After he assisted police in 68 homicide investigations and two serial killer cases, the media gave Steven Van Apersen the moniker 'The Human Lie Detector'. To help police read people, Steve developed his unique four-stage process and his hugely successful '60 Second Profiling Technique'. He has trained intelligence agencies, homicide detectives, the Defence Security Authority and Department of Defence personnel in how to read people and detect deception by analysing verbal, non-verbal and paralinguistic behaviours.
Steven now teaches that process throughout the world to CEOs, business executives, recruiters, portfolio managers, the banking and finance industry, customer service reps, investigators and sales professionals. Steve’s training helps you succeed at the negotiation table, read people like a book, cultivate deeper relationships and dramatically increase profits.
As an international speaker, author, behavioural analyst, hypnotist and media commentator, Steve consults his services to government and corporate organisations throughout the world, including BMW, Deloitte, Ernst and Young, Human Capital Institute, Financial Planners Association National Conferences, Goldman Sachs, Health Insurance Commission, PricewaterhouseCoopers and the Recruitment and Consulting Services Association. He is also the co-author of The Truth about Lies: Uncovering the Fact from Fiction, in which he explains how to effectively read others.
Steve has trained numerous corporations in how to read their customers and watch profits soar. He has spoken at hundreds of conferences and seminars around the world, attended by thousands of delegates. A person may be able to lie with words but their body language is much more overt. During interviews, negotiations and meetings, most people will often try to suppress what they may be feeling or thinking. Steve can show you what non-verbal cues to look out for when people may be saying one thing but thinking something else.
Steve's training and presentations also address how to read and interpret microexpressions, distress signals and facial expressions. Research has found that all humans exhibit the same facial expressions associated with fear, anger, joy, contempt, disgust, sadness and surprise. Even when we try to conceal these emotions, they will often express themselves within a 25th of a second. Steve's insights are extremely valuable during meetings, interviews and negotiations when looking for conflict and contradiction between what a person is saying and what their body language is stating. This training provides corporations with an 'edge' in making the right investment decisions during meetings and negotiations.
Other areas Steve covers include: identifying defensive barriers, concealment and masking gestures, preening and grooming behaviours, building rapport, analysing content and structure and how to detect deception. Due to Steve's consulting roles in various high-profile homicide and serial killer cases, a number of videos are also utilised to enforce learning outcomes and highlight non-verbal behaviours, including those of the participants attending! Steve's keynotes are interactive, fun and informative.
Client Comments for Steve Van Aperen
- By addressing such questions as 'How well can I read others?', 'How can I change my communication methods in order to inspire trust?', and 'How do I know if someone is hiding something?', Steve offers techniques specifically designed to improve your business and your company's bottom line immediately. A highly engaging speaker, he is charismatic and humorous, yet brutally honest.
American Program Bureau
- Steve is an extremely interesting individual... he is an expert in the non-verbal cues to look for when people may be saying one thing but thinking something else. He specialises in reading and analysing distress signals and facial expressions. I would certainly love to have him by my side in the business world, where his powers of observation would be a fantastic resource.
Steve Waugh AO, Former Australian Cricket Captain
- Steve van Aperen is a man who studies the way people answer questions and at the same time their body language. He makes his living out of sorting truth from deception.
Mike Munro, journalist and former '60 Minutes' reporter
- Steve Van Aperen is an extraordinary man who is an expert in detecting deception. He's a dead set legend.
Catriona Rowntree, presenter and journalist
- Steven Van Aperen is known as the Lie Guy and as I discovered, he's pretty good at it.
Tom Steinfort, 'A Current Affair'
- Steve van Aperen is an expert in reading people.
Ita Buttrose AO OBE, Australian of the Year 2013
- Your presentation to the CEO Clubs of New York City was amazingly informative and entertaining. It is not often that we have a speaker that can keep command of the room the way you did today at the Harvard Club. The buzz in the room was that you were one of the best speakers we have ever had. Please consider visiting with us again any time you are in the New York City area - I can't thank you and Renee enough for adding tremendous value to the club and its members.
Gary M. Anzalone, CEO, Clubs New York City
- Steve was excellent. Without exception he was a huge success, setting the tone for a very successful day. The consistent message from the 600 delegates was the desire to hear more... they found his information and his presentation fascinating and relevant. Steve has great presence and uses his time to maximum advantage. Very ?uent and professional.
Carole Gregson, National Employment Services Association
- On behalf of Australia Post, I would like to thank you for presenting at our Platinum Forum. Your talk on 'Detecting Fraud by Analysing Behaviour' was a great hit with our guests. I particularly enjoyed the way you involved the group throughout the presentation. The Platinum Forum has been running in Sydney for several years and, thanks to your interesting session, looks destined for the same success in WA.
