Lily Serna, born in Jerusalem in 1986, is a mathematician with an unrivalled passion for education. In 2009 she completed a Bachelor of Mathematics and Finance and a Bachelor of International Studies at the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS), and an Honours year with a thesis in mathematics with applications in biology. In August 2012 she was appointed Numeracy Ambassador for National Literacy and Numeracy Week, and in September to the Board of the Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute.
Lily is best known, however, for her media work; as resident numbers expert on SBS's Letters and Numbers with David Astle and Richard Morecroft, and as co-host of Destination Flavour with Adam Liaw, the winner of MasterChef in 2010, and TV presenter and medical doctor Renee Lim. Destination Flavour profiles Australia's top providores and food producers, cutting-edge city restaurants, much loved family-run suburban eateries, our rich culinary regions that provide the best 'paddock to plate' food, our unsung food heroes and the vast cultures and cuisines that continue to enrich our food scene.
In her professional life Lily is also a web analyst consultant where she analyses web data to gain insights into the changing trends of customer behaviour and in particular enabling clients to deliver what the customer wants . She is also creating a customer engagement model that involves developing an index to measure customer engagement. She is passionate about the changing needs of the customer now and in the future.
As part of her International Studies degree, Lily learnt French and spent a year studying at the University of Bordeaux, France. She also speaks some Arabic. She is passionate about mathematics and hopes to one day specialise in mathematical modelling in environmental applications. Lily loves the outdoors and enjoys surfing, swimming and travelling.
Client Comments for Lily Serna
- Lily spoke very naturally about her experiences and connected well with her audience. The students remained thoroughly engaged throughout her presentation. Thank you Lily.
University of New South Wales
- Lily was an engaging, funny and relaxed speaker. She came early and was well prepared. The speech content was perfect for the event and audience. Lily ran the game 'numbers' brilliantly and it was a really great addition to our event allowing people to see her in action in our very own ABS numbers game. She was also very generous with her time staying behind to sign autographs and for people to get their photo taken with her.
Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Lily was very engaging and the students immediately related to her. Her talk was interesting and relevant to our girls. When we played the Letters and Numbers game, she was encouraging when students were sharing their responses and helped us with her mental arithmetic techniques.
Santa Sabina College
- Absolutely fantastic. Lily was marvellous.
- Lily was really engaging, but more importantly, was so willing to mingle and speak with individuals. With the relaxed nature of this event, it was so appreciated!
The Association of Independent Schools of NSW Ltd
- Mathematics and Consumer Trends
- Mathematics at Work
- The Magic of Mathematics
"Kris is exceptional and so professional to deal with."
Subscribe to our newsletter