Nigel created his first business at the age of 20 and sold it at 21. He then went on to build Absurd Entertainment, one of Australia first and largest entertainment design companies. He worked extensively on the 2000 Olympics, was entertainment advisor at the Paralympics, grounds entertainment producer of the Sydney Royal Easter Show for six years and still holds the accolade of being show director for Australia's largest ever corporate event. He is now Founder of Thinkativity and Director of North Ryde Riding School.
In 2013, armed with a video camera, Nigel set out on an initiative to travel throughout Australia, solo on his motorbike, to discover ingenious Australians and share their stories. His quest was to inspire the ideas of a nation. In 2014, as an ambassador of Start-up Australia, he interviewed over fifty of Australia's top entrepreneurs and business leaders.
This unique research, along with his business experience, has given Nigel unique insights into profitable growth and offers an achievable process for everyday innovation and improvement.
Nigel's message is that business is a 'Game of Inches' and not a one-off event. He believes that 99% of successes come from many small, practical steps rather than a single 'Eureka' idea. The big idea makes a good story in a speech, but it's hard for delegates to incorporate into their everyday working lives.
Having now spent over twenty years in business events (both on and off the stage) he understands the importance of not just being engaging, but delivering practical and lasting business benefits.
He has advised Ministers of Parliament, C-Suite executives and entrepreneurs. Organisations in a myriad of industries including IT, Franchise, Events, Marketing, Finance, Pharmaceuticals, Government and Telecommunications have benefited from his experience and expertise.
He is an alumni of the Disney Institute, a Ted-Xer and author of two books with a third in production titled Game of Inches.
Client Comments for Nigel Collin
- Nigel was excellent and we received very positive feedback on him from participants.
- I could spend hours with this man, ideas just spout from him. A lovely communicator, funny and oh so smart. Meet him and learn.
Richard Foulkes, The Paradise Experiment
- The opening session couldn't have been better.
Bryan Holiday MD, ICMS
- What can I say? Both of your sessions were absolute hits! In fact, in the five years that I've been running our sales conference, your feedback and scores have been the highest we have ever seen!
- Nigel's experiences combined with his knowledge were an absolute hit with our attendees, with each and every attendee walking away with a fresh approach to idea generation. I would highly recommend Nigel to anyone looking to expand their creativity and capacity to generate original and practical ideas.
IMB Building Society
- Not just entertaining but useful - great ideas you can use immediately.
Kevin White, CSEP, Empire Force Events Inc., NY
- I was invigorated and energised by our discussion and it reaffirmed for me my personal view on the important of developing creativity in our young people.
Rod Welford MP, Minister for Education and Training, Minister of Arts, Queensland Government
- Nigel Collin's keynote address was excellent and showed a good depth of knowledge of the topic. It was clear that it was well researched and professionally presented compared to other speakers.
Risk Management Institution of Australia
- Watching Nigel Collin work is inspirational in itself. He can certainly make a difference to one's business and certainly to the people attending any session that he is involved in.
L&R Contract Business Services
- I imagine you're quite accustomed to your session being a popular favourite amongst conference or workshop participants, but in addition to it being popular it was also extremely valuable for our daily leadership work.
Mater Health Service
- Never has the need to differentiate been more important in this competitive marketplace. We received great feedback from the participants who found the course gave them a range of great ideas that they can apply to their own organisation.
Public Relations Institute of Australia
- Thank you so much for the session you conducted for the RTA Human Resource Strategy Kick-Off. It was a great success and the feedback since that day has been very positive.
- The feedback from the team was very positive both for the plenary and the workshop. Thanks so much for all your help at the meeting. It was great fun working with you again.
- I've being in this industry long enough to know that professionals of your calibre are hard to come by.
- Nigel always adds value. He is brilliant at taking people out of their comfort zones in a way that leaves them incredibly comfortable.
- Nigel was absolutely outstanding on all levels and for all of the reasons we needed him for. In many ways, he went over and above but I think that this came down a lot to just the person he is - a fantastic MC, we loved him.
- Aside from being a fluid presenter who knows how to work the crowd according to the theme and format of our various conferences, Nigel facilitates as though he is an extension and member of our team.
- He was terrific and we couldn't fault him at all. He did everything right; he was interested in staff and how we operate and he intuitively knew how to manage the party.
- I'd just like to say thanks once again to you all for your hard work during the show, it has been a great success!
IBM Software Group
- Your friendly approach set the scene and made everyone feel at ease to contribute freely. The fantastic content shared by everyone on the day has been so helpful and will assist me to prepare an insightful and useful strategy for the client.
- Nigel was fantastic; he interacted with the crowd extremely well. I would definitely recommend him and will certainly be considering him for future events.
- Nigel understood the business within a short period of time. Nigel was professional yet humorous and made sure that our conference was lively and not monotonous.
Enterprise Finance Solution
- This is the fourth time we have engaged Nigel and he is fantastic. He ensures we run to time deals well with all speakers and provides a great deal of comfort to the Committee as well as offering a high degree of professionalism to our Conference program.
Bursars Association of New South Wales
Topic SynopsesGame of Inches
This keynote is about giving participants an achievable process for small scale everyday innovation, based on research from interviewing over 100 of Australia's top entrepreneurs and business leaders and owners. It focuses on their actions and behaviours, not personality or character traits.
Business is a Game of Inches and not a one-off event. 99% of successes come from many small, practical steps rather than the single ‘Eureka’ idea. The big idea makes a good story in a speech, but it’s hard for delegates to incorporate into their everyday working lives. The truth is, the game of inches is what makes ‘big’ happen.
Nigel has drawn on interviews with a range of successful business leaders, owner and entrepreneurs, assessing their standout behaviours and actions they take. It is not who they are or what background they come from that counts, but rather what they do.
This session addresses at the four key actions of successful business leaders, which are conveyed as an accessible process so that they can be applied to any work environment.
Audiences of this session will:
1. Understand the value of the game of inches in business growth and success.
2. Work through four key actions successful organisations take:
- Find a gap
- Take action
- Test and Measure everything
- Delete or Improve
3. Give participants an achievable process for everyday small-scale innovation.
Igniting Viable Ideas
This session will give you and your people the process, skills and confidence needed to consistently generate viable ideas that will make a difference to your customers and your business.
Not all ideas are created equal. In fact, the world is full of ideas looking for a home. So how do you consistently find ideas that are viable and make a difference to your bottom line? This session will help audiences:
• Understand the value of everyday innovation
• Discover the blocks to innovative ideas and what to do about them
• Discover what it takes to bring viable ideas to life in your organisation.
Better Business Conversations
One conversation can spark an ingenious idea, improve sales and lead to new business opportunities. When we drop our agendas, let go of the sales pitch and are open to genuine conversations, we discover opportunities we never thought possible.
Drawing on conversations and stories from the Ingenious Oz Project, this session will challenge audiences to have real conversations that cut through the surface clutter.? It will help attendees to:
• Understand the importance of having real conversations
• Discover how to ignite real conversations within their teams.
"Saxton is an excellent firm to deal with. Everything is taken care of in a professional manner. It is a delight to work with you it makes the whole process so much easier."
Eastern Regional Libraries
Subscribe to our newsletter