Anh Do is an accomplished author, actor, producer and comedian, a man who went from being a starving refugee at the age of three to one of Australia's best-loved entertainers, an incredible story detailed in his multi award-winning and enormously popular memoir The Happiest Refugee.
Anh completed degrees in Business and Law at the University of Technology, Sydney, but declined offers from several law firms in favour of what he knew to be his true passion: comedy. After bagging every comedy award in town, including Sydney Comedian of the Year, playing to sell out crowds at the Melbourne Comedy Festival and The Sydney Opera House, and appearing on Rove Live, Spicks & Specks, Thank God You're Here, Dancing with the Stars and The Footy Show, Anh Do turned his hand to acting, film producing, writing and the speaking world, where he has proven an incredibly popular MC, motivational keynote speaker and corporate entertainer.
He co-produced The Finished People (described by Margaret Pomeranz as 'one of the best Australian films of 2003'), wrote the script for Footy Legends in which he acted alongside an all-star Australian cast including Angus Sampson, Claudia Karvan and Emma Lung, and has been a sketch writer for SBS's Life Support and Sitcom Head Writer for Westy Ninja.
An accomplished actor, he was a regular on Channel 9's Don't Blame Me and has appeared in guest roles on Seachange, All Saints and Pizza.
The Happiest Refugee: A memoir was published in 2010, winning numerous awards including 2011 Australian Book of the Year, Biography of the Year and Newcomer of the Year, as well as 2011 Indie Book of the Year and Non-fiction Indie Book, and being shortlisted for the 2011 NSW Premier's Literary Awards and the Community Relations Commission Award. It describes how his entire family came close to losing their lives at sea as they escaped from war-torn Vietnam in an overcrowded boat, facing murderous pirates and the imminent threat of death by hunger, disease and dehydration, to Anh's current status as one of Australia's best-loved personalities.
Client Comments for Anh Do
Anh Do travels from New South Wales Australia
- Anh has the ability to gets his audience involved in his story, the whole room is laughing, we enjoyed his performance very much.
- I wanted to thank you very much for arranging our comedian, Anh Do. My Managing Director and our clients were very impressed with Anh, who did a fantastic job!! His jokes were appropriate to the audience and a great time was had by all. We would not hesitate to recommend and use Anh again.
Australian Administration Services
- Ahn was exceptional.
Queensland Law Society
- Great entertainer, great to work with, we love Anh!
- What more can I say – Anh is a real gentleman, professional and such a fantastic performer.
Financial Planning Association of Australia
- Ahn was sensational as always.
Sane Event Management
- Anh Do incorporated the brief given to him by the client extremely well . His performance was very well suited to the audience, extremely funny and entertaining whilst having the right message behind the performance.
- Anh was fantastic and a true professional, full of life and happy to be telling people his amazing story. I have had many clients, staff and senior management all make comments on how much they enjoyed his performance and would be delighted to see it again. I have been lucky during my corporate life to be able to say "been there, seen that, listened to him/her speak", and I will add Anh to the top of my list. Truly amazing, topped off a great night.
Cobham Aviation Services Australia
- Anh Do was excellent to work with and we had great feedback from many of our guests. We will definitely love to work with him in the future!
Australian Labor Party (ALP) NSW
- Anh was a hit at the dinner, everyone was in stitches with his jokes!
Queensland Law Society
- Very lively and knows how to work a Flight Centre audience.
Flight Centre Marketing & LOL Finance Team
- Very accommodating, great speaker, very professional.
GEMS Event Management
- Anh Do was absolutely perfect for our event last night. As he has experience with performing in front of NRL audiences, the pitch and tone used was spot on. He was extremely entertaining, a lovely person to work with and very polite.
Most if not all of our guests in attendance last night (700) would agree that Anh made the night! Please pass on our sincere thanks to Anh once again and let him know that we hope to have the chance to invite him to entertain us again some time in the future.
Cowboys Rugby League Football Club
- I would like to pass on our thanks for providing Anh Do as our guest presenter at our Annual Principals weekend held in Adelaide this April.
One of the standouts I took from Anh's session is that humour does not happen by accident! While our delegates would have no idea of the planning, research, repositioning and preparation that Anh does before his performance, the effort took me by surprise. I suppose that is why his performance went so smoothly on the night and why he is not only understood his target market but was able to hit them with pertinent, relevant and non-offensive humour.
The feedback I received on the night and in subsequent discussions with our delegates was excellent. He had a tough audience of experiences travellers; many of whom are accustomed to being entertained by some of the world's best performers. Anh did not suffer in the comparison. He knew what we wanted and delivered!
I personally enjoyed his performance as well. To watch a consummate professional go about his job and be able to laugh heartily at the same was a privilege. I would recommend Anh to any organisation who wished to introduce a blend of humour and life into a function. I would be confident in Anh's ability to reach any audience – whatever their composition.
