Jacqui Cooper has represented Australia in the sport of aerial skiing for over 20 years. Recruited at the age of 16 to join the Techne Team, within three years Jacqui was representing her country at the World Championships in Lake Placid; by 1994 she was competing at the Lillehammer Winter Olympics. In 1999, she became a World Champion, and in the decade that followed, Jacqui Cooper dominated and revolutionised her sport.
In a long and decorated career, Jacqui has competed in 139 World Cup Events, nine World Championships and has been selected to five Winter Olympic teams, the first Australian Woman in history (Summer or Winter Games) to have enjoyed this honour. And with a record five world titles, 39 World Cup medals, 24 World Cup wins and three major World Championship medals, Jacqui Cooper is indisputably the greatest aerial skier of all time.
Jacqui's sport, however, is unforgiving; she has multiple reconstructions for her knee, elbow, shoulder and hip. In 2001 she broke her back in an attempt to win a record third World Title; she went on and won it. In 2002 at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics Jacqui shattered her knee and broke her leg just two days before scheduled to compete, destroying a dream years in the making.
In 2010, Jacqui competed in Vancouver after a year of intense hip and knee rehabilitation, shocking doctors and spectators with her brave attempt to be competitive, despite the odds. She spent most of the months leading into the competition in a wheelchair, learning to walk again, and gaining confidence in a sport that is often brutal and cruel. She stunned the world when she placed fifth, the best Olympic result of her career.
Jacqui continues to devote much of her time to various international sporting committees including the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) Board, the AOC Athlete's Commission, Ski and Snowboard Australia Board, the Australian Institute of Sport Athletes Commission, the International Ski Federation (FIS) Athletes Committee, the FIS Freestyle Athletes Committee, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Athlete's Committee and the WADA Education Committee.
In addition to sport, Jacqui's passion is the education of young people on the importance of a healthy lifestyle, nutrition, being role models, pursuing your dreams, being active, and goal setting. Jacqui speaks to all levels of students had has travelled to remote Aboriginal communities in a drug awareness campaign. In 2001 Jacqui's interest, knowledge and passion for clean sport saw her become a key presenter for the AOC in their national drug education program. Since 2010, Jacqui has been La Trobe Financial's Company Ambassador.
Jacqui was recently a recipient of the Governor's Award, presented at the Vic Sports Awards in 2008 for being a role model, a champion, and a woman successful in sport and in life.
Jacqui's story is one of self belief, passion, triumph, tragedy and the ability to overcome adversity against the odds.
Client Comments for Jacqui Cooper
- Jacqui had the crowd mesmerised, with several rounds of applause from the group throughout her speech; she was more than happy to answer any questions, personally went up to each table after her speech with one of her world titles trophy and handed her world championship medals around the room, also happy to have her photo taken with trophy in hand with any and everyone from my group. I really don't know how I'm going to top next year dinner; three days later, I am still receiving calls and emails about Jacqui.
- It has helped us to keep driving forward and overcoming challenges when things appear to get jammed in our business. She delivered such a powerful message to the team.
- Jacqui was fantastic. I knew she was a wonderful athlete but I never knew the extent of her courage and strength. I loved listening to Jacqui and hearing about her story. Very inspiring.
- La Trobe Financial is proud to have been Jacqui's lead Sponsor for the past three years as she embodies all the attributes and hallmarks of wonderful Australian sportswoman and international champion. She is modest, warm and sincere and has an unparalleled ability to communicate her message to a whole host of age groups that we employ from 18 to 50+. This five time Olympian is one in a billion, and an opportunity to hear from her real life injury comebacks time and time again, as well as her World cup achievements should never be missed.
La Trobe Financial Corporation
- I have heard Jacqui speak on three occasions and each time I have been inspired by her story. I have witnessed the effect on the audience, she has them spellbound as she talks about her achievements and the incredible challenges she has overcome with injuries, etc. yet still bounce back to the top. The most important take away for me is that you can reach incredible heights and then incredible lows but if you want something enough, and if you are passionate enough and single minded enough to pursue it – it will happen!
Mary Kay Cosmetics, Australia/NZ
- Jacqui Cooper stepped in at the last minute to be the keynote speaker for our annual conference. With slightly more than 48 hours to prepare, Jacqui proved just what a champion she is. Her presentation did what many other champion sports personalities fail to do. She very clearly and concisely married together what is required to be successful in sport with what is necessary to be successful in business.
