Peter Hillary is an articulate and inspirational speaker who specialises in motivational keynote and conference presentations on challenges, change, achievement and survival.
Peter Hillary's life is a testament to setting goals and achieving them. His skill, driving ambition, and good judgment have enabled him to summit mountains and survive ferocious storms and avalanches. He is a powerful communicator, a gifted storyteller and a skilled assessor of what works and what doesn't in critical situations.
With a history of world class achievements in climbing, he is an inspiring adventurer from one of the great families of mountaineering. Like his father, Sir Edmund Hillary, who made the first ascent of Mt Everest in 1953, Peter has summited Everest (making them the first two generations of one family to do so) and reached the South Pole on skis, forging a new route across Antarctica. The names Everest and Hillary are forever linked, and Peter continues to climb in the Himalayas and raise funds to support schools and hospitals for the people of the Everest region in Nepal.
In his enthralling presentations, Peter Hillary reveals what it takes to summit Mt Everest, the world's highest mountain, (twice!), to travel to the ends of the earth at the North and South Poles and to survive an horrific storm on 'the savage mountain': K2. All include dramatic video footage.
Peter is a dynamic and easy speaker, with a dry wit and a flair for storytelling; he has spoken to audiences ranging from 12 to 12,000. He captivates audiences with authentic, spine-tingling and at times hilarious stories about his adventures, who find themselves transported to a world far away. Peter's own challenges are a metaphor for the process of achievement of goals for any individual. His message focuses on the importance of preparation, perseverance, teamwork, caution and good judgment - as well as, importantly, enjoying the journey. He leaves people charged, motivated and raring to go.
Giving something back to the people who provided assistance to the Hillarys on their climbs, Sir Edmund and the Hillary family has built and run 42 schools, hospitals and medical clinics among the subsistence farming villages at the Khumbu Valley at the foot of Everest. Nepal, the country in which they are situated, is one of the poorest countries in the world. Peter, like his father before him, is motivated by the belief that 'to pursue your own goals is great, but it is even greater to help others reach theirs'.
Throughout each of Peter Hillary's speeches are the following powerful, recurrent themes...
- Nothing ventured, nothing gained: all achievement involves risk;
- Resisting the 'flock factor': teamwork is essential for success, but not at the cost of individual judgment;
- Self-reliance: trusting in your own intuition;
- Communication: critical for getting your message across; and
- Passion: teams thrive with people who are passionate, skilled and confident.
Client Comments for Peter Hillary
Peter Hillary travels from New Zealand
- Peter did an excellent job - his adventures and the obstacles he encountered were related perfectly to those of his audience.
- A special person. Down to earth, sensible, stimulating, humble, intelligent, honest, very presentable. Participated in the whole evening. A good dancer too!
Geelong Grammar - Timbertop
- Peter's talk was fascinating, covering adventures that are outside the wildest dreams of most of us. The slides were magnificent and the stories he told were really entertaining. A number of dealers I spoke to were totally enthralled by Peter and his achievements. Wives were relieved we hadn't got a footballer.
- Peter Hillary gave a thoroughly entertaining and inspirational talk about his achievements and plans for future expeditions. He spoke of the exhilaration that comes with accomplishing goals and the need to continue to set new goals. Peter is a polished presenter whose message is of interest to a wide variety of audiences and age groups.
- In my memory we have not had a response to a guest speaker of the magnitude that your presentation generated.
Victorian Council of YMCAs
- Peter's inspiring speech was extremely well received from all attendees. Nothing but rave reviews. His talk was very interesting, motivational and funny.
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
- I hope you realise the impact you made during the opening of our sales conference. I have had a number of employees approaching me to remark that you were the finest speaker they have heard - I agree. This is an impressive comment when you consider the great athletes and coaches that we have at our disposal. For me, your talk was the culmination of a vision for this sales conference that we created.
Nike Australia Pty Ltd
- I have received much positive feedback from both clients and Hyder personnel. The general gist was that Peter was an interesting, animated and amusing speaker and that he held the crowd's attention easily for the 50 minutes or so that he spoke. Many people said they felt inspired after listening to him, and there was a long line of people waiting to chat to him afterwards. First class.
- We have received a great deal of feedback regarding your representation and there is no doubt that your presence and the quality of your presentation added to the evening's profile and success.
Horwath & Horwath
- Our staff were thrilled to be engaged by such a talented speaker with wonderful stories, it was both inspiring and motivational. He was truly excellent.
Coles Myer Ltd
- Peter was a fantastic speaker and our guests enjoyed his presentations. After each event we ask our clients to fill in a feedback form and all forms that came back had very positive things to say about Peter. It was appreciated that he took the time to speak with our guest one on one after the presentations. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a high class of speaker.
Crosbie Warren Sinclair
- Peter was totally outstanding. After he had spoken the positive energy in the room was incredible and I cannot recommend him enough as a speaker. I hope we have the opportunity to work with him again in the future.
Jewish Community Appeal (JCA)
- Very inspiring and a great storyteller. You felt like you were there experiencing it with him - an amazing life and yet such humility. A great example in every way.
- Peter Hillary was an amazing speaker. His story captured and inspired everybody within the room and his presentation was followed by many photo requests.
- Attitude is the Key to Critical Problem-Solving
- Climbing Your Own Everest
- Inspired Leadership
- K2 Crisis: Survive and Thrive
- Overcoming Fear in Order to Achieve
- Planning for Success
- The Challenge of Change
- The Principles of Empowerment
- The Pursuit of What's Possible
- To the Ends of the Earth
Subscribe to our newsletter
"I dream of a company where people come to work every day in a rush to try something they woke up thinking about the night before. We want them to go home from work wanting to talk about what they did that day, rather than trying to forget it. We want factories where the whistle blows and everybody wonders where the time went, and then somebody suddenly wonders aloud why we need a whistle. We want a company where people find a better way, everyday, of doing things, and where by shaping their own work experience, they make their lives better and their company the best."
Jack Welch, CEO, General Electric.