The Hon Tim Groser has a lengthy history as an International Negotiator and a New Zealand Minister for seven years with international responsibilities in the fields of international trade and climate change.
Since Tim’s last official position (NZ Ambassador to the United States) Tim has been working as an international business consultant. He is not only recognised as an international expert on trade, but is a gifted speaker - able to explain highly complex international developments from trade wars, geopolitical threats through to international monetary turmoil in terms that business audiences can readily understand.
Tim's work has seen him involved in many of New Zealand's largest and economically significant trade negotiations over decades:
• New Zealand Ambassador to The World Trade Organisation.
• Chairman of two of the most crucial international negotiating groups in the WTO - Chair of the Global Agriculture Negotiations and Chair of the Global Subsidies Negotiations (the ‘rules’ negotiating group).
• NZ Chief Negotiator (as an official, not elected position) in the last successful ‘round’ of multilateral trade negotiations, the Uruguay round.
• Led the first set of negotiations (as the Senior Nz Official) that evolved into the CPTPP (‘comprehensive and progressive trans-pacific partnership agreement’).
• Involved in the negotiations of all of New Zealand's three free trade agreements with the ‘Chinese economic triangle’ - the three separate ‘customs territories' of China itself, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
• Facilitated many international climate change negotiations, working particularly closely with the Obama Climate Change Team.
The Hon Todd Stern (President Obama’s special envoy on climate change) has said of Tim;
"While my dealings with The Hon. Tim Groser have been in the field of climate change, rather than trade, they are more than relevant, because Tim was one of the very smartest, toughest, most strategically and tactically adept ministers I worked with in my years as the us special envoy for climate change. He has a rare ability to cut through the noise and get to the heart of a problem, then think through a strategy and tactical plan to manage it. Add to that a combination of toughness and creativity in execution, and you have a rare package.”
Hon Tim Groser was fabulous and thought provoking! A very impressive talk, absolutely captivating. The audience loved the history lessons and insights and remarked that it was a brilliant, i ... keep readingn depth session. Tim nailed it! Institute of Finance Professionals NZ Inc.