Financial Planning Association
- I just wanted to let you know Anh was fantastic last Thursday night. Personally I found him easy to get along with and completely unpretentious. He was perfect for the audience, and his material was relevant. He even provided an unscripted/impromptu introduction to the speaker before him which really grabbed the attention of the audience. I don't know what else to say but I would highly recommend him to anyone.
- Simply amazing... he received a standing ovation!
- We thought we were 'just' getting a really funny comedian - and we certainly did - but so much more... we have had many speakers over the years and Anh was the best ever!
The Conference Team
- Anh is the consummate professional and took a lot of time to learn about our business and the people involved - he has a strong inspirational message and is just a great performer - I'd recommend Anh unreservedly.
- Inspiring, positive, uplifting... brilliant!
Hymans Asset Management
- I just wanted to give you some feedback on our recent guest speaker Anh Do. I received nothing but positive feedback from all our staff who were lucky enough to be present during Anh's performance. Anh really involved the crowd which everyone enjoyed very much, he kept things very up beat and interesting for the whole duration and we were even lucky enough to have Anh join us for dinner as well as offer to be our MC for the night! This really lightened everyone up and gave us all a great laugh. All in all judging from the feedback I've received I'd have to give it a 10/10. Very very funny & quite interesting.
Anh himself was an absolute pleasure to deal with. I'd recommend him to anyone looking for a light hearted performance & I will be!
- Anh was fantastic. Feedback from our staff was that he was very entertaining, engaging and down to earth person. Definitely a winner!
- I wanted to get in touch with you to express how much we enjoyed the comedian, Ahn Do, who we booked through you for a Onesteel Reinforcing dinner.
Ahn was hilarious and he took the time to find out some personal details about some of the staff to make it a more personalised routine. The staff loved him, he got a great reception from the audience. We were also appreciative that his jokes were appropriate for the audience.
Thanks for arranging Ahn Do for us, we highly recommend him for future functions.
- Anh was absolutely brilliant! I was thoroughly impressed with his ability to adapt his performance to incorporate many of the themes and issues that my program focuses on in the region. This was the first time that we had used a comedian for this type of event and his performance was a breath of fresh air. I received comments from attendees throughout the night about how fabulous the event was and how much they enjoyed Anh. Anh played a major role in the overall success of the night.
Greater Shepparton City Council
- Anh was a pleasure to deal with during the briefing conference call and listened to what we asked. His performance was excellent and is still topic of conversation. I would have NO hesitation in recommending him, he was a definite highlight of our conference.
Pack & Send Systems Pty Ltd
- Outstanding presentation which brought plenty of positive comment over the next two days.
Rural Press Limited
- Anh Do was amazing. His story is truly inspirational; he had people in tears one minute and fits of laughter the next. He totally nailed it!
Eli Lilly Australia
- Anh was brilliant. He did a great speech which incorporated humour, motivation and inspiration. Everyone has continually raved on about him, and he was easily the highlight of the night. Even on a personal level, he made sure he took photos with everyone, and spoke to all the star struck guests without rushing them or trying to make a quick getaway. Was a fantastic speech that could be purely summed up by the response made by one of the attendee's who commented: "After his talk, I feel like I could run through a brick wall".
Westpac Banking Corporation
- So flexible to understand client's last minute needs. A rarity in this business.
Event Production Management
- Anh was excellent, everyone loved him and were very excited to see him. They not only laughed right through the presentation, but he was also talked about for days afterwards. There was a huge line up for his signature and a photo with his books and he was very obliging. We were all very impressed, he is certainly one of the strongest speakers we have had. In fact, between Li Cunxin and Anh Do – they have been the most popular for our audience and the most, even to this day, continually talked about!
- Ahn was an absolute delight to work with and he had our almost all blokey audience in his hand. Using him after the main course was perfect timing as most of the guests had already done their networking and were ready to be entertained.
Lehman & Associates
- We could have heard a pin drop whilst Anh was speaking, and to address a room of 150 principals on the third day of their conference was outstanding. I would highly recommend him to anyone, one minute there was tears of laughter, the next minute tears of sadness. He is very gifted in speaking, but so genuine; I think a lot who heard him speak were heading straight to the bookshop to purchase his book.
Department of Education & Early Childhood Development
- Anh provided great entertainment and fulfilled our client brief perfectly. His ability to connect with the audience and tell his story was fantastic.
Charter Hall Group
- As we expected he was AMAZING. He didn't disappoint and is just a total professional and ever so funny. He had the whole audience enthralled and engaged, which is hard at 10am! This is the second time we have used Anh and wouldn't hesitate to use him again and recommend him to people.
- Anh Do knows how to fly by the seat of his proverbial pants when tricky situations occur with such a great sense of humour. The company has booked Anh two year running for their awards MC and he delivered more than he promises the second time round. Anh is also quite happy to spend a little time with guests for photo opportunities which provides a lovely wow for the guests on the night and makes it just that little more special.
Event Production Management
- Anh was great at the conference, content wise it was fantastic.
People's Choice Credit Union
"Excellent as always, Nancy is always professional and delivers."
FAST (Finance & Systems Technology Pty Ltd)
Subscribe to our newsletter