Paula Constant walked over 12000 km through eight countries between 2004 and 2007, including two years walking through the Sahara with her own camel train. She walked without vehicular support and used only local nomadic guides, planning, conceiving and executing the expedition solo apart from local assistance. Her expedition remains the longest of its kind solely on foot through the Sahara by a woman alone. The two books she wrote about her journey, Slow Journey South and Sahara, are published by Random House in Australia and have recently been released in India.
Paula is the owner and operator of Sowilo Soul Centre in Fremantle, Perth, which is dedicated to combining mainstream professionalism with mindful wellbeing to empower women to become the best they can be.
In 2014, after living in Spain for three years where she trained in Kundalini yoga, flamenco, and classical astrology, Paula returned to Australia to open a centre dedicated to helping women unlock their own potential and manifest it to become personally and professionally successful. Combining her background in school teaching with mindful practices, she has since developed a variety of programs to empower women financially, physically, and emotionally. She teaches in her centre daily, creates bespoke product lines and coaches personal clients for self-development. She also speaks to corporate, school, and private audiences on consciously creating success, and mindful living.
During her years walking Paula learned a lot about staying true to her dreams, and setting realistic goals to make them come true. She has continued to follow her own pathway to becoming a writer across genres.
Paula consistently rates highly with audiences both in Australia and internationally. She has addressed corporations in London, Edinburgh, Madrid and Granada, speaking in French, Spanish and English, and brings humour, warmth and strength to any event. With a background in primary teaching, she relates as easily to children as she does to a corporate audience. Her message is one of mental focus and determination that both inspires and gives practical application for achievement, and Paula will happily work with you to tailor her presentation to your objectives.
Using the dramatic journey through the Sahara as a backdrop, her talks are dynamic and engaging. Stepping out of the customary 'adventurer' tag, Paula looks deeper into what truly constitutes success, and how to live it internally in order to create it externally.
Client Comments for Paula Constant
- The beauty of Paula's talk lay not only in the extraordinary Saharan journey, but rather in the highly perceptive observations about society, human nature, and the wider journey we all take. It was a thought provoking and moving talk with real benefit to all who attended. Utterly inspiring.
MLC Women of Power luncheon
- Paula took our team through an incredibly perceptive journey that completely turned around the way we interact with each other, and how we see our joint goals. It was by far the most valuable external training we have invested in to date, and we will have her back on a regular basis to check in.
Managing Director TMF cosmetics
- Paula Constant was the perfect guest speaker for GOTAFE's four 2011 Graduation events. She totally engaged our audiences of up to 800 people from a variety of ages, professions and cultures with her entertaining presentation describing her trek across the Sahara, the challenges she encountered and the hurdles she overcame. Paula told her story with passion, honesty, enthusiasm and, where appropriate, a sense of humour. She emphasised the importance of setting goals and following dreams despite the challenges, and was truly inspirational.
- Paula presented to the entire 220 students at Timbertop and provided an inspiring story which was perfect for our context. As well as sharing a truly fascinating story, Paula has an innate ability to condense her amazing journey into key messages that struck at the heart of many similar concepts and challenges our students will face throughout their Timbertop year. The humble air in which Paula presented was refreshing considering her astonishing accomplishments and her down to earth nature made it easy for the students to relate to her. There is no doubt Paula's story had a significant impact on the student body and her presentation provided a highly meaningful and valuable addition to our program.
Timbertop Outdoor Education Department
- Graeme Joy and Paula Constant held us captive with their riveting stories and they both received brilliant accolades from all who attended the event.
Mirboo North Primary School
- Paula is an engaging speaker who captivated the audience with her amazing story.
Kwong Lee Dow First Year Program
- Very positive feedback - very professional, value for money, best speaker. I would have no hesitation in recommending Paula as a speaker at any event.
Zonta Club of Melton
- Our seminar tonight was amazing! Paula's presentation was not only entertaining, but it was so in line with what we stand for as a company. It couldn't have been more fitting for us. She sold her book after the presentation and we had students rushing out to ATMs to get cash to purchase the copies. It was awesome.
