Matthew Michalewicz has 20 years of hands-on experience in entrepreneurship, innovation, and success psychology. He has established boards that include former heads of state, Nobel Peace Prize winners, and Fortune 500 CEOs, and has a track record of starting businesses from scratch and selling them for tens of millions of dollars. He is currently the CEO of Complexica, a provider of Artificial Intelligence software that helps large organisations increase revenue, margin, and customer engagement through automated analytics.
From 2005 to 2012, Matthew was the co-founder and CEO of SolveIT Software, growing the company from zero to almost 180 employees and $20 million in revenue before selling the business to Schneider Electric. Under his leadership, SolveIT Software became the third fasting-growing company in Australia in 2012, as ranked by Deloitte. The company won numerous awards, and counted among its customers some of the largest corporations in the world including Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton, and Xstrata.
From 1999 to 2003, Matthew was the co-founder and CEO of NuTech Solutions in the USA, where he raised more than US$15 million in venture capital and grew the business to almost 200 employees in six international offices. Matthew established an A-list board of directors including former President of Poland and Nobel Peace Prize winner Lech Walesa, former National Security Advisor to the President of the United States Zbigniew Brzezinski, former Bank of America Chairman and CEO Hugh McColl Jr., and world-renowned fraud expert and subject of Steven Spielberg's blockbuster Catch Me if You Can Frank Abagnale. NuTech Solutions was acquired by Netezza Corporation, which was subsequently acquired by IBM Global Services.
From 1994 to 1999, Matthew was the founder and operator of Fitness Forever, a personal training business, and later, the co-founder of CFG Investments, a money management and financial planning company with more than $150 million under management.
A frequent guest on numerous television programs, Matthew's business achievements have been recognised by countless publications including Time Magazine, New York Times, Newsweek and Forbes. He was named the Pearcey Foundation's Entrepreneur of the Year, among Business Journal's '40 under 40' list of accomplished business leaders, University of North Carolina Alumnus of the Year, and an Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year finalist.
Matthew is the author of several books, including Life in Half a Second, Winning Credibility, Puzzle-Based Learning, and Adaptive Business Intelligence. He is also a board director at Prophecy International (ASX: PRO) and ComOps (ASX: COM), and a Limited Partner in Blackbird Ventures, an Australian early-stage venture capital fund. From 2005 - 2016 he held the position of Visiting Fellow at the University of Adelaide where he lectured on the subject of technology commercialisation for graduate students.
Client Comments for Matthew Michalewicz
- I have now heard Matthew Michalewicz present several times. His presentations provide that rare mix of being both educational and entertaining. He makes the complex simple. With the use of plain language, examples and stories he is very easy to listen to and understand. Matthew leaves you with core messages and key take aways that can be used to value you add in your business or every day life. In summation clear, concise, fun, professional every step of the way. If you are looking to inspire creativity and entrepreneurship, or just a motivational boost, I would highly recommend Matthew as a speaker.
Macquarie Private Wealth
- At an event that drew over 300 people, Matthew spoke with great eloquence and conviction about the business and life journey that culminated in the writing of his first book. He is an accomplished speaker, but more than that, he presents with the utmost authority and credibility. He has an ability to gauge the mood and interest of the audience, and tailor his comments and presentation to suit. Matthew spoke from the heart, not from prescriptive notes, and had just the right blend of humour, hard fact and personal experience.
American Chamber of Commerce SA
- I have heard Matthew Michalewicz speak on a number of occasions. He is a persuasive and powerful speaker, who can connect to a range of audiences, using his American business successes.
- Matt is a highly engaging speaker with infectious enthusiasm on a broad range of business topics.
- Matthew has spoken at a number of events associated with the Secrets of Australian ICT Innovation competition. He engages with his audience and his enthusiasm for the ICT industry and his willingness to use his experiences to assist others leaves its mark on the audience. His presentation style is friendly, informative and honest.
Secrets of Australian ICT
- Matthew Michalewicz encapsulates the genre of the talented professional speaker who is able to engage and hold the attention of audiences at a level which could best be described as absolute; taking his guests on a journey of understanding and realisation through his unique ability to connect and deliver his message in a way that is both articulate and infused with passion. I highly commend Matthew to any organisation seeking to engage him in the capacity of speaker, confident with the knowledge that he will deliver each and every time to his audiences highest expectation!
