One of Australia’s most outstanding actors, Rob Carlton has starred in a long list of Australian television series including Underbelly III - The Golden Mile, Chandon Pictures, The Hollowmen, All Saints, Blue Heelers, Water Rats, Roar, A Country Practice and E Street. His portrayal of Kerry Packer in Paper Giants: The Birth of Cleo was heralded by critics and audiences alike earning him the Most Outstanding Lead Actor award on top of winning the Silver Logie.
Rob continued his association with ABC TV across a number of dramas and entertainment programs as well as co-productions with Fremantle Media and WTFN productions.
His feature film credits include Any Questions For Ben?, Strange Bedfellows, You Can't Stop the Murders, Muggers and The Year My Voice Broke. He will be seen in the upcoming film Mental.
A graduate of Sydney University in English Literature, Rob is also a producer, director and writer. His production company Shadowfax TV produced two series of the award-winning comedy Chandon Pictures, seen on both Movie Extra and ABC TV. Rob co-directed as well as taking creator, writer and acting credits in the series. Chandon Pictures is now shown in over 15 territories around the world, including the USA and UK. Both Chandon Pictures and Rob Carlton have been nominated for numerous awards for the show, with Rob winning the Australian Writers Guild Award for Best Narrative Comedy in 2008. Rob's play A-Framed was first produced by his production company in 1998 to critical and box office success. A-Framed has since been produced in Sydney and Melbourne by various theatre companies.
As a keynote speaker, Rob's down-to-earth delivery, astute character observations and self deprecating humour are a world away from a corporate presentation... Perfect!
Client Comments for Rob Carlton
Rob Carlton travels from New South Wales Australia
- Since 2006, AFG has had the good fortune of engaging Rob Carlton as Master of Ceremonies for both our national client and internal events. Rob consistently impresses both us and our audiences with his no nonsense, polished and punchy delivery. He expertly handles the mechanics of a program to ensure it unfolds on time and has a carefully considered ability to link presentations to provide agenda cohesiveness. We highly recommend Rob to any organisation that is looking for a MC who is smart, informed, humorous and focused on keeping a program on track. His research of both the client and audience is impeccable, and his delivery throughout proceedings seamless.Engaging Rob to act as MC at our events has allowed us to maximise our event investment and I have no hesitation in recommending Rob to any organisation that is looking for the same outcome.
- Rob did an amazing job at hosting our 2012 Microsoft Partner Awards Ceremony. The afternoon flowed beautifully, his reserach prior to the event enabled him to combine wit and humour throughout the proceedings to make the afternoon thoroughly enjoyable. His professional attitude was an integral part of our event planning. He ensured I was happy with the structure and content every step of the way. I would not hesitate to recommend Rob as a Master of Ceremonies.
- Rob is an extremely talented and professional MC. His ability to grasp an organisation's business strategy and desired outcome for event, and then translate that into an entertaining, insightful and meaningful experience, is second to none. I highly recommend Rob for any conference or corporate event.
- Rob was engaged to host our Optus Small and Medium Business annual 'Kick Off' event across three states recently. These events provide the opportunity to celebrate our achievements and share our strategic direction for the year ahead with a diverse audience from across the team.
I was thoroughly impressed with Rob's natural ability to manage his audience with the utmost professionalism, while keeping the event real and interactive, continuously tailoring for each location. He is more than just a host; he added true value throughout the process, from the thorough preparation leading up to the event right through to the event itself. From the moment we met and briefed Rob to his delivery on the day, he was the consummate professional and completely committed to us as a customer. He was meticulously prepared, and had obviously gone to great lengths to be well informed, understand our business, organisation and target audiences.
During rehearsals, he provided valuable input that helped focus our messaging. During the event, he kept speakers on track and the audience engaged, while remaining on message and consistent with our script. He skillfully managed curve balls and impromptu changes with ease and dealt with business issues capably as they arose.
Throughout, he also displayed a great sense of humour. Rob truly deliver 'over and above the call of duty.' Feedback from our participants has been fantastic; in fact a campaign to bring back Rob next year is well underway!
- We have used Rob concurrently for three national conferences and each time he has added value and diversity. Rob puts a great deal of effort into understanding our business in the lead up to the events so that everything on stage is not only enjoyable but relevant to the business imperatives at play. Rob has a unique ability to take a brief and write a script that is humorous and engages the audience. Rob will add value to any conference and I highly recommend his services as MC.
- Rob, I would like to congratulate and thank you for undertaking the MC's role [at the launch of the National Scholarships Foundation]. You hit the perfect pitch with the audience and provided a great blend of insight and enjoyment, while keeping the whole program nicely on track. Thank you for your generosity in support of the scholarships.
TAFE Directors Australia
- Working closely with Rob has been a great experience, his level of passion and engagement is infectious and his presence leaves a lasting impression on all those he has addressed within our organisation. During my initial contact with Rob I was truly impressed by Rob's commitment to learn and study the subject matter that was quite unfamiliar and not within normal scope of expectations. Rob's dedication to understanding both subject and audience went beyond expectation adding tremendous value to the presentations he delivered. The collaborative approach Rob took to building his presentation ensured an authentic delivery balanced with fact and humour maintaining the utmost integrity of the content. Having Rob involved in our National Conference created an innovative dimension to the dialogue we have with our colleagues.
- It is with great enthusiasm that I recommend Rob Carlton to you as one of the most engaging and inspiring speakers it has been our pleasure to work with. We have had nothing but praise from all attendees, and he was voted the most compelling speaker we have had to date ... Give him a go, you won't be disappointed.
Starcom MediaVest Group Australia
- Rob Carlton's key note address is a real gem. The lessons from Rob's career are relevant to anyone in business, especially his message of 'what to do when the phone doesn't ring'. On top of all this, Rob Carlton is genuinely funny. His sharp wit is extraordinary and he will have fun with the audience, without going too far. I cannot recommend anyone more highly than Rob, and he will be a vital element of making your business event a success.
Business Channels Optus
- Comedy Keynote
- Not Business as Usual
Topic SynopsesComedy Keynote
Rob had to wait nearly 30 years, and for the ugliest man in Australian business history to be played, before he would land a lead role in a drama series. But when the chance to play Kerry Packer came, he was ready… but only just!
As a jobbing actor life was tough: in his first ever movie role he had his head flushed down a toilet in The Year My Voice Broke, he got called a “Flamin’ Mongrel” by Alf from Home and Away, was shot dead on Water Rats and blew himself up on Blue Heelers. Dying is fun for a while, but something had to change if he was going to make a living out of it.
Rob's story of stepping up from bit part actor to playing an Australian icon, while along the way producing his own shows that now sell all around the world, is a hilarious ride where a chance meeting with Tom Cruise, a romantic moment with Michael Buble and a primal fear of being discovered a fraud are all part of the overnight success that took 25 years to build.
Rob's down to earth delivery, astute character observations and self deprecating humour are a world away from a corporate presentation - Perfect!!
What will the audience get out of it?
• A big laugh for a start.
• Some insights into what made Kerry Packer the toughest deal maker in town.
Then, if they feel like joining the dots, they might find it easer to:
• Stay motivated when the phone isn’t ringing.
• Work better in teams.
• Handle curve balls with joy, not fear.
• Remain fearless in their pursuit of excellence.
• View everything that comes at them as an opportunity, not a block.
"Tamie and Trish were a pleasure to deal with throughout. The promptness of their responses to my emails or phone calls was first rate."
Genesys Wealth Advisers Ltd
Subscribe to our newsletter