Marathon swimming champion Tammy van Wisse has conquered some of the world's longest, deepest and coldest waterways, clocking up an astonishing 65,000 kilometres, equivalent to more than one-and-a-half times around the planet.
The super fish has set six World Records; swum the English Channel twice (the success rate is only seven percent); is the only person to have swum Bass Strait; and spent three and a half months submerged in the mighty Murray River - just to mention a few of her milestones.
Tammy started her formal swimming training at age 11 after being overweight as a child. She progressed through her teens winning Victorian State Swimming and Victorian Royal Life Saving Titles.
She won the Lorne Pier to Pub swim, in 1986, 1987 and 1989.Her first marathon swim was in 1986 from Beaumaris to Frankston, a distance of twenty kilometres. In 1996, she became the first person to swim the treacherous Bass Strait.
On 18 February 2001, Tammy swam the entire length of the Murray River from the alps to the ocean - a feat no one else in the world has achieved. Starting from Corryong in Victoria's high country, it took Tammy 106 days to reach the Murray Mouth in South Australia, a distance of 2438 kilometres.
However, Tammy is more than an athlete - she is a dynamic achiever with a passion for success. She epitomises the attractive, outgoing and friendly personality of a healthy young Australian. Armed with the same energy and dedication as she puts into her incredible swimming career, Tammy brings a truly unique and inspiring presentation that entertains as it informs, and inspires as it motivates. Her infectious personality, beaming smile and well modulated voice make her an excellent presenter, which is why she is very impressive as a keynote motivational speaker.
Tammy is also a passionate speaker on the environment and water quality issues, sharing her unique experience from the perspective of literally being immersed in the issues.
Whilst working in her watery office, the Murray River, Tammy tried to raise awareness about environmental problems confronting the river such as poor environmental flows, salinity and toxic algal bloom. Her heroic three and a half month quest captured the imagination of the Australian public, subsequently generating over ten million dollars of publicity for the River Murray and resulting in Tammy becoming Australia's first Salinity & Water Quality Ambassador, a title bestowed by the Federal Environment Minister.
Tammy continues to set her goals and work towards a sustainable future. She has been the Ambassador for National Water Week for seven years, recently appeared in Ian Thorpe's environmental documentary on FOX8 titled Fish Out of Water and recently completed building her own sustainable home complete with water tanks, solar hot water system and a worm farm!
Client Comments for Tammy Van Wisse
Tammy Van Wisse travels from AustraliaAustralia
- Tammy was energetic and inspiring and very generous with her time. She was very friendly and approachable and stayed to the very end of our function. People were extremely impressed and many went up to her to thank her for her wonderful presentation.
Members Equity Bank
- Inspirational and focused on the objective of the evening.
- We were absolutely delighted with your presentation. As the opening speaker for our Outstanding Women's Series you have certainly set a high standard for others to follow.
Australian Institute of Management
- Tammy was an absolute pleasure to work with in presenting Australia's premier environmental achievers with the annual Banksia Awards. Tammy's enthusiasm, commitment and professionalism absolutely made the Awards night one that our audience enjoyed immensely. Comments from our audience were made especially towards Tammy's ability to bring the evening to life and to make them feel comfortable, and at the same time they felt inspired in sharing the stage with such a wonderful Australian. Tammy's professionalism shone through in her effort and attention to detail that she utilised in her preparation for MCing of the awards, and this paid big dividends for Banksia as the night was one of the best award nights that Banksia has had in its thirteen years of presentations.
Banksia Environmental Foundation
- Tammy was both a delightful, entertaining speaker as well as a person that genuinely motivates. Her style of presentation combines anecdotal recollections of her experiences with underlying determination to succeed. She is attractive, warm, highly personable, funny, and intelligent and is able to use her experiences to instill in her audiences the value of goal setting and how goals can be achieved through planning, determination and true grit.
- You have given us the courage and determination to continue on with the things we want to pursue in life whether they be great or small, difficult or easy. I know that you have become an idol to many of the girls due to your inner strength which you called on to enable you to defy all odds and achieve your goals and aspirations.
Melbourne Girls College
- I believe that every company should have a 'shot of Tammy', every now and again, to show them that if you set your mind to anything, you can achieve it with a little effort.
- Your talk was perfectly suited to the theme for the week and well tailored to the highly appreciative audience. A number of staff have mentioned they have been motivated to 'do something' for the environment as a result of listening to your talk.