Jacqui's life story and the examples she gave demonstrated that to be a champion in sport and in business you have to have a plan, both short and long term. You have to have persistence. You must be dedicated. You must train both the mind and the body and most important of all you must be prepared to go beyond what is regarded as the norm.
I have no hesitation in recommending Jacqui Cooper to any company or organisation looking for a keynote speaker who can marry together what is required to be successful in sport and business whilst at the same time be very professional and very entertaining.
Insight Insurance Brokers Association Inc.
- Jacqui was just fantastic, her thirst for life and passion was infectious – our team loved her. Her story and resilience is truly inspiring
Jacqui's presentation style was very relaxed, free flowing and entertaining. Jacqui's inspiring story had the attendees captivated, with her friendly and welcoming nature ensuring that attendees of all ages felt comfortable approaching her after the presentation
Jacqui was absolutely fantastic. She kept the whole room engaged and interested, and everyone came away from her session raving about how inspiring, interesting and funny Jacqui was. Would highly recommend Jacqui to anybody!
- Jacqui Cooper has a great story to tell, and she tells it with great humility, humour and 'down to earthedness' that is rare amongst those high profile successful sportspeople that tread the speaking circuit. We found Jacqui to be totally professional in her dealings with us as she prepared a presentation that was absolutely spot-on for the purpose we invited her for - she does her homework and really listened to what we were after.
The response from our leadership group who were fortunate enough to be there for Jacqui's session quite surpasses any that we've had before - they found her to be engaging and utterly approachable, and her story absolutely struck a chord that was totally aligned to the work we had them engaged in. We have already booked Jacqui to come and do more work with us, and I have no hesitation in recommending her to you if you're after a really authentic, entertaining and professional speaker with a great message that shows people they can do whatever they set their minds to!
Bunnings Group Limited
- We recently held our annual business unit conference at the Melbourne Intercontinental Hotel and invited Jacqui along to talk to the group. We chose Jacqui because she has had a long and successful career and has overcome adversity to get to the top of her sport. To say that we were impressed with Jacqui's speech would be an understatement. Jacqui held us captivated for almost an hour as she told us about her childhood memories of becoming an international skilling champion, her rapid rise to success and how she overcame adversity, including several serious injuries, through sheer skill, persistence and ambition to get to the top of her sport. As a motivational speaker Jacqui was simply incredibly inspiring and I would recommend her to anybody. Thanks Jacqui for sharing your amazing story with us and I hope you have the opportunity to tell it to many others.
AGL Energy Ltd
- Jacqui Cooper is an inspiration! Our delegates were in awe of her amazing story - told with humour and enormous energy. Jacqui's enthusiasm is infectious and her ability to motivate and connect with her audience is remarkable.
BT Financial Group
- Jacqui Cooper was awesome, her talk was inspiring, her story unbelievable and Jacqui herself is one of the best speakers I have heard. The audience was captivated for the entire talk and she made sure she visited every table to talk one on one and answer questions afterwards; she is a very special person.
- I found Jacqui's presentation incredibly moving, inspirational and at the same time humorous and I don't think I have ever understood the capacity of a human for resilience, persistence or drive until I met Jacqui. The pace was breathtaking but she kept us on the edge of our seats for the entire time dying to find out what more could possibly happen to her. Her presentation skills are second to none and I was moved by her story. Jacqui was well received at our conference and a standing ovation was the ultimate gift of a speaker - she received it with pride from our 81 attendees. It was amazing to watch. Certainly true to say that persistence pays off tenfold and more... we will definitely engage her for future conferences.
- Jacqui engaged very well with the audience of students ranging from 12 to 15 years. The ability to keep them focused and engaged for the entire time is testament to her skills as a speaker.
Sunraysia Youth Drug Forum
- Jacqui was an absolute please to work with. She was vivacious and enthusiastic in her performance. A strong and inspirational women who inspired and captured our audience. Jacqui, to the delight of our audience, made time after our event to sign posters and talk to each person. I would highly recommend Jacqui and would love to work with her again in the future.
"Easy to deal with any request and quick to respond."
New South Wales Minerals Council Ltd
Subscribe to our newsletter