Steve Vamos has more than 30 years' experience in the information technology and online media industry. He has lived and worked in Australia, the USA and Asia.
Steve serves as a non-executive director for Telstra (appointed September 2009) and Fletcher Building Limited (appointed July 2015), and is a member of the Advisory Board of the University of Technology Sydney Business School. He is also a non-executive director and advisor to a range of Australian organisations, which span from start-ups through to large established companies.
Previously, Steve has been Non-executive Director at Medibank Private and David Jones. As Vice President of worldwide sales and international operations for Microsoft Corporation's Online Service Group, he was responsible for the organisation's international business in more than 30 countries around the world. Steve has also been Chief Executive Officer of Microsoft Australia and New Zealand, and ninemsn. He has been Vice President and Managing Director of Apple Computer Asia Pacific, Managing Director of Apple Computer Australia and occupied a number of sales, marketing and general management positions at IBM Australia.
Steve was the founder and President of the Society for Knowledge Economics (SKE), a not-for-profit think-tank that operated from 2005 to 2014. SKE aimed to encourage and promote new and better leadership and management practices, which would enable innovation, productivity and sustainability.
The Australian Financial Review has twice included Steve in the top five listing of the most influential members of the Australian technology industry.
Steve holds a degree in Civil Engineering (with Honors) from the University of New South Wales.
Client Comments for Steve Vamos
- Delegates thought that Steve Vamos was incredibly down to earth and very dynamic.
Recruitment & Consulting Services Assoc (NSW/ACT)
- Steve is an exceptional speaker and thought leader. He is spearheading a new school of thinking around leadership that enables others to reach their potential, and challenges us to think differently/adopt a new, collaborative mindset that is critical to the success in a rapidly changing and connected world. A perfect message for anyone leading today and into the future. Steve is ahead of his time and leaders of today need to catch up if they wish to remain competitive in the future.
The Faculty Management Consultants
- Steve was the stand-out speaker of the day, we have had fantastic feedback about his presentation and content and style.
Insurance Commission of WA
- Steve Vamos has a remarkable presence when connecting with a group. He has the ability to relay his stories of his career with a candour and ease that gets people's attention. He is a truly authentic leader and that came across in his panel participation. Steve was generous with his time in terms of connecting with participants during and after the Forum - more than willing to share his experience and expertise. Working with him beforehand to prep and form the panel discussion was very easy - he's a delight to work with and made a huge contribution to this being one of our most successful events yet.
- Engaging, down to earth, relevant.
- I would like to thank you for your inspirational and engaging presentation. The feedback from the staff about your presentation has been fantastic. They really enjoyed hearing about your personal journey in the workforce and the messages and stories you shared were very valuable.
Hearing your journey helped spark in-depth discussion about issues that affect us all and I know the female staff were able to relate to many of your experiences. The day concluded on a high note with many solutions and suggestions being tabled.
Being the first of many forums we will hold for our staff, your contribution was pivotal in making the day such a great success. It has helped to empower and engage our staff in being part of the solution.
Randwick City Council
- Creating and Enabling Innovation at Work
- Building and Executing an Effective Digital Strategy
- Closing the Gap between Organisation Performance and Existing Potential
- Creating/Enabling Innovation at Work
- Leadership, Culture and Management Practices: for a connected world
- Leadership, Culture and Management Practices: for a high-performance workplace
Topic SynopsesCreating and Enabling Innovation at Work
The world is now a highly connected and fast changing economic and social system, as are the organisations within which we work.
Information and communications technology has amplified the potential of people (and the organisations they work for) as the internet, low cost computing devices and communications networks connect people with others of common interest and new sources of knowledge and information.
People, their knowledge, relationships and the extent to which they are encouraged and enabled by management to create and innovate, increasingly determine how value is created for their organisation. This is a big change to embrace because traditionally we hired people to do what they were told, and now we want them to create, collaborate and innovate.
Technology doesn't innovate – people do! Technology isn't disrupting your business, people are!
As a result, organisations that don't focus on enabling their people to create the future and innovate will find it tough to succeed in the future.
Steve Vamos will discuss the leadership and management consequences of the changes going on in the world and outline approaches business leaders and their teams can employ to drive creativity and innovation in their organisation.
"Thank you Nina and Lauren. Look forward to working with you in the future. Great service."
Novotel Rooty Hill
Subscribe to our newsletter