University of Dreams
- Paula's presentation at our NBCF Pink Ribbon Breakfast was incredibly inspiring and moving - not to mention at times humorous! Her passion and motivation to complete her walk despite the hurdles she has encountered reminded us all of the importance of believing in ourselves and not giving up on our dreams - even when life knocks us around a bit.
- Paula's talk was absolutely spot-on for the occasion. The entire audience was hanging on every word of her amazing story. Paula not only delivered a talk that was both inspirational and enthralling but did so in an extremely clear and well spoken voice. Her selection of power-point slides complimented her talk perfectly. Paula was also extremely friendly and accommodating to the audience after her talk, as many people were keen to meet her and have a conversation. As the organiser of the event I found it extremely easy to work with Paula in the lead-up preparation. The fact that she always answered her mobile was a real bonus in the days before the event. Congratulations to Paula on helping to make the whole event such a success.
- We engaged Paula to speak to a cross functional team of our employees on the final day of a three-day team building event. Her brief was to draw parallels between her learnings from her various experiences in the desert and the challenges faced in our everyday business and personal lives.
Paula's story is very compelling coupled with her very natural stage presence, stunning visuals from the desert and a warm sense of humour she very cleverly takes the audience on a journey of discovery. She is an amazing lady to do what she does...
- Paula's incredible story drew direct parallels between the challenges facing young people as they move into the world of university and employment, and her own amazing journey. She gave our students practical and effective tools to manage the issues they face, and her direct and entertaining style kept her audience spellbound for the duration - and well into question and answer. Paula's story went beyond being a tale of adventure and instead directly benefited both students and teachers. We are planning to invite her back to address our staff on problem solving, effective management, and cross cultural teamwork.
Methodist Ladies' College
- Paula Constant was the keynote speaker at Methodist Ladies' College inaugural Well4twelve@mlc Conference Day held in February 2010. The group of 320 students plus staff members were totally enthralled by her extraordinary tale. She told her story with honesty, humour and great clarity.
Within her presentation, Paula wove messages of immediate relevance to the young women before her. Her message of understanding, planning, adaptability and determination is equally relevant whether one is embarking on a journey across the Sahara or a journey through exams and associated pressures and expectations.
In the post conference evaluations many, many students referred to Paula, or 'that camel lady' as the highlight of the day for them and used words such as 'inspiring', 'awesome' and 'amazing'.
I strongly recommend her to anyone looking for a unique, engaging and inspiring speaker for young adults embarking on journeys of their own.
Methodist Ladies' College
- Students and parents alike were captivated by the incredible tale of adventure from Paula. Both boys and girls enjoyed listening to the story of crossing the Sahara and viewing the pictures of the landscape.
St Francis Xavier College
- The Power of Enough
- Half Day Workshop - The Pot of Gold
- Global Awareness – Leading a Cross Cultural Team
- Never Give Up – From Zero to Sahara Expedition
- Path to a Goal – Identifying and Crossing Your Own Desert
- Sustaining Great Performance – Both Individually and in Leadership
- The Inner Path – Self-motivation and Maintaining Focus
Topic SynopsesThe Power of Enough
You are already enough: recognising the power of the moment and how to seize it
The Sahara is the backdrop to discovering how our own imperfections are our best guide to what will become our greatest achievements. Paula deconstructs success and distinguishes it from achievement, helping her audience to think through the way in which their own human needs are creating the future in every moment.
Half Day Workshop - The Pot of Gold
The gift of imperfection: Acknowledge what isn’t working and turn it into your greatest asset.
Understanding what makes us angry, fearful, and uncomfortable is the first step in creating our greatest success. Only in finding a way through that which we perceive as our own faults or shame can we begin to truly shine in our greatest capacity. Paula takes your brand, team, or individual circumstances through a carefully devised strategy that uncovers imperfection, identifies core needs, and reconstructs your picture of success from the ground up.
"Having worked with other agencies, you guys really do have the attention to detail that I've been searching for! Caroline always follows up to make sure that the briefing from me regarding the event is spot on so that she can give me accurate suggestions, making my life that much easier. She always listens and I always get a prompt response. You guys definitely have your client relationship management skills down pat. Congratulations."
Subscribe to our newsletter