Wayne Pearce is one of Australia's most respected and highest profile rugby league identities. Over the past decade he has established a reputation for engaging leaders in delivery of effective change management programs.
Wayne carved out an illustrious career in rugby league where he represented and captained the Balmain Tigers, New South Wales and Australia from 1980 to 1990. He played 217 competition matches for the Tigers, 15 State of Origin matches and 19 tests for Australia.
Wayne was the pin-up boy and face of rugby league throughout the 1980s and in 1988, long-time team-mate Benny Elias said of Wayne: 'Of all the players I ever saw, he was the closest at playing up to his full potential every week. Albert Einstein once said that human beings only use five percent of their potential but Albert did not meet Junior Pearce'.
In 1988, while still a player, he was awarded an Order of Australia Medal for services to rugby league and the community. During his playing career, Wayne also completed a Bachelor of Science degree and Diploma of Education at the University of New South Wales. He found his university psychology studies to be particularly useful when he retired from playing and commenced a professional coaching career with the Balmain Tigers. He coached the Tigers through a period of massive change when they merged with Western Suburbs to become the Wests Tigers. He was so successful as the Tigers coach that he was appointed New South Wales state of origin coach in 1999.
Wayne's outstanding leadership was again showcased in the year 2000 when he coached the NSW Blues to a 3-0 whitewash over Queensland, becoming the only person to both captain (which he did in 1986) and then coach (in 2000) a 3-0 series win.
Wayne is widely regarded as an innovator and in 2001 upon retiring from sports coaching, he took his knowledge and expertise in leading high performing teams to the corporate world with Wayne Pearce Advantage.
By combining proven sports psychology techniques with a mix of organisational and behavioural change methodologies, Wayne has developed a range of powerful tools and techniques designed to help businesses address gaps in the areas of leadership, teamwork and motivation.
He has a wide portfolio of satisfied clients across Australia and south-east Asia who have benefited from his highly effective outcomes-based methods and workshops. His clients include ANSTO, John Holland, Bunnings, Caltex, Commonwealth Bank, Coates Hire, Downer EDI, IAG Insurance, News Limited, RTA and UGL.
Wayne is a highly engaging presenter, facilitator and acclaimed keynote speaker who captivates every audience with his unique approach and compelling content.
In terms of leadership, Wayne continues to research innovative ways to educate aspiring leaders and he practices what he preaches, as evidenced by his acceptance of a role as an inaugural Australian Rugby League Commissioner.
Client Comments for Wayne Pearce
Wayne Pearce travels from New South Wales Australia
- Wayne was the perfect choice to attend our event. He was so approachable and respectful of all patrons no matter the circumstance they were in. His speech was very detailed, clear and supportive of the centre. Would definitely recommend Wayne for any event.
Emerton Leisure Centre
- Wayne was outstanding! He really is a decent person, so nice and accommodating and very professional. The luncheon was a runaway success and everyone had a ball.
Wayne read the audience very well and told a number of funny stories which all got a good reaction. He also spoke about Mitchell and this too was well received. He mingled with everyone, signed autographs and was a huge hit with many of the older audience members who remembered his career. Our MC is a local radio DJ and he is also a musician. When he found out Wayne was in a band he brought his guitar along and kept it out of sight. After the speeches he produced the guitar on Wayne and requested a song. Wayne had the look of genuine, good natured surprise, but didn't hesitate. He grabbed the guitar and gave a rendition of a Paul Kelly song. It was terrific and a pretty cool way to end!
Wayne was an absolutely first class speaker and everyone said this. He spoke for a long time, was open with his answers and even took a break and came on again later. He made our luncheon!
Gungahlin Bulls Junior Rugby League Club
- Wayne was very informative and well spoken. We all enjoyed his stories and motivation in teamwork. He was polite, friendly and we had a lot of positive feedback.
Paul Davis Rajalingam Consulting Engineers
- Wayne's passion and dedication for the psychology of team building has helped my senior leadership team on the journey to achieving world-class performance levels. His compelling messages on team and personal development have been embraced by my staff... he is truly an inspiration.