- Matthew is an energetic, dynamic, knowledgeable and engaging speaker. Business is first nature to Matthew; he speaks with authority because he has achieved a great deal.
- Matthew is an outstanding public speaker. He draws upon his vast array of professional experiences and initiatives to excite and inspire his audiences.
Optimatics Pty Ltd
- I have worked closely with Matthew on various projects and heard Matthew speak on a number of occasions. His presentations are always engaging and demonstrate his enthusiasm for passing on the depth of experience he's gained as an entrepreneur, mentor and business coach. I'd happily recommend him as an informative, entertaining and insightful speaker.
Minter Ellison Lawyers
- Matthew is one of the most accomplished and sought after speakers on the business circuit in South Australia who inspires audiences through his confident delivery. His message content is drawn from his vast commercial experiences, providing his audience with a relevant, valuable message in an entertaining manner.
InVenture Partners Pty Ltd
- His experience in technology entrepreneurship, and business in general, allows Matthew to find a way to spark interest and make a connection with everybody in the audience.
Australian Institute for Commercialisation
- Matthew Michalewicz is an outstanding speaker with the ability to engage and inspire audiences from all walks of life. Matthew has an amazing ability that I do not see in many speakers - he speaks from the heart and connects with his audience in a way that very few professional speakers can.
Collective Learning Australia Pty Ltd
- Matthew is an excellent business presenter: he has an engaging style and visuals that hold your attention and deliver the message.
- Matthew is a fine, natural speaker and I have been delighted to engage his services for several important events. Drawing upon a variety of successful experiences, including leadership of several high-tech companies, Matthew is able to convey deep insights into issues such as the commercialisation process and work-life balance in a highly articulate and entertaining fashion.
University of Adelaide
- My first favourable impression of Matthew was at a Playford Capital breakfast meeting where he was presenting to a group of IT entrepreneurs. Matthew proved to be a very capable speaker, the presentation was polished containing lots of sound practical advice for entrepreneurs much of which was based on life's experiences. I was impressed enough with Matthew to attend the book launch of Matthew's book 'Winning Credibility' and purchasing a copy. I have since purchased extra copies for my business partners for the excellent practical advice therein for business.
Australian Computer Society
- After hearing Matthew speak, you gain an insight into what makes an entrepreneur tick, what drives him, and what motivates him as a Company Director to take an idea and turn it into a business. He speaks with passion and self belief, and above all, he is entertaining and very easy to listen to.
Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Clear and direct, Matthew Michalewicz is a great speaker who inspires audiences by sharing his experiences and providing good advice.
- Advisers were highly impressed with Matthew Michalewicz and his Five Steps to Personal and Business Success presentation. This session had the highest average of all sessions from the PD day series and was voted the most valuable plenary session overall and the most useful session overall.
- Matthew was an absolute hit at every event we had. It's nice to see someone who is extremely successful and intelligent want to help others achieve their goals. His friendly and easy going manner made him an absolute pleasure to work with! I would highly recommend Matthew to anyone wanting a keynote speaker.
Colonial First State
- Matthew is an absolute pleasure to work with. His presentation is always delivered with passion and humour. The feedback from our clients has been great!
Colonial First State
- We got numerous comments about how easy to relate to Matthew was and how inspired people were to take charge of their own goals.
- We were absolutely thrilled with Matthew. He was professional, on message, approachable, highly relevant, engaging, value-adding... our delegates were exceptionally positive, and they were hard to please. Well done.
Liquor Marketing Group
- The audience enjoyed Matthew's presentation. He was well presented and informative.
- Matthew's presentation was engaging and conveyed a few simple points in a very powerful manner. The feedback we have received from clients has been extremely positive.
City of Salisbury
- Winning Sales
- The Science of Success
- From Starvation to Success: How to improve small business performance
- From Cradle to Grave: How to foster innovation within any organisation
- Commercialising Tomorrow's Technology
- Big Data, Disruption, and Artificial Intelligence
Topic SynopsesMatthew tailors each of the following topics for specific corporate, small business, industry sector or public sector audiences.
