Richard Morecroft is seen each weeknight on national television as the host of SBS1's very popular quiz show Letters and Numbers. Richard is also well known for his 20 years as the face of ABC television's nightly news and the host of many other TV programmes, from current affairs to business and wildlife documentaries.
His broadcasting experience makes him an ideal industry panel and forum facilitator and brings a relaxed and good-humoured credibility to his frequent role as a conference or event MC.
His onstage interviews are entertaining and thought provoking, whether with a celebrity guest or an industry executive (John Cleese commented to the audience after being interviewed by Richard 'This man is world class!').
Richard's interview experience has also contributed to making him one of the country's most respected media skills trainers and communications coaches. His media and presentation training can be customised to suit all requirements, from personal executive coaching to large group interactive seminars. His Effective Professional Communication seminars are an ideal adjunct to major conferences.
Client Comments for Richard Morecroft
Media and Presentation Training
Media and Presentation Training
With over two decades of top level television news and current affairs experience behind him, Richard Morecroft has long been one of the country’s most trusted practitioners in communication and media skills training. As the consummate MC and Australia’s quintessential media personality, Richard specialises in strengthening the skills of senior executives for media performance and public speaking. From beginners establishing the basics, to experienced performers honing their skills, Richard’s practical and personal feedback builds confidence and produces results.
Richard’s training sessions offer a practical approach to the techniques of media presentation. The areas of focus include:
- Preparation for interview in the print and electronic media
- Clothing and body language for television
- The studio environment: radio and television
- Maintaining a clear agenda during the interview
- Handling aggressive interviewers
- Making maximum impact in the time available.
The emphasis during these sessions is on a balance between theory and practical application. Participants undergo realistic interviews that are replayed on video for immediate analysis. Many clients comment that working with a person they have seen regularly as a television news presenter contributes significantly to the effectiveness of the training.
In addition to media training with a focus on interview skills, Richard often works with individuals or groups to improve their broad presentation abilities, especially in public speaking. This presentation training focuses on:
- Stance and body language for confident communication.
- Voice projection and clarity - with or without microphone.
- Building of audience rapport.
- Preparation and practice techniques for speeches.
- Understanding presentation equipment technology.
- Appropriate presentation for different group sizes.
Whether your requirement is improved media performance, professional public speaking ability, or on-camera skills for website presentations, a training programme can be structured for your needs.
Skills for Effective Professional Communication
In this special seminar or workshop – ideal as a conference breakout activity – Richard Morecroft takes the principles of confident interview performance and applies them to everyday communication – in the workplace, with clients, with colleagues. What are the techniques for dealing with tough questions? How do you look and sound confident even if you're feeling under pressure? How do you structure the points you make to be persuasive and credible? These are vital skills, not only when being interviewed in a media context, but for everyone aiming at top performance in a challenging professional environment.
Covering territory from anticipating situations to using persuasive language, dealing with aggressive questions to improving voice quality and physical communication, this practical session gives strong foundations for better performance – in the media or business life in general.
The presentation provides techniques that will be useful throughout the professional lives of all participants. It can be delivered as either a one hour or half day seminar, or a full day practical workshop.
Here’s what clients have been saying about Richard’s training sessions:
‘Richard Morecroft’s service in executive level media understanding and management skills is market leading.’
Management Consulting - Australasia, PricewaterhouseCoopers.
‘In over 20 years of undertaking various presentation and media relations training, I have never been able to get the insight that Richard was able to bring to bear in educating me.’
MapInfo Asia Pacific.
‘Richard Morecroft’s communications workshop received tremendous feedback.’
Fujitsu Australia Limited
‘From one-on-one executive issues management and public speaking training, through to large group media skills workshops and public event hosting, Richard's professionalism makes it a pleasure to partner with him.’
‘Richard Morecroft’s training was the best professional development experience I have had in too many years to remember.’
Australia Council for the Arts
- Richard did a great job on Friday. He was professional, organised, well prepared and so easy to work with. He made my job easy as I knew he had the MC role under control and checked in with me throughout the day. He was also perfect for the financial topic which ran through the day. Your recommendation has once again been perfect.