- Wayne's ongoing contribution in helping us galvanise the culture of our geographically disparate working groups has been outstanding and the feedback from our employees has been fantastic.
- Wayne Pearce Advantage has become an invaluable partner in the development of our business teams. The programs and service provided are of the highest quality and reach our staff at all levels.
- A key team in my operation had become dysfunctional and was in need of intervention and refocusing. This was not something that could be done using internal resources, so we engaged Wayne to run a full day workshop with the senior people from that team. The feedback was terrific with the overwhelming comment being that it was best day of its type that the staff had attended. Most importantly the team is now producing great results and we are using Wayne to help us improve productivity across our business.
Commonwealth Private Bank
- Team leadership training is our number one priority and Wayne Pearce is without doubt our finest leadership trainer. Wayne has a knack of communicating the complicated challenges of leadership in a simple and easy to implement manner that yields a measurable boost in performance.
The National Education Group
- Wayne has taught us how to become a high performing team. He has brought us together, taught us how to win and been a catalyst for some outstanding results... he is a great role model and a master motivator.
- A big thank you to Wayne for the excellent team workshops he conducted this year. Both our admin and sales team have enjoyed and raved about the massive benefits each work shop has provided us. It has been really evident how cohesive our team has become since he began helping us and the productivity benefits have been enormous.
Harris Partners Real Estate
- Wayne Pearce infused his winning style in a room of 60 all female Bras N Things retail managers with a clearly communicated and very uplifting presentation. He left everyone feeling empowered in both their business and personal lives.
Bras N Things
- The staff rated our conference as the best ever with the highlight being Wayne Pearce's half-day session that left the staff highly motivated, bonded and inspired to succeed.
Channel 7 Queensland
- Since Wayne's inspirational two day workshop we have observed a significant improvement in team focus and interpersonal trust levels that has translated into a very positive energy across our leadership team. The non-negotiable team behaviours that Wayne helped us identify and commit to at the workshop, continue to act as a catalyst for higher productivity across the team.
- Wayne had a workshop audience of 77 people attending. I think you would find it very difficult to find a single person who did not thoroughly enjoy his presentation, and learn something from it in regard to teamwork and coaching. Even those who were not football enthusiasts were engrossed with his experience, knowledge, wit, 'down to earth' personality and charisma.
- Wayne's presentation was professional and enthusiastic and his unique approach to engaging people was most enlightening. His contribution throughout the day was invaluable to us achieving our conference objectives and we look forward to continuing to use the services of WPA to develop our business culture.
- Our one day workshop with Wayne has resulted in a highly motivated team that is now ready to take our business to the next level. From the day we spent together the team has gained a strong trust for each other and enthusiasm to work together as a team. It is an amazing experience to observe what has been achieved by the workshop with Wayne whose enthusiasm and passion is truly inspirational and without doubt has resulted in a positive change of culture in our office.
- The content and delivery of Wayne's presentation was outstanding. In fact, the feedback from our conference delegates was nothing short of exceptional. The lessons he taught us were very practical and inspirational and it has had an immediate, positive impact on our team behaviour.
John Swire & Sons
- We use Wayne Pearce Advantage to co-ordinate our people development strategy right across the south-east Asia region which includes Singapore and Hong Kong. In fact, Wayne's programs have been instrumental in helping our regional business develop a highly successful team culture.
- Wayne was exceptional. He was the most motivating and inspiring public speaker I have ever witnessed. I cannot speak highly enough of him both as a person and as a presenter.
- Wayne was very personable and approachable - he had no problems doing 'PR' afterwards with the group - very much appreciated by the client! Wayne was perfectly suited to our group's requirements, and the client has already requested the possibility of booking him for the next event!
- After-Dinner Sporting Anecdotes
- Health, Wellbeing and the Business Athlete
- Managing Change in the 21st Century
- Motivating Your People - The Principles of Optimal Staff Engagement
- The Art of Leadership - Managing vs Leading
- Unlocking Super-Teamwork
- Workplace Coaching and Mentoring
"Nanette was fantastic. She was very attentive to time specific requests, and a pleasure to work with."
Subscribe to our newsletter