Alex Malley is the chief executive of CPA Australia, one of the world’s largest accounting bodies with 19 offices globally and more than 160,000 members worldwide. He also heads its financial services subsidiary business, CPA Australia Advice.
In addition, Alex is the host of the Nine Network Australia series In Conversation with Alex Malley, author of the best-selling book The Naked CEO and provides career mentoring to young people via thenakedceo.com.
A LinkedIn influencer and contributor to The Huffington Post, he is also a regular commentator on the Nine Network Australia’s Weekend Today show and 2GB.
Alex has been included on The Accountant magazine’s Global Accounting Power 50 List, has addressed the National Press Club Australia, and his policy thought-leadership has informed key national economic and political debates. He also serves on The Prince of Wales Accounting for Sustainability project.
From suspended schoolboy to disruptive CEO, Alex Malley does what he believes in.
Alex donates his speaking fee to charity.
Client Comments for Alex Malley
- Alex Malley is an excellent communicator. He is able to make the complex simple and to do it in a way which is thoroughly entertaining and engrossing. Each time I listen to one of his speeches I make a mental note to remember to say yes to the next invitation.
David Gonski, Chair, Investec Bank
- Alex is a very effective speaker on issues of public importance and public policy. He has a wide body of experience and is able to provide insight and strong content on a range of issues. His speaking style is clear and he is particularly adept with off the cuff and discursive presentation.
Michael Gill, former CEO, Financial Review Group
- Alex Malley is a gifted public speaker. His oratory on the issues that are important in business and in life is imbued with the passion and commitment that he genuinely feels about the things that matter; and a great many things matter to Alex. He has vast experience in business, the professions, and academia, and he speaks with fluency and authority on a wide range of topics. Alex has a rare talent for reaching out to people and connecting with them in ways that are individually meaningful to them, even when he is talking to a large group. Alex's speeches are witty, informative, engaging, thought-provoking, and thought-leading. His considerable abilities as a leader shine through when he speaks publicly. I've been in audiences where Alex has reduced the room to tears in sympathy with his message, I've been in the room when Alex has inspired those listening him to go and do great things, I've seen Alex mobbed after a talk he delivered by attendees who wanted more by way of private counsel, a copy of his speech, permission to use his words, and so on. I've been to a great many public talks delivered by hundreds (perhaps thousands) of speakers, and Alex reads an audience like no-one else I've encountered apart from a celebrated few who are on a very short list.
Professor Richard Petty PhD, Macquarie Graduate School of Management
- The Keys to Leading a Big Life
- Mindful Leadership
- Strategies Behind a Dramatic Turnaround: A Case Study in Organisational Change
- The Power Within: Unleashing Your Potential
- The Digital Leader: Strategies for Success in a Networked World
- Building Digital Tribes: Mobilising Global Communities and Integrating Them Into Your Business
- Business in the Asian Century: Opportunities in the New Borderless World
- Change Management: The Infectious Nature of Inspirational Behaviours
- Communication: The Critical Need to Speak Human When Communicating
- Cultural Change: The Essential Need to Believe in the Leader
- Disruption: Leadership Behaviour is Not a Technical Term
- Leadership Fundamentals: The Power of Instinct and Judgment
- Leadership: The Best Leaders Are Those Who Teach
- Marketing Now: Building Marketing Intelligence Through Integrated Social Media Influencing
- Mobilising the Next Generation of Global Leaders
- The Courage to Fail: My Three Days With Neil Armstrong
Topic SynopsesThe Keys to Leading a Big Life
Alex motivates his audience with an inspiring and candid discussion about the benefits of not being limited by fear and embarrassment. Possessing the courage to fail in order to reach a vision, whether it's your own or that of the business, is a leadership quality that should never be underestimated. It will open the doors to a big life, rich in experience and personal growth.
Alex believes wisdom is a collection of experiences; it's unlikely you'll ever be in a position to help others if you allow fear and embarrassment to hold back your big life.
Growing up with a mother who suffered from clinical depression, Alex learnt from an early age that life should never be taken for granted or dreams left unsought. As a boy he'd lock himself in his own world, dreaming of a big future brimming with adventure. Initially this led him down a chequered path as he learnt how to harness his youthful desire. But this wasn't about changing who he was as a person: it was about refining the best he had to offer.
In this compelling and honest address, Alex shares how his early-life experiences – even his school suspension – shaped him as a leader and taught him five critical attributes of quality leadership: empathy, influence, consistency, storytelling and self–awareness.
Strategies Behind a Dramatic Turnaround: A Case Study in Organisational Change
Learn how to lead your business to new heights while respecting its traditions.
Alex recounts his experiences transforming one of Australia's most established and conservative businesses, CPA Australia, into one underpinned by a culture of innovation and challenging the status quo. His experience confirms that a cultural change, inspiring a collective belief of daring to dream, is only possible when people genuinely believe in the leader.
This is why Alex has led from the front on innovative initiatives such as filming the last and most in-depth interview with Neil Armstrong, launching the national television series In Conversation with Alex Malley and creating the global mentoring brand, The Naked CEO.
The Power Within: Unleashing Your Potential
Alex Malley believes that too many of today's leaders favour risk management over inspired vision; seemingly, self-preservation lies at the core of their management approach. Join the CEO, television host and best-selling author for a candid and inspiring discussion about how dismissing fear and embarrassment will not only help you reach your own full potential, but also the potential of others.
The Digital Leader: Strategies for Success in a Networked World
While some leaders shy away from getting personally involved in social media through fear of direct access, CEO Alex Malley embraces it. Whether it's through his mentoring community thenakedceo.com, as a LinkedIn Influencer or on Twitter, Alex has created multiple digital touch-points with external stakeholders, sparking a culture shift in the way CPA Australia markets its brand.
Get a CEO's perspective on the importance of brand personalisation and how to build and mobilise global communities.
"The service was impeccable."
Subscribe to our newsletter