As someone who led his nation in the last years of amateur rugby, Nick Farr-Jones is a natural leader and, as an amateur sportsman, has uniquely experienced over two decades working in a business environment. He has led both world class sports people but has also been intricately involved in executing global business plans, strategic development and motivating people to achieve, individually and collectively, their objectives and dreams.
Nick Farr-Jones can encourage and motivate those who weren't gifted with outstanding natural talents. He was not selected to play in his school's rugby 1st XV in his leaving year but his passion to 'not die wondering' burnt in his heart and whilst studying law at Sydney University he joined the University's infamous rugby club and was soon thereafter selected to represent his nation in 1984. As Farr-Jones says, 'there was a fair bit of blood, sweat and tears in getting to the top but like anything, success worth achieving is always preceded by many hard yards'.
In rugby circles Farr-Jones was capped for Australia for 10 consecutive years, never being replaced during this time. He captained the team for five of those years including leading the country in 1991 to rugby's holy grail, the Rugby World Cup. His leadership was recognized in being chosen to captain the Barbarian Club to celebrate the famous club's centenary celebrations in 1990 and the World XV during New Zealand's centenary celebrations in 1992. He was awarded an AM in 1992 for services to the game.
During his time with the Wallabies Farr-Jones worked in the mid-sized Sydney legal firm of Garland Seaborn and Abbott. Shortly after sporting retirement he left the legal game pursuing a career in investment banking. He departed for Paris shortly after joining the French investment bank Societe Generale. After four successful years expanding the bank's metal derivative business in Europe and Africa, Farr-Jones returned to Sydney in 1999 to head up the Australian branch of SocGen's commodity finance business developing a highly motivated and well regarded team in the mining and commodity sector.
Farr-Jones left the banking world in 2008 and has taken up non executive directorships of companies largely in the resource sector. In 2009 he joined Taurus Resource Fund which specializes in investing in the mining and resource sector.
Nick is a former Senator of the University of Sydney, Director of NRMA, Councillor of the City of Sydney and Patron of the Children's Leukaemia and Cancer Foundation. He is currently a Director of the Wesley Mission and recently created his own charity known as Touch Life raising awareness and funds to support Wesley’s work in the homeless space.
Above everything Nick Farr-Jones counts the most successful and satisfying years in life as the daily interaction with his wife Angie and four children. He is an engaging speaker bringing world class sporting anecdotes and experiences into the realms of business life whilst encouraging and motivating individuals and teams.
Client Comments for Nick Farr-Jones
Nick Farr-Jones travels from New South Wales Australia
- We were very pleased with Nick's presentation as well as his participation on the panel (open forum). Nick used his experience in sport, as a solicitor, investment banker and fund manager well to get his points across. His presentation was very well received by the delegates.
Please convey my sincere thanks to Nick for his wonderful contribution to the success of our congress last weekend.
Ernst & Young Fiji
- A very good speaker, Nick engaged the audience, was very well received and was a pleasure to deal with.
FAST (Finance & Systems Technology Pty Ltd)
- It was a privilege to have Nick Farr Jones as our special guest - He helped make the 'Bloke' evening extra special! The interview was captivating and response from the audience was very positive.
- Nick was fantastic; very professional and cheerful.
- Nick Farr-Jones spoke very well and captured everyone's attention. The use of humour was taken well and I recommend more of this in the future. He was very well spoken in terms of motivation also.
Australian Defence Force Academy
- The delegates had been through a very intense and thought provoking few days and your messages were very insightful. The feedback from delegates had been extremely positive, with most delegates giving the presentation a ten out of ten!
Kerry Freer Events, VIC
- Nick Farr-Jones was very professional and easily incorporated his knowledge and experience of rugby into a speech that was relevant to our industry. He kept everyone's interest the whole time. He was wonderful!
- Nick was superb. Good content, good style and a nice bloke to boot. Everyone loved him, so well done and thanks.
Jack Morton Worldwide
- Nick was able to pick up on the brief info I supplied him in the 15 minute conversation I had with him and present content which was meaningful to everyone.
Hewlett Packard, NSW
- Excellent. 10/10
- Nick was brilliant. He was able to take a very detailed brief and run it exactly to plan and keep the dinner running on time. I would highly recommend him as an MC.
Gloria Jean's Coffees
- Nick was highly entertaining and really took the time to chat to most people at the dinner.
National Institute of Accountants
- Nick Farr-Jones's ability to appeal to business people on all levels, despite their ages or background is outstanding. A brilliant speaker who can measure any situation and turn it into a success.
DMG Radio, QLD
- He was very well received.
- Nick was on time, very professional and accommodating to ensure we got the best performance in the ad.
- For the Love of the Game
- Goal Setting
- Leadership and Inspiring the Team
- The Importance of Innovation and Allowing Your People to Make a Mistake
- The Road to the Top
- The Winning Team
- The World Cup Story
- Understanding Process and Letting the Scoreboard Look After Itself
"Nina and Tamie were friendly, professional and easy to work with as always and ensured everything went according to plan. Thanks for making this part of my project so simple!"
Subscribe to our newsletter