- Richard's professionalism, care and understanding of our brief and requirements went above and beyond any expectation. Richard's voice of velvet, charisma and charm brought a level of professionalism and showcraft to our event. I simply cannot recommend Richard highly enough and look forward to working with him for many years to come.
Hewlett Packard Australia Pty Ltd
- Thanks for your facilitation of our Forum last week. It was excellent. There has been very positive feedback from staff and from a number of the external participants, and one has started a blog! Your thoughtful preparation and sensitive chairing made a huge difference.
- Richard is just so, so, so professional and so prepared.
- This the fourth year in a row that Richard has acted as MC for our Convention, and delegates continue to praise his contribution to our program. The value that Richard brings to our Convention is immeasurable! Everyone loves Richard!
Abacus - Australian Mutuals
- Richard provided two presentations on the same subject and was thoroughly prepared. He presented exactly the right material at the right level. He had an excellent relaxed style which suited his subject material perfectly.
High as a Keyte Pty Ltd
- Richard is as always the easiest person I have every had the privilege of working with. He is always punctual, does his 'homework', reads briefing notes, asks questions if needed, is courteous, well liked and is like a member of the family - which is why we have used him for years now! This year he was able to correct a script malfunction made by another presenter and the manner he did this in made the major sponsor ask for his business card for future events!
Institute of Public Works Engineering Australia
- Richard was wonderful! Thank you very much.
Foundation for National Parks & Wildlife
- Richard was an entertaining and interesting speaker, and an absolute delight to work with. Very cooperative indeed! We would love to have him back again some time.
National Archives of Australia
- A true professional who made life so much easier for us. I've been waxing lyrical about him to anyone who will listen. The client also thought he was a delight. Warm, approachable, charming, professional and a very proactive MC.
- Richard was the perfect choice for hosting the Design Excellence Awards. His performance was warm, inclusive, authoritative and pretty well flawless.
- Excellent. Richard was well prepared, extremely professional and a pleasure to work with.
Connections Event Management Pty Ltd
- Richard is the consummate presenter. He is meticulous in his preparation; a polished professional, who seems to speak directly to you, with warmth and sincerity, no matter how many others there are in the audience.
Facet Management Pty Ltd
- Richard's tone, speech content and delivery style were very appropriate for the evening. He had obviously researched the topic and his comments were empathetic to the purpose of the evening, the presentation of the awards. The audience reaction was extremely positive and his input certainly added to the event, as did his gracious and willing participation in assisting the Minister in handing out the media awards.
NSW Department of Fair Trading
- 10/10... we have booked Richard twice now and both times he was fantastic.
Janice Parker, Events Management
- Thank you so much for moderating our recent History Workshop. Your contribution to the day was significant, and we appreciated your thoroughness in preparing for the role, as well as your professionalism on the day. The feedback we received has been terrific, and many people have commented on how focused the day was and on the value of having you there as moderator. Thanks once more for your inspiring contribution.
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Richard was a fantastic MC. He researched the industry well. He was an excellent facilitator and kept all sessions moving and within the program schedule.
Kara Management, Mortgage Industry Association
- Our event was an amazing success and much can be attributed to Richard's contribution. He controlled the discussion extremely well and his relaxed approach meant our panel members were comfortable to convey key information. Thanks again for such a professional facilitation - 10/10!
Good Health Solutions
- 20 years from the Waist Up (Entertaining After Dinner Speech)
- Conversations with Morecroft
- Master of Ceremonies and Facilitator
- Media Lessons - How to Make a Successful Presentation
- The Power to Persuade - Getting Value from the Media.
"Yet again Sandra and Alice made the whole booking experience simple and easy. Their customer service is exceptional. They both responded to my queries quickly and kept me informed of what was happening with my bookings at all times. Sandra's ability to find the perfect speaker, usually with only a minimal brief and a limited budget, is outstanding. She manages to hit the mark every time."
Goulburn Ovens Institute of TAFE
Subscribe to our newsletter