Susan McLean is Australia's foremost expert in the area of cyber safety and young people and was a member of Victoria Police for 27 years. Widely known as the 'cyber cop', she was the first Victoria Police Officer appointed to a position involving cyber safety and young people. In 2003 she was the Victoria Police Region Four Youth Officer of the Year. She has also been awarded The National Medal and the Victoria Police Service Medal and 2nd Clasp.
In 1994, Susan took her first report of cyberbulllying involving a group of Year 8 school girls. Having identified the then emerging problem of internet harassment and witnessed first hand the significant increase in issues relating to internet misuse over the past years, Susan began to research the issue and looked to the international arena for evidence of exemplar practices. In August 2006, she travelled to the United States where she completed the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children's Protecting Children On-line training program, and then travelled to Dallas, Texas where she attended the internationally recognised 4th Annual Internet Crimes Against Children Conference where she participated in many training programs. She also spent time working with the Dallas Police Department's Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) taskforce team where she reviewed both reactive and proactive approaches to the problem of internet crime involving young people. From March to October 2007, she managed the Victoria Police Cyber Safety Project which researched and reported on the issue of internet safety as it applied to young people and adults with an intellectual disability. She has successfully completed the University Certificate in Child Safety on the Internet from the University of Central Lancashire, United Kingdom.
Susan is unique in her vast knowledge and expertise in this area, and is the only person in Australia with her specific background, experience and qualifications. She is a sought after presenter and advisor and has delivered keynote presentations, written papers and regularly provides professional development for those working in education and other key youth stakeholders. She also works with students in the classroom and provides engaging parent education sessions. Susan provides consultancy services to a range of organizations including government and non government bodies, adolescent psychologists, magistrates, sporting bodies, corporate entities, law firms, mental health bodies and Medical Practitioners.
Susan is employed by elite sporting bodies such as the AFL (Australian Football League) and also Cricket Australia where she presented to the Australian Team, State teams both male and female as well as junior development squads. She has given expert evidence at the NSW Government Legislative Council's Standing Committee hearing into the bullying of children and young people also to a Federal Government Inquiry on a related issue. She is a member of the both the National Centre Against Bullying (NCAB) and a Federal Government working party on internet safety issues. She has authored the Cyber Safety Policy for the Victorian Country Football League and last month she provided training for School based Police Officers in New South Wales. She regularly appears on television in Australia and overseas as one of the most sought after and influential commentators and acknowledged experts on cyberbullying in the world. She has spoken on Australian and international radio as well as being sought after for print articles for Bloomberg, Spanish National News and NTN24 South America. She was the featured expert in the Leader Newspapers Don't Hurt campaign which aimed to raise the awareness of cyberbullying and its devastating effects on the community. She was recently featured in a story on 60 Minutes about the consequences of 'sexting' titled 'One Click from Disaster', which is now being used as a valuable teaching resource in high schools.
Her presentations are vibrant and engaging and draw on her many years experience working in cyberspace.
Client Comments for Susan McLean
Susan McLean travels from Victoria Australia
- Susan's presentation made a huge impact upon our students. The students were fully engaged and understood the key messages of the presentation. I have had numerous reports about students initiating dialogue about cybersafety and cyberbullying with their parents as a direct result of the presentation.
The parent presentation was excellent also and many parents have thanked us for arranging it. We also greatly appreciate Susan's flexibility in accommodating a last minute change of time.
Lloyd Street Primary School
- Susan was a good fit with the audience and was spot on with the way she pitched the information and related to the participants, she was excellent.
- Susan is an excellent presenter. She is personable and easy to get on with. She is also quick, clever and witty. Her presentations were well received and contained a lot of excellent and current information.
Gippsland Grammar School
- Susan presented extremely well to our girls. Susan also provided really useful advice to our leadership team.
Wallan Secondary College
- Susan was informative and entertaining and very clear in her advice to parents. Her experience in the field was evident and her PowerPoint presentation was well supported by her real life scenarios.
- Susan had the students engaged at all times. The parent seminar was well attended and we received very positive feedback. Thank you for your fantastic presentations.
Mentone Grammar School
- A lovely relaxed style with a clever mix of humour and sensitivity.
NSW Department of Education and Training
"Thank you Saxton for being professional and prompt right from the enquiry through to the post event stage."
Subscribe to our newsletter