It's not the company with the best product or service that wins the day, it's the company with the best sales and marketing. Calling on his 20+ years of experience in both business-to-consumer (B2C) and business-to-business (B2B) sales, Matthew Michalewicz will share the secrets that can transform an average sales organisation into best in class. Using case studies and research from the field of psychology and behavioural finance, he will present what the ideal sales process should look like and how to apply it. Participants will learn how to:
• Optimise their sales process for cost and conversion
• Sell the 'prize' versus the 'product'
• Apply 'emotional involvement'
• Become more customer-centric
• Increase their credibility to increase sales
Matthew has used these techniques to sell his way to success in a number of diverse settings, including:
• Winning the largest corporations in the world as customers – such as BHP Billiton, General Motors, and Bank of America – against competitors that were larger, more established, with better products
• Convincing internationally-renowned people to join his board of directors, such as the President of Poland and Nobel Peace Prize winner Lech Walesa; the Bank of America Chairman and CEO Hugh McColl Jr., and subject of Steven Spielberg's blockbuster 'Catch Me if You Can' Frank Abagnale
• Selling the businesses he built to multi-billion dollar corporations, such as IBM and Schneider Electric
Matthew Michalewicz can dramatically change the way your organisation sells its products and services.
The Science of Success
The problem with success is that everybody has an opinion on how to achieve it. These opinions are usually based on personal experiences within a specific industry, time period, and geography, and can often be contradictory or irrelevant. In the 'Science of Success', Matthew presents the five fundamental drivers of success that are evidence-based and proven through thousands of studies and decades of scientific research. Free from opinion and bias, he explains the mechanics of each driver, why it works, and how it can be applied for attaining business, career, and personal goals. Matthew's talk is often included as a keynote presentation in conferences, corporate events, and professional development programs, and is based on his groundbreaking book Life in Half a Second.
From Starvation to Success: How to improve small business performance
Most small businesses are stuck in a perpetual state of 'survival', never quite able to achieve the financial success their products and services deserve. Matthew's presentation pulls focus on the critical factors that make the difference between starvation and success in any small business. Based on real-life examples and case studies, participants are provides with knowledge, insights, and action items to improve their top and bottom line performance, along with insights into Matthew's approach to fast-tracking business growth. Matthew has started, grown, and sold four companies during a 20-year period, with his last venture being ranked by Deloitte as the third fastest growing company in Australia in 2012.
From Cradle to Grave: How to foster innovation within any organisation
Why innovate? To gain differentiation, competitive advantage, increased productivity - the list is endless. The problem large organisations face is how to approach innovation - which is typically an unstructured discipline - in a structured manner. Matthew presents different innovation models for, from cultural and KPI-driving innovation, through to think tanks, strategic alliances, spin-ins, and strategic investments, and how they have been applied in various industries.
Commercialising Tomorrow's Technology
Bringing new innovations to market is both exciting and potentially very rewarding. However, there is often a funding and knowledge gap that has to be overcome when bringing new technologies to market. Using case studies and real-world examples, Matthew explains what it takes to bridge these gaps. His presentation also provides practical guidance that all businesses can apply to maximise their chances of achieving successful commercialisation outcomes.
Big Data, Disruption, and Artificial Intelligence
Most people realise that the world is rapidly changing – with technology re-writing the face of countless industries across the globe – but few people realise that the speed of this change is accelerating. Rapid change is not just a “phase” – rapid change is the new “norm”. According to a new Innosight study, the average lifespan of an S&P 500 company has fallen from 61 years in 1958, to just 18 years today, and new business models may only have a lifespan of 5 years or less given the speed of change.
As an international expert in disruptive technologies – having started, grown, and sold Artificial Intelligence software companies in Europe, North America, and Australasia over the past 20 years – Matthew Michalewicz delivers an succinct keynote on big data, disruption, and Artificial intelligence. Topics covered include:
• Big data and the Internet of Things – what is it and why it’s important
• Major trends driving innovation and disruption, such as personalisation, on demand consumption, and virtualisation
• How new technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, 3-D printing, and quantum computing will re-shape and disrupt countless industries
• Implications for sales, marketing, and supply chain business functions
• What major companies are doing to accelerate innovation and protect themselves from disruption
Engaging and educational, Matthew’s keynote draws on facts and studies, as well as first-hand case studies on the topics covered