Dr Paula Barrett PhD
Paula is internationally recognised as a prominent scholar and groundbreaking researcher in the field of child psychology. Paula has a distinguished international reputation as a keynote presenter, published widely in the area of prevention and treatment of anxiety and depression, and the promotion of resilience through the 'FRIENDS' evidence-based programs. Recently, Paula received the Telstra Queensland Business Woman of the Year Award, was shortlisted for the Australian of the Year Queensland Award and the Queenslander of the Year Award, and received the Highly Commended Certificate in the Human Rights Medal of the Australian Human Rights Commission for her contribution to the wellbeing of children, youth and the wider community.
Paula completed her Bachelor of Science with First Class Honours and a Licenciatura in Clinical Psychology at Lisbon University, Portugal. She completed a Clinical Masters Degree at the University of Queensland in 1991 and her Doctorate in 1995. Paula is presently Adjunct Professor of the School of Education of the University of Queensland and the Australian National University Centre for Mental Health Research. She has supervised numerous Honours, Masters and PhD students to successful completion of their postgraduate degrees.
Paula was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship at the end of her high school studies, a Commonwealth Scholarship in 1991 to complete her research Doctorate, the National Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy Early Career Award for her research and innovation in the field of clinical psychology in 1998, the National Australian Psychology Society Award for outstanding scholarship in the discipline of psychology in 1999, and most recently the Lord Mayor's Australia Day Achievement Award for outstanding services in the community for families and children.
Paula is the founding Director of the innovative research-based clinic, Pathways Health and Research Centre. In 2008 Pathways was a Finalist in the Telstra Business Awards in the category of Innovation. Since its creation in 2003 it has helped tens of thousands of children and families.
For over two decades Paula has authored and evaluated the well-known FRIENDS for Life program recognised in an evidence-based review conducted by the World Health Organization for the prevention and treatment of childhood and adolescent anxiety and depression.
The FRIENDS program has enjoyed worldwide success within Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Netherlands, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Hong Kong, China, the US, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, Mexico, Peru, Brazil, New Zealand, and Japan, as well as undergoing randomized ED controlled trials in many other countries.
In 2007 Paula's Fun Friends program was officially launched by the Queensland Premier, the Honourable Bligh, MP, to aid in the prevention of anxiety and depression in four to six year olds. Paula has recently published FOCUS, a recognised treatment for OCD that has been proven effective.
Paula is an acclaimed and engaging speaker in both international and national forums, having delivered numerous keynote addresses worldwide.
Despite this impressive list of achievements Paula remains humble and true to her cause of helping as many children as possible and building a sense of community. She enjoys conducting research and loves working with children. Her passion lies in the preservation of natural environments and the wellbeing of all living beings, including all animals.
Paula is a strong believer in life long learning, staying active and a positive psychology approach. Collectively her prolific writing, generosity of spirit and fervour for research have had a significant impact on the lives of thousands of children all over the world.
Client Comments for Paula Barrett
Paula Barrett travels from Queensland Australia
- Your presentation in Oslomade a strong impact, and was perfectly tuned to the concerns of the conference. I thought it was really a highlight of the meeting, and heard many favourable comments afterwards. We all appreciate the time you took to prepare this excellent session, and your willingness to make the long journey to Norway.
World Federation for Mental Health
- Dr Barrett's use of humor, questioning technique, good variation in tone, depth of knowledge and experience, and her lively and warm personality helped to make a very interesting and stimulating lecture and workshop. The staff were very impressed with the depth and breath of knowledge of Dr Barrett. The FRIENDS program that was presented seemed to be a well-researched and innovative program, developed on a firm empirical basis. Dr Barrett was very professional in her preparation, presentation and in all her dealings with the school.
Trinity Grammar School, NSW
- Thank you for another fascinating insight into your brilliance. Your session, as always provided parents and teachers alike with answers to difficult questions and offered a way forward and hope for the future.
Indooroopilly Montessori Preschool Centre, QLD
- Feedback from staff was unanimously positive. Dr Barrett obviously has extensive knowledge and a passion for her work. I would gladly recommend such a workshop day to other schools interested in implementing this program.
MLC School, NSW
- You (Dr Barrett) were the undoubted 'hit' of our AHIS and ISNZ Conferences and the delegates took both you and your messages to their hearts.
Independent Schools of New Zealand
- Dr Barrett's presentation was the best I listened to this year! She was informative and knowledgeable, entertaining and encouraging - we all felt empowered to make changes in our families and professional settings.
European Association of Innovations in Education
- Following the professional development days for our staff last week I wanted to take the opportunity to express my sincere thanks and appreciation for your participation. Your presentation and the way you engaged the audience was most commendable. In particular, the information you shared made great sense as we begin another year of work with our young men.
St Joseph 's College
- I wish to express my thanks on behalf of the Child and Youth Mental Health Service for you presentation at our recent training day at the RCH Auditorium which addressed the topic, "The impact of resilience on the behaviour and development of children and adolescents". A total of 91 people from a wide range of backgrounds attended the training day, and many of the comments provided on the evaluation form highlighted the extent to which your keynote address contributed significantly to achieving our aim of delivering quality, relevant training to those who work with children and adolescents facing mental health issues.
Royal Children's Hospital
- Building Emotional and Social skills in Children, Adults and Families
- Building Resilience in Families and Working Communities.
- Conflict Resolution in the Workplace
- Creative Solutions in Times of Change
- Positive Performance in the Workplace - Resilience and Motivational Strategies
- Prevention of Anxiety and Stress Management in Children, Adults, and Families
"Yet again Sandra and Alice made the whole booking experience simple and easy. Their customer service is exceptional. They both responded to my queries quickly and kept me informed of what was happening with my bookings at all times. Sandra's ability to find the perfect speaker, usually with only a minimal brief and a limited budget, is outstanding. She manages to hit the mark every time."
Goulburn Ovens Institute of TAFE
Subscribe to our newsletter