From mathematics teacher to internationally acclaimed opera singer, managing director, Board member and community advocate, Stella Axarlis' career has been one of diversity, determination and inspiration.
She consults with organisations that are undertaking significant cultural change and presents nationally and internationally on issues of business excellence, change management, organisational culture and education and training.
Stella Axarlis holds a Bachelor of Arts degree (Melbourne University). She has been a member of the Prime Minister's Science, Engineering and Innovation Council for a maximum of three terms and a member of the Premier's Victorian Economic, Social and Environmental Policy Council.
In 1998 she became a Member of the Order of Australia in recognition of her contribution to training, business and children with disabilities, in 2002 recognised in Victoria's Awards for Excellence in Multicultural Affairs and in 2003 she received a Centenary Medal.
In November 2011 Stella was awarded the inaugural, preeminent Lifetime Achievement Award, Australia's most prestigious vocational education and training (VET) award, presented to an individual who has an established history of distinguished service and who has made a lasting contribution to VET practice.
Stella has been a Board Member at Phillip Island Nature Parks (PINP) since July 2003. She is President of the Friends of Churchill Island Society, Chair of the PINP Community Advisory and Education Advisory Committees, and Member of the PINP Audit Committee.
Stella is equally at home as an inspirational conference speaker or as the principal in a wonderful motivational story in her own right. She has been regularly voted in the top 10 business speakers in Australia.
Client Comments for Stella Axarlis
Stella Axarlis travels from Victoria Australia
- Stella was one of the most passionate, energetic and inspiring speakers that I have heard over the past twenty years! First, Stella had a great story to tell and told it with verve and passion. Second, Stella did her research on both AusIndustry and Cardinia Shire. So, throughout her presentation, Stella continually drew on her experiences and referenced them into the current challenges facing both our organisations. Let me tell you that a sponsor can't ask for any more than that! Third, Stella's story is very relevant to today's business leaders.
- Stella was extraordinary! She was funny, charming, provocative and all while right on message. We loved her and I recommend her unreservedly.
- Comments included:
An amazing lady.
Delivery was very good, clear and concise.
Very entertaining and interesting.
Fantastic lady - very interesting.
Stella spoke from experience which kept the audience captivated.
Good manager's perspective on financial information.
Good fast/opening speaker.
Very entertaining! Excellent.
- Dear Stella, I am just writing to thank you for your lunchtime address to our Council Planning Workshop on Saturday, 29 June. It proved to be difficult to find someone who would fulfil the Chancellor's specificiations, which were that we needed a stimulating and provocative address tha twent beyond the standard predictable positions.Your background with a perspective on both Higher Education and VET sectors, as well as an employer's perspective, was ideal, and you fulfilled Doug's specifications admirably. Thank you again.
- We found Stella to be energetic and inspiring. The feedback from those that attended was overwhelmingly positive. Some of the standout comments included:
-"Stella's presentation was inspiring. I have recently had a new staff member assigned to my guidance and care and I can't wait to get back to the office to share some of her messages."
-"Fantastic presentation by Stella!! Encore! More of the same please."
-"The presentation given by Stella Axarlis was excellent. In particular her ability to relate her own
personal experiences to [the] concepts, values and attributes of and within our organisation."
We were very impressed by her humour, energy, adaptability, passion for knowledge, and her unique take on the notion of customer service.
Major Banking Group
- Stella pinpointed and delivered exactly to her brief. Stella was a 'class act'!
Western Australian Local Government Assocation
- A fascinating, enjoyable speaker with an amazing background. Very thought-provoking.
Healthcare of Australia
- Stella had the capacity to tap into a difficult audience (in many cases resistant) and work effectively to lead them through the Quality issue.
Department of Human Services
- Your presentation…was outstanding. My vision was for all delegates to leave the Conference on a ‘high' and you certainly achieved that. The feedback from our more senior members through to the youngest delegates has been that ‘Stella Axarlis was inspirational'.
Local Government Associations of Tasmania
- You inspired the audience and challenged us all to reflect on many aspects of our careers. Your insightful presentation which covered so many facets of your life and targeted many areas central to our profession, was delivered in a manner which informed and entertained.
- The staff members to whom you spoke have nothing but praise for you and your approaches. Have you thought about writing your autobiography? It would be a best seller!
Canberra Institute of Technology
- Thank you for your positive and uplifting address. One of our strongest marketing tools was the fact you would be our Guest Speaker. You delivered a most inspirational message.
Wyndam City Council
- I don't think excellent is good enough to describe Stella. She is an inspirational and sensational speaker.
Hotel Grand Chancellor
- Stella was an excellent and riveting speaker….she held the audience in her hands throughout.
Australian Friendly Societies Association
- In a blaze of diva red, she enthralled the unsuspecting audience with her personal anecdotes and inimitable management philosophy, all the while skilfully weaving ANZ's values and aspirations into her delivery.
She read her audience beautifully, drawing them further into the performance until they were sitting perched on the very edge of their seats. One hardened critic later admitted ‘Stella made me laugh and cry…' At the conclusion there were cries of ‘encore!', ‘hire her!', ‘absolutely inspirational!', and ‘loved Aunty Stella!'.
- The staff enjoyed Stella's talk and felt that she touched on many relevant isssues for them
City of Stonnington
- Stella engaged the audience and tailored her presentation to align with the conference theme. Stella participated in the formal Conference dinner and even went to the trouble of dressing in the theme of the night.
Kununurra District High School
- Stella was warm, generous and very adaptable. She was inspiring and our Principals' loved her presentation.
Regional Principal's Conference Dep of Educ - NSW
- She was one of the best speakers we have had in years. Our reps and manager's loved her
Fairfax Community Newspapers
- "The guests commented that you obviously spoke from the heart and
challenged them with many ideas which are relevant to their own organisations."
Department of Infrastructure
- I wish to thank you sincerely for speaking so eloquently and passionately at our Leadership Conference in Auckland. Your career has certainly been a unique and fascinating one, full of exciting challenges and also one which reinforces my belief that if you put your mind to it, great things are possible in life. You had obviously done a good deal of research into Air New Zealand as many of your observations and insights were right on the mark and were much appreciated by our people.
Air New Zealand
- A Passionate Commitment to Quality and the Pursuit of Excellence.
- Agents of Change
- Breaking Down the Walls Between You and Your staff
- Constant Communication and Learning
- Emotional Intelligence: Its Competencies and Implications for Organisational Success.
- Managing Diversity
- Outsourcing - Quality, Management and Control
- The Essence of leadership:Key Strategies of Successful Leaders
- The Learning Organisation: Key Developmental Factors
"Tamie and Nina are both very lovely ladies to work with."
National Disability Services
Subscribe to our newsletter