Dean Nalder, State Commercial Manager, Australia Post
- Steve's training was exceptional. It was one of the best courses that I have attended.
Gosken Kalkarla, NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Read and Understand Your Clients and Watch Profits Soar
- How to Detect Deception and Read Your Clients
- Behavioural Interviewing
- The Seven Winning Methods that Build Trust and Increase Profits
- Greater Sales Through Hypno-selling (one day training package)
- One-on-one Training for Senior Executives
- Gain An Edge When Interviewing, Selling or Negotiating by Deciphering Messages Hidden in Body Language
- Detect Deception by Looking 'Between the Words'
- Express Your Better Self
Topic SynopsesRead and Understand Your Clients and Watch Profits Soar
Do you want to increase profits and your bottom line? This informative one hour keynote presentation will teach you how to benchmark behaviours and read what your customers are really thinking or feeling! This keynote is full of takeaways designed to teach you what the most common high and low confidence gestures are and how to interpret micro-expressions and non-verbal cues.
How to detect deception and read your clients
Learn what the tell tale signs of deception are and how to identify them by analysing the content and structure of language. This training in itself is extremely valuable when looking for conflict and contradiction between what a person is saying and what their body language is stating. This popular keynote covers understanding and identifying micro and facial expressions and what four key areas to look for when people engage in deception. This is ideal for interviewers, recruiters, HR managers and negotiators.
These comprehensive one- and two-day courses delve into understanding the communication process, detecting deception, analysing the content and structure of language, reading body language and micro expressions and how to utilise behavioural interviewing questions. This master training course includes real life scenarios and is very interactive with numerous practical exercises. The use of behavioural analysis questions is also covered together with theme developments. Ideal for those people that interview or for HR managers and consultants.
The Seven Winning Methods that Build Trust and Increase Profits
Learn from the marketing mistakes that some of the largest global corporations have made and how they turned themselves around. Learn Steve's seven step winning strategy, designed to build trust and create rapport whilst simultaneously increasing sales and improving brand loyalty. In this inspiring presentation Steve shows how to increase your customer base and improve rapport in what he terms the 'Trust Cycle'. Steve explains how client sales are based on psychology and emotions and how using the CFF Principle (keeping it Cool, Fun and Functional) will increase your bottom line. More importantly, he will show you how to use existing customers to 'sell your company' to new customers, for no additional expense, by becoming customer-centric. Happy customers are the cheapest and most effective marketing and branding tool available. Book Steve and see why this presentation is one of the most talked about topics that he delivers.
Greater Sales Through Hypno-selling (one day training package)
Steve is a behavioural clinical hypnotherapist who has pioneered hypno-selling programs for sales teams and call-centre personnel. In this fascinating and must attend one day event, Steve demonstrates how using the power of the mind through hypnosis, rapport building, reading clients, psychology and positive thinking, enables you to not just exceed sales targets, but obliterate them! Let Steve show you how to build your sales team's confidence, motivation and drive that will lead lead to increased sales and profits.
One-on-one Training for Senior Executives
Steve has mentored and facilitated individual mentoring programs for senior executives that improve skill sets during interviews, negotiations and meetings. See why the top Fortune 500 companies consult Steve to give them the edge over their competitors.
Gain An Edge When Interviewing, Selling or Negotiating by Deciphering Messages Hidden in Body Language
Reading your customers and identifying what they are feeling or thinking requires a unique skill set. When people try to suppress an emotion, it will often leak out and contradict what they are saying. Effective interviewers, recruiters and sales staff all need to identify the seven behavioural indicators that are displayed by all human beings. To do so consistently requires a novel approach.
Steve's '60-second profiling technique' has remarkable applications in business and life. It helps you: develop world-class observational skills; read body language with uncanny accuracy; communicate with more verve and impact; excel in interviews, sales calls and negotiations.
Detect Deception by Looking 'Between the Words'
Knowing how to analyse the content and structure of language gives you a distinct advantage. Steve can teach you to detect the difference between what’s said and what’s true in any conversation — with staff, prospects, clients, vendors or candidates — and this knowledge is power.
Express Your Better Self
Have you ever met a person with presence? A person that just had 'something about them': something that made them irresistible? Steve trains attendees to become analysts of human behaviour. When you know the secrets of body language, not only can you read others, but you can exude confidence, magnetism and integrity without saying a single word.
As a highly sought after speaker, media commentator, author, behavioural analyst and executive business coach, Steve travels around the world teaching organisations how to read their customers, detect deception, win at the negotiation table and watch profits soar. Let Steve show you how to read these verbal and non-verbal cues and prosper in business, sales, meetings, recruitment interviews and negotiations.
"I appreciated the follow up and flexibility in organising the event regarding travel arrangements and securing our preferred speaker."
Mars Petcare Australia
Subscribe to our newsletter