Ric Charlesworth is a doctor of medicine with an honorary Science degree and an Arts degree majoring in philosophy and history. He is a former captain of the Australian Hockey Team and the Western Australian State Hockey Team and Cricket Team. He played hockey for Australia for a record 17 years and played first class cricket for nearly a decade.
He was elected a member of Federal parliament in 1983 and retired 10 years later. His plans to pursue medicine were diverted when he took on the position of National Coach of the Australian Women’s Hockey Team from 1993.
His coaching formula is part of the reason for the sustained success of the Hockeyroos at the Atlanta and Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. For 8 consecutive years the team was ranked number one in the world. Between 2009 and 2014 he also coached the men’s team (The Kookaburras) who in 6 years only failed to reach the top of the podium once.
The author of five books his latest “World’s Best” has recently been released His second book “The Coach” was a best seller and required reading for coaches from every sport. He has worked with the Australian Institute of Sport as a mentor coach to 5 national team coaches and was a high performance consultant to the Fremantle Football Club for two years in 2001 and 2002.
In four World Cups and three Olympic Games as coach of Australia Charlesworth’s teams won Gold on 6 occasions and once won bronze. They won 8 of 9 Champions Trophy tournaments and 2 Commonwealth Games Gold medals… this is a record never equalled in the sport. Between 1994 and 2014 Charlesworth was ‘Coach of the Year’ 8 times!
Client Comments for Ric Charlesworth
Ric Charlesworth travels from Western Australia Australia
- Ric Charlesworth spoke brilliantly on the topic, was concise, passionate and knew his material.
Bradnams Windows & Doors
- Ric engaged with the audience and kept an upbeat atmosphere within the room throughout his whole address. He interacted with our client and was well received by all.
- Ric was absolutely brilliant, he addressed the topic perfectly and gave a really good contrast from the other two speakers.
Chamber of Commerce & Industry of WA
- Your presentation on the work that needs to be done to develop supervisors into leaders was excellent. The "team" message was well made and all the more practical and realistic as a result of your ability to draw on your own experience in the sporting world.
Minerals Council of Australia
- There are few certainties in life and success in our chosen field is not one of them. Richard Charlesworth knows how to turn the 'art of the possible' into the 'art of the probable' and dramatically increase the chances of getting to the top.
- The day was definitely one of the most memorable launches that we have had and your part was certainly instrumental to the success of the event. The insight you provided into your playing and coaching career and the links that you made from these experiences to our competition were particularly valuable
Australian Cricket Board
- Your speech here a year ago offered us some insight into the dedication and discipline required to achieve goals. In Sydney, and in all that led up to it, that's a talk you well and truly walked
University of Melbourne
- I recall your words to Westpac's senior management team, and I quoted you often in impressing upon bank staff what was required in running a winning effort
Stanford Graduate School of Business
- You certainly are an inspiration. It was inspiring to have you with us and hear what you say. You could feel the difference the following week throughout the company – the move to greater unity and getting on with the job
- Such an interesting motivational speaker, those present appreciated your anecdotes and understood the comparisons you drew between the business and sporting worlds. I am sure that we can all learn from your meanings behind the "Tragedy" memonic
WA President BHP Iron Ore
- Thank you for an outstanding presentation. To address us for nearly 1 1/2 hours and to be able to hear a pin drop during the entire presentation, not only illustrates a remarkable presentation style but content of enormous interest which translates well to retail manager settings and achieving their business goals…. I appreciate the time and effort you put in to deliver another gold medal performance.
Australian Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Ric hit the mark perfectly for a senior executive group. His presentation which focused on high performance teams was informative and instructive with the right balance of humour. His approach to achieving high performance on the sporting field translates so well to team environments in the corporate world. He is one of relatively few in the sporting arena we believe effectively bridges this divide.
- Inside a Team - Working Together and Hold it together
- Staying on Top - Leadership is for everyone
- To be the Best - teamwork
"Caroline was always available to answer any queries we had, both efficiently and courteously. Excellent customer service. Keep up the good work!"
Subscribe to our newsletter