Sam Bailey is a farmer, pilot, husband and best-selling author. He has achieved all of those from a wheelchair and has an incredible ability to take an audience on the journey of his life.
Sam's talk chronicles his life, from a childhood sporting hero growing up wanting to be a farmer just like his dad, through to the day his life changed forever at the fork in a road in the Northern Territory and it's aftermath.
Sam's is not a story of sadness but rather, triumph. He talks of turning tragedy into hope and how he beat the odds to fulfil his life-long dream of being a farmer.
Despite being paralysed with only limited use of his hands and arms, and intolerance to heat and cold, he went home to the family farm against the advice of medical experts. Here he learnt to ride a four wheel motor bike which became his 'legs' around the property. He devised a hoist to lift him into the farm machinery and converted tractors, the harvester, front end loader and dozer so he could drive them. He also learnt to drive a car again, travelled overseas and even tried snow skiing.
As if he hadn't already achieved enough, Sam 'climbed' his very own 'Mount Kosciusko' when he learnt to fly an ultra light aircraft.
But Sam's story is much more than that. It's also a story of love and romance that will send your spirits soaring, finding his soul mate in former Tamworth-based ABC radio Rural Reporter Jenny Black. Sam proposed to 'live' on regional radio, jamming phone lines into the station and exhausting the fax machine of paper.
The love story appeared on ABC TV's 'Australian Story' in 2000, with an overwhelming response and then in April 2006, Sam launched his book 'Head Over Heels - A Story of Tragedy, Triumph and Romance in the Australian Bush', which he co-wrote with Jenny. Within weeks it was on the ABC Books' best sellers list and has now been reprinted nine times. Proving popular with all ages, including many children and young people, many say the book has changed their lives.
Today Sam and Jenny live and work together on Sam's family property in northern NSW, in between travelling the country telling their story and giving inspiration to others. they are also working towards their next big goal, for Sam to become the first quadriplegic in the world to fly a helicopter.
The couple intend to write a second book about the journey of working towards the goal of flying a helicopter together, and ultimately flying into schools to speak to students and inspire them to fulfill their own dreams in life.
The Commonwealth Bank - one of Australia's largest public companies - is so inspired by Sam's dream of flying into schools, it is offering financial support to make this community project become reality.
Sam Bailey is a truly inspirational speaker, captivating audiences and speaking from the heart, with a story that will resonate and inspire long after your conference ends.
Client Comments for Sam Bailey
Sam Bailey travels from New South Wales Australia
- Sam and Jenny were both brilliant - their 'farming' story fitted our small rural community perfectly, and everyone, from teenagers through to people in their 80's thoroughly enjoyed listening to their story - and being inspired by it. Both Sam & Jenny were very easy to get along with, and very willing to speak with the locals. Their visit is something the 300 people in attendance at our "Bugga the Blues, Bugga the Drought, Come along to the community night out" will be thinking and talking about for a long time.
Kimba Community Development Group Inc
- Sam Bailey was very generous with his time and he and Jenny stayed in the Trade Show all afternoon signing books and chatting to our delegates. He was a big hit!
- You were truly inspirational and loved by all who heard you. Such courage to rise above your hardships and to portray to those assembled how challenges can be overcome with perseverance and tolerance…
For me having been in the ambulance service for over 40 years and witnessing similar incidents to yours I wonder how many have taken the path you have followed. Thank you for your inspiration and the courage you have shared with us all.
Rotary District 9650
- Sam you are an inspiration. I often feel crushed by my problems. At least I can go for a walk or kick a footy with my son. You would no doubt give your left eye to be able to do that…..Australia was built on the backs of blokes like you
North Queensland Newspaper
- Sam Bailey was an inspirational speaker. He captivated his audience with both words and feeling, and gave us the inspiration required to get out there and make a difference, just as he has done. He had the audience of state school principals laughing and crying with his message, which was delivered with true feeling. His presentation was also highly professional, and polished. He was a genuine speaker and spoke from the heart
Principal of Wellers Hill State School
"Carol Pederson was amazing in securing Margie Warrell to speak for WiRV. Her service was exceptional. She was always responsive to any requests we had. I would love to work with Carol and Margie again."
Subscribe to our newsletter