Phil Ruthven is the founder and director of IBISWorld, an international corporation providing online business information, forecasting and strategic services. IBISWorld now operates in Australia, the United States (NY and LA), Canada, China, the United Kingdom and Indonesia. In 2014, Phil became a Member of the Order of Australia, in recognition of his significant service to business and commerce, and to the community.
Phil is a regular contributor to a variety of radio and television programs, newspapers, magazines and documentaries on business, economic and social issues. He continues to be one of Australia’s most in-demand commentators and is widely considered the nation’s most respected strategist and futurist on business, social and economic matters. Each year, he addresses approximately 70 congresses, seminars and conferences. His work as a communicator takes him around Australia and occasionally overseas.
Phil is a science graduate with further studies in management and economics at various universities and institutes. He was a Rotary awardee to the United States in the late 1960s. He spent over ten years working in the food industry, including holding executive positions in research, production and marketing, before establishing IBIS in 1971.
Currently, Phil is an Adjunct Professor at The University of Technology (Sydney) and a member of the ANU College of Business and Economics Advisory Board. He has been a board member of the Melbourne Institute, CEDA and Director of Open Family Australia (the charitable foundation aiding street children), where he continues to help as an Ambassador for Whitelion/Open Family.
IBISWorld has earned a reputation as an astute forecasting and advisory corporation, based on its unique and comprehensive databases. Its website is rated as one of the most sophisticated and powerful industry and marketing websites in the world today. Its insight into and foresight of business trends is outstanding, with the most envious record for accuracy among its peers. IBISWorld's clients include over 1600 of Australia’s largest corporations and government authorities, and over 2000 major US corporate and institutional clients. IBISWorld has become the premier provider of industry information in the United States, Canada, Australia, China, the United Kingdom, Indonesia and other nations. It also produces global industry reports on selected industries and markets. It is a privately owned company employing over 300 staff and growing at 15-20% per annum in revenue.
Client Comments for Phil Ruthven
Phil Ruthven travels from Victoria Australia
- Very positive feedback from guests & staff. Able to link his presentation very nicely to our product launch.
- Content was very relevant to the topic; delivery good and overall he fully met our objectives for
Tourism South Australia
- Congratulations on your outstanding presentation to the Schwarzkopf Convention in Fiji last week. The positive feedback to the conference from the delegates has been overwhelming, in particular, your 'The Economy and the Small Business' presentation, made a rewarding experience for all those who attended. It was indeed a valuable message, clearly delivered and greatly appreciated.
- Phil's presentation was first class. He made his story based on usually uninteresting statistics not only interesting, but entertaining.
- The event exceeded our expectations in every way and your contribution to this success is greatly appreciated.
Venue Management Association
- Would like to utilise Phil's expertise at other conferences during the year. Session was nothing else but EXCELLENT.
Digital Equipment Corporate
- Outstanding speaker who used humour to advantage. Related well to audience and showed that he had researched his topic well. Stayed to brief and kept to time constraint.
Westfield Shopping Centres
- A real hit with delegates - one of the highlights of the conference.
Housing Industry Association
- He was ‘accessible' to our audience making the appropriate industry connections at regular times. He was fun and highly topical.
BMW Australia Ltd
- 676 delegates took the time to complete a feedback form and 76% of respondents rated Phil as excellent. General comments - entertaining, informative, impressive, exciting mix of wit and information, great sense of humour, experienced and knowledgeable. From Bluestone's perspective Phil was terrific and we would like to pass on our thanks!
- Lovely man, loads of information and delivered it brilliantly
Mortgage Choice Conference
- Our delegates made special mention of Mr Ruthven and how much they enjoyed his presentation and how up to date it was.
Insolvency Practitioners Association
- Phil was an excellent presenter. Found him an entertaining and knowledgeable and learnt a considerable amount about the economy, trends, drivers and industries that will be successful in the future.
Moonee Valley City Council
- Phil was fantastic - he covered the brief perfectly and really knew his stuff. His sytle was easy to follow and kept the auidence captivated, and he was lovely to deal with too.
Property Council of New Zealand
"Professional and friendly service - I am very happy."
Women's Health Education & Research Society Inc.
Subscribe to our newsletter