Bob Carr was Foreign Minister of Australia during a time of tumult and change. He helped elevate Australia's relations with China, making three visits that resulted in a strategic partnership and guaranteed meetings between the leaders of the two countries. This work won him unrivalled insight into China's prospects. He developed relationships with President Thein Sein of Myanmar and the Nobel Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi which helped open this once closed country to the world. In five visits to Indonesia he forged a closer Australian relationship with the Republic and knows intimately the hopes and anxieties and prospects of this country, so vital to Australia. In his last days in office he sat between Presidents Putin and Yudhoyono representing Australia in the G20 and discussed the Syrian crisis with other leaders including President Obama. At this unrivalled forum he participated in exchanges about economic growth, job prospects and budget discipline involving the 20 top economies plus the European Union and the World Bank.
At the United Nations Bob Carr spearheaded the last stage of Australia's campaign to win election to the Security Council. On October 18 when Australia scored 140 votes out of 193, he declared it 'a big juicy win for Australia'.
He has met the leadership of America including Vice President Joe Biden, Secretaries of State Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, senior figures in the Senate including John McCain and, on numerous occasions, the legendary former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.
Recently retired from Federal politics - and with the experience of having led New South Wales for a record period - Bob Carr is uniquely qualified to talk about how international developments can shape your business and about the phenomenon of China. He can give unrivalled insights into the 10 nations of South East Asia and the opportunity they offer as their growth forges. In his inimitable way Bob Carr offers a humorous and enlightened account of what it's like to be a member of the Foreign Minister's club, to shape opinion, and to win and lose arguments in world forums. Generally recognised as one of Australia's very best public communicators, no former Australian leader offers Bob Carr's mix of erudition, insight, succinctness and authority.
Client Comments for Bob Carr
- Mr. Carr is an exceptional speaker with an amazing ability of truly capturing the audience. The presentation was scored as one of the best at the conference.
- The Hon Bob Carr delivered an informative and thought provoking presentation. Our client ACCA, the event sponsor KPMG and other headline speakers all agreed that he set a high level for the event.
- Carr is the most consistently effective, engaging and entertaining speaker with whom I have collaborated.
Graham Freudenberg, Political Speech Writer
- Both the afternoon event and the awards night went really well. Bob was a great speaker and I know our management team found the meeting with him very valuable.
- Carr is a smart speaker, a colourful orator with a carefully trained voice.
Gerard Noonan, The Sydney Morning Herald.
- There is no doubt Carr is a master orator.
Simon Benson, The Daily Telegraph
- America's Future: How Its Strengths and Weaknesses Affect Your Business
- Global Warming - the Most Serious Challenge of our Time
- Greenhouse, Terrorism and Proliferation
- Imagining Catastrophe
- Leadership: An Australian Looks at the Careers of Lincoln and FDR
- Lessons For Today From the World's Greatest Leaders
- The 10 Decisions Australia Got Right
- The Australia of 1942 and the Fall of Singapore
- The Case for Medical Research
- The Roman Empire and its Lessons for Us
- The Terrorist Threat: How to Survive as a Business in the New climate
"Well-organised, friendly and helpful. I can't really pick any improvements in service, as I found that I always got a prompt response to any of my questions, I got updates on the status of our booking and they were generally very impressive and professional. Perfect when organising a busy event that involves coordinating a raft of stakeholders - Sam made my life a hell of a lot easier!"
National Australia Bank
Subscribe to our newsletter