'With all the moxie of an RSL barmaid and the library card of a research fellow, Nelly Thomas has emerged to talk about nothing slighter than the trials of her generation... she's erudite, earthy and entirely unemployable.' - The Age
Nelly Thomas has been described as one of Australia's most natural and intelligent comedians. As well as being an award‐winning performer, she was listed as one of Australia's 'most innovative thinkers' in The Age newspaper's The Zone and was recently featured on the ABC's Big Ideas: The Smartest Stuff on TV, Radio and Online. You'd be hard pressed to find a more engaging, thought-provoking comedy experience.
Nelly recently released her latest comedy DVD The Talk (a sexual health and ethics DVD for teens and their carers) and released her first book with Random House Publishing in 2012 to popular and critical acclaim. What Women Want, described as 'part memoir, part manifesto', canvasses the big issues of the modern era: politics, education, sex, relationships, health, family
and Beyonce's bottom. It is available online and in the shops.
Nelly sprung into comedy suddenly, winning the Triple J National Raw Comedy competition in 2003. In ten action packed years since then, she has directed Barry Award winning Maria Bamford, toured nationally and internationally, established her own Melbourne comedy room, created and toured several shows (including the highly acclaimed and unique The No Means No Show) and has performed in over a dozen festivals in Australia and around the world. She pops up on the telly and wireless and is a prolific tweeter. She's also grown two humans of her own, one of them just a few months ago.
Nelly continues to do live work in the community and government sectors, in particular as a highly sought‐after speaker, MC and producer of custom‐made performances, specialising in social commentary and health promotion. She has many years of experience in these and related fields (especially women's health and adolescent health) and is currently undertaking graduate studies in psychology at the University of Melbourne in her spare time to bolster this work.
(No, she doesn't have 'work‐life' balance ‐ she talks a lot about it though.)
Client Comments for Nelly Thomas
Nelly Thomas travels from Victoria Australia
- Really, very funny.
- Astringent, intelligent... very good.
Metro Newspaper, Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- Thank you so much for your performance at the SCAP conference. It was pitched perfectly and everyone loved it ‐ not to mention hilarious. Such a great way to finish the first day and it put everyone in high spirits for the remainder of the conference.
2011 School Psychologists and Counsellors Conference
- The audience that they were the most raucous bunch we've ever had at a library event! Nelly's talk was so funny and entertaining, it was accompanied by a soundtrack of guffaws from the crowd, with plenty of questions and then a frenzy of paparazzi action at the end from fans wanting a photo. Comments from the audience included 'Nelly was the best so far - so good to listen to, she had everyone's attention'. Nelly was definitely a hit with the women (and men) of Darebin.
- Nelly never fails to impress, she has a gift for translating complex issues into common language. She tells funny stories that people really relate to but still fit neatly within our health promotion aims. She is great to work with. We know when we ask Nelly to speak we can be confident that she will be funny, engaging and irreverent.
- We had overwhelming praise of our choice of Nelly as an MC. For those that already knew her, they were adamant that she never fails to please with new comedy surprises. Those who didn't know her demanded to know where we found her and what a great atmosphere and commentary she provided to uplift such a difficult topic. On top of this, Nelly was a charm to work with. She was highly professional... and asked all the right questions to make sure she met our needs for the event.
- We have already received many reports back from community about how greatly empowered and stronger the women have returned... your session was actually mentioned as being one of the most useful and enjoyable of the whole Forum! Thank you again for the magic you brought.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, Marie Stopes International
- Gobsmackingly great!
- In supporting our client Nandos Sauces and their charity, United against Malaria you were a stand out stand up total star. So very professional, completely hilarious, a top crowd pleaser and a real pleasure to work with. We can't wait to book you again and thank you so much.
Bendalls Group Pty Ltd
- Nelly just has this relaxed way of connecting with young people that makes them comfortable to engage around what is a pretty delicate but really important issue.
Academy of Sport, Health and Education
"Alice and Nancy were very professional and helpful and answered every question our organisation had. Even though we had a slight mishap which was out of everyone's control (Dr Michael's flight was delayed for about four hours) Nancy called me straight away to talk about alternative options and swiftly organised a partial refund for the service he was not able to provide. We were very grateful for this level of professionalism! Thanks so much!"
Albury Wodonga Regional GP Network
Subscribe to our newsletter