On June the 5th 2005 Paul Hockey made history by being the first disabled person to stand on the summit of Mount Everest climbing from the North side. Paul speaks sincerely, passionately and from the heart in spreading his core message which is seven simple words: 'Never give up. Never ever give up!'
A cancer survivor who overcame incredible odds, Paul Hockey's self belief and persistence has had him labelled as Australia's answer to Lance Armstrong.
Having lost his right arm to cancer when he was just three weeks old and also his mother, father, stepfather and an Aunty to this insidious disease, Paul Hockey was motivated to raise money for cancer research.
Paul Hockey's determination was obvious early on, when he studied various Martial Arts aged just eight. He now has three black belts in two different styles of Martial Art.
He spent three years teaching English in Japan and 12 years as a Japanese speaking tour guide.
Paul Hockey's first attempt at climbing Everest was dramatically cut short 200 metres from the summit when he ran out of time and oxygen.
Returning a year later, Paul Hockey realised his dream and reached the summit of Everest. Paul Hockey has also climbed in New Zealand and South America. He's climbed Mt Aconcagua, the highest mountain in the Southern Hemisphere.
As a corporate conference and after dinner speaker, Paul's inspiring, passionate and entertaining story of self belief and persistence against the odds resonates with his audience desire to achieve their best.
It is Paul Hockey's belief that not only can people with disabilities rise to the greatest heights and realise their dreams, they can also help their peers discover the power and freedom of participation in sport and recreational activities.
'I want to set an example that anyone can do anything if they have a good attitude,' says Paul. 'It does not matter if they have a disability.'
Paul Hockey's talks are always very well received and have become very popular with schools, sporting groups and large corporations.
Client Comments for Paul Hockey
Paul Hockey travels from AustraliaAustralia
- As we were a small group of only eight people, Paul's presentation was incredibly inspiring as it felt so heartfelt by all present as he is so personable, and the small group ensured we were an incredibly captive audience.
- Paul was a sensation. He interpreted the brief with no additional guidance and delivered a presentation in each instance that was well above our expectations. The reaction from our audience was overwhelming and Paul's presentation has enhanced the relationship Tower now has with each of the attendees at this session
Tower Australia Limited
- Paul's story is inspirational and should be heard by as many Australians as possible. His inborn attributes of courage, vision, enthusiasm and endurance can be of immense benefit to us all
- The most inspiring person I have ever met. A man who has achieved the ultimate goal, the persistence, the courage just had me in awe of the mental strength that was required. Tells his story in a way that has you smiling or shaking your head in amazement. A great Australian
The Commonwealth Bank
- Very well received. Interesting topic and had loads of questions. Paul is a great story teller.
- Paul was a sensation. He interpreted the brief with no additional guidance and delivered a presentation in each instance that was well above our expectations. The reaction from our audience was overwhelming.
Tower Australia Limited
- Paul's story is inspirational and should be heard by as many Australians as possible.
- The most inspiring person I have ever met. Tells his story in a way that has you smiling or shaking your head in amazement. A great Australian.
- Never Give Up... Never Ever Give Up
"Both Carol and Lauren were excellent to work with and always available if I had any questions or issues."
Schroder Investment Management Australia Limited
Subscribe to our newsletter