Rachael Robertson (CSP, MBA) is an Antarctic expedition leader, best-selling author and Australia’s pre-eminent authority on extreme leadership.
She presents with great humour, humility and passion to audiences that value her practical, no-nonsense approach. No matter the event, Rachael will leave your audience inspired, challenged and equip to take the next step in their leadership journey.
As a Chief Ranger and leader with 20 years of ‘extreme’ leadership experience, she is a best-selling author and leadership guru whose talents are in great demand from leading organisations around the globe.
As only the second female to lead a team to Davis Station in Antarctica she managed a diverse group of up to 120 people, through total isolation, months of darkness, with no way in and no way out. It was a leadership laboratory in the most extreme and hostile environment on Earth, where most of the theory doesn’t apply.
It was a ‘leadership laboratory’ in the most extreme workplace on Earth. In Antarctica she built a resilient and highly successful team based on the foundation that ‘respect trumps harmony’. Prior to leading the expedition Rachael had 16 years experience in a variety of senior operational roles in complex and challenging environments.
Since returning to Australia, Rachael has completed her MBA, written a best-selling book on her experience, Leading on the Edge, and has presented at over 600 conferences and events around the world. Rachael presents with great humour, humility and passion. No matter the event, Rachael will leave your audience inspired, challenged and equipped to take the next step in their leadership journey.
Client Comments for Rachael Robertson
- Rachael was engaging and responded well to the group. Her experiences are extraordinary and she did a great job of relating what she learnt. She was also able to illustrate the similarities between her roles and those of my team. In one word, "Terrific!"
- "We were delighted with the feedback on Rachael from our advisers. Evaluation forms contained phrases such as: "Excellent", "Truly inspiring", "Interesting" and "Fantastic presenter - very informative and interesting". Working with Rachael over five events around Australia was a delight. She has a very professional and flexible approach".
- "I have seen a number of speakers over the years, however Rachael was amongst the absolute best of them. I took so much away from her amazing story, and have relayed some of her messages to other people. Love the bacon war!"
- "Rachael is a passionate and enthusiastic speaker. She has that magic mix of tangible down-to-earth stories that give way to strong and inspiring messages on leadership, relationships and life. She fully engages with the participants from the moment she arrives right through to the moment she leaves."
- "Inspirational leadership, real and fascinating stories.. Great safety insights…simply excellent."
- "Rachael's safety insights were spot-on, practical and eminently useful. Fantastic presentation."
- "Rachael's experience itself was incredibly interesting and different to most speakers you usually see at these kind of events. She was honest, engaging and made her experience relevant to us. Having her for dinner to chat more informally after the presentation was great as she was interested in what we do, our challenges, etc. and gave us excellent advice by relating to some of the adversity she went through in Antarctica."
- "Rachael's warm, down to earth nature were themes that were repeated in the positive feedback we've received and would have to be among Rachel's best assets."
Worley Parsons Group
- "I have never received so much positive feedback from a guest speaker as I have this time. People continue to tell me how impressed they were with Rachael's story. She provided a fantastic insight into difficulties around management in a remote site. Her messages and insights can be applied within our business. She shared a range of unusual and interesting stories which made her message even stronger."
Crown Casinos & Hotels
- "Rachael provided insights and inspiration of leadership in a truly challenging environment engaging both new and experienced executives within our own "Challenging workplace."
Village Cinemas International
- "Rachael presented in a casual manner which I think was really appropriate for our group of delegates, especially after 3 full days of workshops. Rachael's down to earth story of an ordinary person achieving extraordinary things inspires us all to work with all the tools available to us and to make our own opportunities and not just wait for them to come to us!"
Choice Hotels Australasia
- - Our best speaker so far! Modest and unassuming but had an incredible story to tell.
- Rachael was a wonderful speaker and her story was inspiring.
- Great find. I have been to a bunch of conferences with motivational speakers and this was a rare time that the speaker actually was a perfect fit to the theme.
- A real highlight of the conference.
- Rachel's story in its self was inspirational, and it made me realise that when we are busy that we forget to check in with our staff to make sure they are OK.
- Engaging, easy to listen to and was prepared. Was great to use visuals, such as slideshow with photos.
- The Leadership Insights card was a nice take home to refer back to, refresh and remind.
- Very impressive young lady with a terrific message for our people.
- Rachael Robertson was an excellent presenter and her presentation was first class. The leadership insight from her personal experiences was well received.
Comments from Coal Services Pty Ltd 2012 Leadership Conference
- Rachel really resonated with our audience because she is so 'real'. Her message about leadership was delivered in such a natural and unpretentious way that it was totally believable. Her story about Antarctica was so amazing. We would follow her anywhere...
Intimo Lingerie Pty Ltd
- The evening was excellent. Rachael was great to work with and integrated with our audience with ease. The feedback from Rachael's presentation was fantastic. She was very professional, engaging and enthusiastic about her subject. A lady with remarkable leadership skills and passion. This is one extraordinary leadership experience that involved so many challenges and in such an isolated and remote situation - what an enormous year it must have been, a fascinating adventure story and I personally really wish Rachael the very best with her future.
The Australian Industry Group
- Rachael Robertson was excellent with her presentation yesterday at our ABMVSS AGM and PD day. Rachael is warm, engaging, down to earth and very honest and approachable. Our members really enjoyed her presentation yesterday and as they were leaving the venue I could hear many of them speaking about their own 'bacon wars' and the tools Rachael provided when dealing with such situations.
Business Managers in Victorian State Schools
- Rachael was an excellent speaker who really connected with our audience.
- Leading On The Edge
- Future. Woman. Leader.
- 365 Shades of White
- The Future of Teamwork
- Change Is The New Business As Usual
- Remote And Dangerous
Topic SynopsesLeading On The Edge
The job of a leader is to create more leaders, not more followers! This keynote explores how great leaders build and invest in those around them and turn 'moments into momentum' by paying attention to the little things. This is all about showing BIG leadership in SMALL moments.
Future. Woman. Leader.
How did Rachael become the youngest female leader to Antarctica, or the youngest Chief Ranger? In this keynote Rachael outlines the key personal mantras, commitments and career tools that every woman must use to progress effectively. Perfect for both women's and mixed events.
365 Shades Of White
An hilarious and compelling account of Rachael's time leading up to 120 people on in the remotest corner of the earth for a year. Hear about 'life in the freezer', the plane crash, how 'the bacon war' nearly derailed a $20M science program and other unique stories backed by uncommon insight and useful tools.
The Future Of Teamwork
Today's and future teams are very different from what they once were. Now we come together quickly, remotely and are expected to perform immediately. In this keynote Rachael uncovers the critical tools she uses to quickly create cohesion, purpose and resilience in teams. Practical tools you can put to work straight away.
Change Is The New Business As Usual
It's a truism, but change is the new constant. It can be unsettling, energising but create extreme fatigue. In this keynote Rachael provides the tools to navigate this world of 'flux' that dominates business today. Self-leadership, resilience, and persistence are the keys to succeeding in a world of seemingly constant change.
Remote And Dangerous
Workplace health and safety insights from the harshest, coldest, most isolated workplace on earth. Rachael recounts how she kept her team safe and sane through the long, dark Antarctic winter by building a culture of safety leadership. She provides practical tools each person can use to create leadership around them.
"Fast and efficient. Really friendly and catered to our needs at the last minute."
Corcordis Chartered Accountants
Subscribe to our newsletter