Dr Richard Hames PhD
Recently described by Forbes Asia as one of the smartest people on the planet, Richard is considered to be among the world's most influential futurists and philosopher-activists. An Australian citizen, educated in Europe, and until recently domiciled in Asia, Richard has been honoured with numerous awards including a French Government Scholarship, a Leverhulme European Fellowship, the Mondadori Professorial Fellowship and the inaugural Lord Attlee Fellowship.
Richard is Chairman at Hames McGregor + Partners, President of the Asian Foresight Institute in Bangkok, and an elected Fellow of the World Academy of Art & Science. In July 2015 he accepted the position of founding Executive Chairman at Centre for the Future - a global enterprise focused on finding practical solutions to Buckminster Fuller’s challenging question: How can we make the world work for 100 per cent of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous co-operation without ecological damage or disadvantage to anyone?
Formed in partnership with some of the most insightful thinkers of our time, Centre for the Future is leading a 100 year mindful uprising of leaders everywhere – helping them to revitalise or reinvent systems that are collapsing under the weight of a population now exceeding seven billion people. The Centre’s core purpose is to define, design and curate a viable world-system within which the truest expressions of what it means to be human can be realised.
Richard has worked for many years as a strategic adviser to institutions and multinational corporations in the USA, Europe, UK, China, Japan, India, South Africa, Brazil, UAE, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand and advises governments on all aspects of the future. He is a Board member of several start-ups, a regular contributor to the Intelligence Unit at The Economist, and personal mentor to Heads of State, cabinet ministers, entrepreneurs and some of the world's most innovative CEOs.
A compelling public speaker and celebrated writer, Richard is author of the best-selling book, The Management Myth: Exploring the Essence of Future Organizations. His second book, Burying the 20th Century - New Paths to New Futures, was published in 1997. Richard contributed a chapter entitled, Requiem for the Nation State in Reforming the Public Sector (ed. C. Clark and D. Corbett, Allen & Unwin, 1999) and was a key contributor to Rewiring Organizations for the Connected Economy (Jossey-Bass Pfeiffer, Los Angeles, US. 2002). The Five Literacies of Global Leadership (John Wiley & Son, London, 2007) was the result of ten years of research and argues a case for jettisoning many of today's leadership orthodoxies in order to liberate collective wisdom. Open Heart - Open Mind and Heresies: Essays on the Future of Humanity both focus on the reinvention of society and its institutions. Richard's sixth book, Dancing with the Future will be available in late 2017 and is about the viable reinvention of humanity’s most life-critical systems.
Client Comments for Richard Hames
Richard Hames travels from Victoria Australia
- Dr Hames was a good speaker, with a pleasantly modulated voice and thoughtful, considering manner. His presentation was thought-provoking, stimulating, and challenging if the questions and discussion following his presentation are any indication. Indeed, if we hadn't had a schedule to follow I believe the conversation would probably have continued all morning. Before he spoke, several in the audience were saying they'd not heard of him; they won't forget him.
- The feedback received from the delegates was extremely positive and showed that the event was enjoyed by all. The feedback also showed that our selection of speakers was thought to be well balanced, diverse and most educational. This, of course, was made possible because of people such as yourself and we were extremely delighted that you could join us on the day. The delegates that attended the session in which you spoke where delighted with your performance and I know that they went away with a greater understanding of how to become and remain strategically competitive.
Robert Sullivan, Executive Manager, ClubsNSW
- In each case, the group thoroughly enjoyed your work - as I always do - and you provided a veritable smorgasbord of concepts, thinking, and reference points for everyone to take back with them. Quite apart from the clarity of your thinking, you have a special gift for 'connecting' with groups, and the interactive components become a significant feature in themselves.
Chris Aston-James, MD, Aston-James International
- Congratulations to you. I thought that your leadership was stunning and your facilitation of such an open-ended event as a well as with such large numbers was skilful, masterful and very clever.
Gerry White, CEO, education.au
- Thank you for providing me with a response to that niggling old chestnut, "If you could sit next to anyone on a flight to London who would it be? Dr. Richard David Hames will be my answer from here on in! In fact I'd even do a stop over, about turn and return flight with him. Stimulating, challenging and relevant - what a way to begin a Monday morning.
An Executive at the ANZ
- Motivating and enlightening…
Melanie McMillan, Director, TAC
- Incredibly insightful, interesting and intellectually stimulating
Sally-Anne Friedlander, Boral Learning Services
- Richard's capacity to identify and weave together the major issues that are shaping our future world is extraordinary.
Australian Institute of Training & Development
- Richard Hames has, in a very significant way, helped us to reshape the Australian Taxation Office and lay the foundations for a new organization that is now so essential as we move into a huge tax reform process here in Australia.
Peter Simpson, 2nd Commissioner - ATO
- It is a rare person who is able to transform our thinking by creating a fundamentally new vision of how things could work better. Richard Hames is one of those people.
Sir Norman Joyce, Chairman, AMI
- Richard's ability to rapidly understand our culture and impart a strategic thinking skills-set to groups with little previous exposure to this were crucial to our very survival.
- Richard offers us a new management paradigm to lead us back to community as the foundation for sustainable prosperity and balance.
Charles Macek, Chairman – IOOF
- Richard's ideas are for anyone searching for new meanings in work. Marvelous!"
Dr Charles Hampden-Turner, University of Cambridge
- Richard Hames is one of the most radical yet stimulating commentators today on what it takes to manage an organization in the economy of tomorrow
Phillip Morris Limited
- Richard Hames inspires; his breadth of vision offering daring and challenging insights into the world of tomorrow.
Douglas Hogg - Industry Minister, UK Government
- Cities & Urban Development
- Climate Change
- National Security
- Strategic Innovation
- The Global Economy
Files & Downloads