Dept of Innovation, Industry and Regional Dvpmt
- Thank you for your fantastic contribution to the 2002 National Young Leaders' Day. Your presentation made a powerful impact on the lives of the student leaders who attended. We had a lot of positive feedback from your session. Both students and principals commented on the way their thinking was challenged by the content of your message and how enjoyable it was.
Ruth Strother, National Conference Director
- A great presentation that allowed us as participants in the days to utilize someone elses experiences in the planning for new projects.
Victoria WorkCover Authority
- Tammy provided an inspirational speech to the children and was very engaging.
Williamstown North Primary School
- Tammy was an exceptionally good speaker. She had prepared her presentation extremely well to ensure it was both engaging and informative. Even though it was a very hot day - the students were completely engaged and interested in all aspects of Tammy's presentation. We found her to be an extremely warm, enthusiastic and professional speaker.
Lloyd Street Primary School
- Thank you for such an entertaining and inspiring presentation. The terrific feedback on how well it was received by the group is reflective of the vitality in which your presentation was delivered. There were significant parallels for our business planning process – having a tangible vision, dealing with setbacks and detailed and extensive planning.
- Thank you very much for your support of the Riding the Wave of Leadership Centenary Forum. You were such a fantastic speaker on the evening and were able to engage the audience so easily. You relive your stories with such enthusiasm and honesty, it was a pleasure to listen to your presentation.
- Tammy delighted the audience with her motivational talk. She was intelligent, entertaining and charming, and most of all - inspirational.
Australian Netherlands Chamber of Commerce
- The Baw Baw Shire Australia Day Celebrations were an outstanding success due, in large part, to your ability to deliver an inspiring address which provided an interesting insight into your life. Your strength and determination to achieve your goals was a wonderful example for those in attendance, and was most appropriate for the occasion.
Baw Baw Shire Council
- Your very inspirational and motivational speech to all 420 girls and staff at the school was most valuable with every girl that attended walking away with something from your speech. Your friendly and positive personality was ideal to relate to this group and showed the girls that with a little hard work and determination, anything's possible.
Monterey Secondary College
- Tammy was fun and entertaining, and as for providing that special motivational spark she was perfect. Tammy was equal to, and indeed better than the many speakers I have heard.
Fay & Fay Public Relations Consultants
- Tammy's enthusiasm was catching - she made you feel that anything was possible to achieve if you out your mind to it.
The Phillips Group, QLD
- Tammy was excellent. She pitched her presentation at an appropriate level. Very engaging and a warm personality.
CPA Centre VIC
- So many people have remarked on what a tremendous story you have to tell. They also universally felt proud to be associated with a fellow Australian who has set and reached such remarkable goals. Your warmth and enthusiasm invited the audience to share your experiences and they were carried along by the message.
Matrix Planning Solutions
- Tammy is a delight to work with, she is easy going, positive and professional.
Young Leaders Foundation Ltd
- Tammy was an absolute darling! She was warm, welcoming, professional, and an inspiration to all on the night, with her dedication to 'following her dreams' to a tee. We would be only too happy to highly recommend Tammy to anyone in the future.
WestVic Dairy Inc.
- Your informative and very entertaining presentation was of excellent value and totally inspiring. Your talk created great discussions and admiration for your achievements amongst our guests.
West End Business Association
- Tammy was excellent. Our students all felt that she was a genuine and wonderful person. Client: Preston.
Her speech was well developed, humerous, meaningful and enlightening!
Preston Girls Secondary College
- I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the outstanding job you did of hosting the inaugural Swan Hill Region Chefs of the Murray... without your skills, expertise and dedication to this project, the event would not have been the success it was.
Swan Hill Rural City Council
- Following Your Dreams
- Goal Setting – Finding the Power Within
- Maintaining Motivation
- The Murray River - a Swim of Environmental Endurance
- To Motivate, Just Add Water and Teamwork
- Turning Dreams into a Reality
- Why Women are the Ultimate Winners in the Endurance Race
- Winning Against the Odds
"I came into this process quite late and your company was excellent in keeping us informed, anticipating issues and reminding us when we'd overlooked things... and always answerable to our questions. It was exceedingly smooth. It was a pleasure to deal with you."
Subscribe to our newsletter