Mia is the co-founder and content director of the Mamamia Women’s Network (MWN), Australia’s largest media company for women. MWN publishes several popular websites including Mamamia.com.au, the site she founded in her loungeroom in 2007 after leaving traditional media. MWN also publishes health and beauty site The Glow, parenting site ivillage and Debrief Daily, a site for women 40+.
The network reaches four million women per month and is the leading independent digital publisher in Australia.
Freedman began her career at Cleodoing work experience at the age of 19. She stayed at Cleofor five years working her way up to the position of Features Editor before leaving Cleo to become Editor of Australian Cosmopolitan magazine. At age 24, she was the youngest editor of Cosmopolitan's 58 international editions. By 2004 Mia had become editor in chief of Cosmo, Cleo and Dolly and was well known for her body image advocacy.
She was the first and only magazine editor to include women of all shapes, sizes and nationalities in every issue and she continues to be outspoken in the need for a more diverse representation of women in the media.
In 2008 she was appointed chair of the National Body Image Advisory Group.
Having built her career around creating communities of women in magazines, Mia wanted to work in a medium that was faster, more dynamic and authentic. So after a brief, disastrous stint launching a women’s daytime panel show at Channel 9, Mia ejected herself from executive life in 2007 and launched a women’s website, Mamamia.com.au from her lounge room while wearing her pyjamas. From politics and feminism to pelvic floors and pop culture, Mamamia is ‘what everyone’s talking about today’.
Two years later, her husband came on board and together they grew her personal blog into a giant women’s network that generates 40 million page views per month and employs more than 80 people. He is now the CEO.
Mia appears on TV regularly as a panelist on The Project, hosts podcasts and video series for the Mamamia Women’s Network and has written three books.
Mia has three children aged 17, 8 and 6. Her wheels fall off regularly.
Client Comments for Mia Freedman
- We just wanted to tell you how very happy we were to have Mia Freedman as MC for our Lindt Christmas media launch, which consisted of a Christmas lunch for approximately 70 lifestyle and food media.
Mia fitted in immediately as if she was part of the Lindt team. She made a great effort to understand exactly what we were expecting from her and ensured that she would convey the key marketing messages in a fun and entertaining way. Her media background meant she also had a good understanding of what the media would relate too. The Lindt management were also delighted with Mia and thought she was the perfect choice.
We wanted our Lindt Christmas Lunch to be relaxed and fun, as a Christmas lunch should be, and Mia certainly helped us to achieve this. We can thoroughly recommend Mia as a consummate professional who is also very entertaining and a joy to work with.
Entwistle Public Relations
- Mia was very entertaining with a great message to all especially women
CIBA Vision Australia
- You have left an indelible imprint on the hearts and minds of our network. The feedback from our convention delegates has been overwhelmingly positive. Thank you once again for your keynote presentation and teaching us how to keep it real, people are still quoting you and having outbursts of laughter from the presentation.
- Mia went down a treat with our PAs. Many are fans of hers and appreciated the opportunity to hear from a 'celebrity'. Despite her 'celebrity' status, Mia is very down to earth and friendly. Thanks Mia!
- Thank you for being such a valuable part of our panel discussion and for your honest, very real answers.
Women in Banking and Finance Conference
- Thank you for your wonderful contribution to the Women, Management and Work Conference. This year the conference had a high energy buzz, the feedback was particularly glowing with many participants saying they were going back to work inspired and energised.
Women, Management and Work Conference
- Mia Freedman spoke at our Annual Property Management Conference and was a huge success to the female dominated audience who left the day feeling very inspired after her talk. The 130 attendees rated her presentation 9.2 out of 10.
Hocking Stuart Corporate
- You're a rare gem, Mia Freedman. You're not scared to share the bad with the good and you do so in such a way that compels others to want to be better, and not be so tough on themselves. Thanks for sharing your story and your experiences with the Business Chicks community last week - the feedback's still coming in thick and fast and we'd have you back in a flash. Thanks again.
- I just wanted to say a huge thank you for such a wonderful and engaging presentation for our i connect conference. Your keynote address hit the mark perfectly. Your information was topical, your examples were amusing and relevant to our families and the strategies you wove through the presentation were practical and manageable. Just perfect! All our parents were delighted and engaged and I think you set the tone for the whole day. We've had fantastic feedback from our participants and the rest of the conference including the 24 workshops, dinner event and Sunday activities were all fantastic. It was a truly happy, relaxed and wonderful event.Thank you for starting us off so well!
Pop Culture, Technology and Your Kids i connect conference
- Mia was an engaging, thought provoking and entertaining speaker, and shared insights on a range of issues relevant to gender equality. Mia tailored her speech particularly well for the audience, which consisted of guests from a diverse range of sectors and age groups. Her address generated very positive feedback from the audience, particularly among younger women. Mia was also a pleasure to work with, and I would have no hesitation in recommending her for future speaking engagements.
Office for Women's Policy, NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet
- A very engaging speaker, Mia tailored her presentation to our key audience and was very well received.
Business Events Sydney
Topic SynopsesReal is the New Perfect
The story of Mia's personal journey from work experience to website publisher with behind-the-scenes anecdotes about the worlds of media. Funny, moving, revealing and inspiring.
10 Fails When Talking To Women
With 20 years spent working in all forms of media, Mia shares the lessons she's learned about where marketers and media are going wrong when they're trying to appeal to women. This keynote has broad appeal and includes many examples and anecdotes applicable to all industries. Hugely popular with both women and men.
How to Create Online Communities That Click
Mamamia boasts an online army of 1.3 million women and is considered Australia's leading independent online publisher. So how did it morph from personal blog to mutli-media juggernaut? Mia reveals tips, tricks and anecdotes that will help anyone build an online audience and explain in simple terms how social media is an absolute must.
"Both Trish and Tamie are true professionals and always there to assist with my requirements no matter how urgent or how odd they may be! They know what great customer service is all about."
Event Production Management
Subscribe to our newsletter