Peter Baines is one of Australia's leadership experts having road tested leadership the hard way. Peter spent 22 years with the NSW Police leading teams in response to acts of terrorism and natural disasters on a scale not previously seen.
Peter was part of the leadership team that responded to Bali after the bombings in 2002 and was called upon in 2005 to lead national and international teams in response to the Boxing Day Tsunami. Peter headed up multiple rotations into Thailand leading international teams in the identification process of those who died. All the time his leadership theories were tested in this trying environment. Peter has recently been engaged to work in the Middle East, by the government of Saudi Arabia, to assist them in building their leadership and crisis management capacity.
Creating sustainable leadership became a passion of his after witnessing the devastating effects of the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami. He was deeply touched by the number of children left orphaned by the disaster and was inspired to set up an organisation that could make a significant difference in the lives of these children. In late 2005, Hands Across the Water was formed to raise funds for, and awareness of, the children of Thailand who were left orphaned. Today Hands is one of Australia's fastest growing boutique charities, having raised several million dollars without spending one cent of donors' money on administrative costs since its inception. With this they have built two orphanages, purchased a rubber plantation to ensure a sustainable and regular income and are currently constructing a medical and community centre in the KhaoLak region of Thailand. Hands also is in a joint venture with Victoria University which provides education to students and staff from the Tsunami affected area of KhaoLak.
His final years with the NSW Police were spent on secondment to the National Institute of Forensic Science where he worked on national and international capacity building projects around counter terrorism and leadership. He spent time advising Interpol in France and the United Nations Office of Drug and Crime in South East Asia.
Peter has received various awards including Australian of the Year NSW Finalist for 2010, Thought Leaders Socialpreneur of the year 2008 and being the first Australian to be awarded the international honour of a Rotary Professional Excellence Award in 2008. He has completed university studies in Law, Forensic Science and post graduate studies in Management.
Today Peter spends his time helping businesses build effective Sustainable Leadership programs through the unique mix of his leadership and corporate social responsibility initiatives. His Corporate Social Responsibility platforms create goodwill, staff engagement and sustainable change. He also continues to lead the Hands Across the Water team in supporting their orphanages and the beautiful children of Thailand.
Peter has a diverse client base across many sectors including the leading financial institutions of Australia such as Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, NAB, and St George Bank. He has worked with education providers across each of the Australian states, both government and private and has spent time advising many large corporate organisations both on a national and international level.
Client Comments for Peter Baines
Peter Baines travels from New South Wales Australia
- I recently attended the breakfast at the Hyatt in Adelaide. Peter spoke on the work that he has done in the disaster area that was Thailand after the Boxing Day Tsunami. Never in my life have I been so intrigued, so interested so absolutely blown away. But most importantly he spoke of his actions as part of a team and really outlined the importance of team work and leadership, not just in bad times, but in everyday life. Peter is an incredible speaker and has his audiences full attention the whole time he is speaking. I laughed and I cried during Peter's presentation and by the end I was totally overwhelmed.
- And so much of what you had to say has lessons that can be used in the leadership work I do with our senior executives here at the CBA. I would have liked to say something to you at the end of the session but couldn't really trust myself to speak.
Commonwealth Bank Talent & Development
- Peter Baines is an inspiration to us all. The experience, skills and knowledge that he has gained from managing high pressure situations in disaster zones allows us to put our own "stressful" lives in perspective. We can all benefit from his simple yet engaging message, and we can be inspired by his stories of human courage and bravery!
Think Global Consulting
- Peter was so engaging and delivered such a powerful message. Our audience were really moved to hear from such an admirable Australian.
Commonwealth Bank Group
- A memorable day where the important became real and where an ordinary man became extraordinary. Your presentation was without a doubt the most brilliant I have ever had the privilege to experience.
- Peter Baines was absolutely inspirational. What a wonderful storyteller. His views and ideas on leadership were so cleverly woven throughout his deeply moving and motivating presentation.
- A truly inspiring keynote address that made us laugh, cry but most of all it made us think. The message of life, leadership and what truly matters was inspirational. Before you die you must get to meet Peter Baines, life will change.
NZ School Trustees Association
- Peter was fantastic, delivering a touching keynote address that kept the audience engaged. Structuring it around the key leadership skills required meant delegates received immediate value and had tips to go back and test in their own workplaces.
National Safety Council of Australia
- I have seen Peter speak before but this presentation was a bit different and updated, and still as impressive and engaging as the first time I saw him. Amazing!
Construction and Property Services Industry Skills Council
- Peter was fantastic and his presentation was definitely talked about by Mercer both during the evening and the next day at our last day of our Conference.
We loved how he tied it all back to the benefits of building strong relationships both inside and outside of our immediate team/s, and how to make the tough decisions. Peter managed to help us think about approaching situations differently.
Mercer Australia Pty Ltd
- Building Powerful Teams
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Decision Making
- Leadership Matters
- Negotiation Under Pressure
- Project Management
- Sustainable Leadership
- The Crisis Clock - Hope This is Not a Plan
"Extremely professional. Nancy is great."
MiTek Australia Ltd
Subscribe to our newsletter