effects, and making us aware of the importance of sound in our daily lives and as producers of content. Feedback from our delegates was unanimously positive; here's a few responses:
- 'The best session and experience for me was 'The Power of Sound'.
- ''The Power of Sound' was simply great!'
- 'Julian Treasure was a brilliant speaker!'
- 'The keynote on sound was exceptional.'
From Nordic Media Festival, Norway
- Julian's talk was a standout for the distinguished audience at our 20th anniversary event. The subject matter was literally ear opening, and his demonstrations with sound were both enjoyable and enlightening, helping everybody to gain a whole new perspective on the sheer influence of sound.
From Radio Advertising Bureau, UK
- I just wanted to say a big 'thank you' for your workshop yesterday. It was fascinating, brilliant and so jam-packed with really useful information and references that made me much more aware and really made me think about the soundscapes in which we live and work. I've come away with plenty of ideas for changes I can make both big and small that I know will make a real difference.
From workshop attendee Clare Evans, author of 'Time Management For Dummies'
- Julian's keynote within our annual Panasonic Convention 2013, which we organise for more than 1,500 editors and dealers, was very well received by all guests who attended his presentation. For me, his presentation was not only an inspiration business-wise (because it was such a good fit for our consumer electronics products and Panasonic's name (meaning 'global sound'), but it was also good mixture of information - conveyed in a very lively way - and provided great learnings for everyday life. His subject of sound is universal and relevant for everyone, and I would recommend him as keynote speaker for other opportunities within Panasonic and externally.
"Caroline Martel-Hill has been wonderful in terms of helping me select the right people. Lauren Ellis has also been a great help in bringing this together - two very professional and easy to work with ladies. I appreciate their help very much. Service and quality was superb."
Subscribe to our newsletter