Tim Lane is one of the most respected sporting commentators in Australia.
His career began via a conversation with a local sport personality in Tasmania in early 1972 that lead to an opportunity to call football on radio. The next year he went looking for work in sport commentary and secured part-time work calling football with the ABC. 18 months later, Tim had his first big break when he moved to a full time position with ABC Sport in Hobart where he remained until 1979 when he moved to Melbourne.
Tim's versatility became evident in 1982 after calling athletics at the Commonwealth Games.
At the end of 1988, Tim moved from television to radio and in addition to calling football, he became a regular part of the team calling international cricket.
There hasn't been a major sporting event in this nation in the past quarter of a century, which hasn't had Tim's unique and distinct commentary style across it.
In 2003, Tim left the ABC after a distinguished and esteemed career and joined TEN‘s AFL commentary team.
Tim is one of the most experienced sporting commentators in the country with a CV that includes over 20 AFL /VFL Grand Finals, 15 seasons of international cricket, six Commonwealth Games and five Olympic Games.
There are few major sporting events that Tim has not been involved in and he lists his greatest individual sporting highlight as calling Cathy Freeman's 400 metre final at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
In so many ways his articulate commentary, thoughtful analysis and obvious passion for our games, most notably AFL, have seen him emerge as Australia's voice of sport.
He is also heavily involved in the print media, with his much-awaited column appearing every Saturday in The Age.
Client Comments for Tim Lane
Tim Lane travels from Victoria Australia
- Tim's presentation was very engaging with many questions from the audience. He was very social at our event interacting with many of our guests.
Echuca Community for the Aged
- Tim provided a valuable contribution to national forum's. Tim engaged audiences in each State, and provided many giggle's along the way.
- Tim Lane was a wonderful speaker for our closing luncheon. He did a great job in wrapping up the conference on a high note.
The Meeting Planners
- Tim Lane was very well received by the audience with excellent feedback from them on his role and comments. He captured the essence of the event with his own story, made people laugh and of course wove in football which always works at a Melbourne event.
- Very professional and accommodating to any last minute changes to the evening. Very strong speaker and held the room which I find a lot of MC's struggle to do but Tim was exceptional.
Carlton Football Club
- The evening was an outstanding success and Tim was just perfect. Everyone was delighted with how Tim ran the night - it was just magic! His ability to read the audience and respond accordingly was amazing. We could not have wished for a better host to MC the evening.
Pernod Ricard - Orlando Wines
- Tim was fantastic, professional, relaxed and so easy to work with. He nailed the tone and style that we were looking for and got some much more from Michael Clarke than we had wished for. He really brought the event to a new level. I will definitely be looking to use him again should I have the opportunity and I would highly recommend him to other groups.
- Tim is a consummate professional. He listens to the brief and then implements it. It was a pleasure to have him back a second time.
Credit Suisse Management (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Tim was very accommodating with our specific requests and professional on the night.
Credit Suisse Management Australia
- Thank you very much for your assistance as MC at the Credit Suisse Garden Party with Roger Federer. Although the weather gods were definitely against us, they did not manage to dampen the enthusiasm of our clients who all thoroughly enjoyed the event. There can be no doubt that their enjoyment was enhanced by the excellent job you performed as MC. We really do appreciate the time and effort you obviously took to prepare yourself for this event. That attention was evident in your presentation and the thoughtful range of questions you asked. I sensed you enjoyed the event as much as we did!
Credit Suisse, Australia