It was an incredibly fulfilling 19 years that Rachael Sporn played basketball at the elite level. Playing for and captaining Adelaide Quit Lightning to four Premierships in the WNBL was a definite highlight and playing for Detroit Shock in the WNBA for three seasons was also a dream achieved.
But the most special memories are reserved for her years playing for The Opals, the Australian Women's Basketball Team. Playing 304 games for her country, Rachael is a triple Olympian, winning bronze in Atlanta in 1996, Silver in Sydney in 2000 and Silver in Athens in 2004.
To Rachael's delight, her fourth and fifth Olympic campaigns have come in the role as a commentator, covering the Women's Basketball for Channel 7 at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and for Channel 9 and Foxtel at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
Away from basketball Rachael is the Development Executive for the Australian Melanoma Research Foundation.
As a member of the Australian Women's Basketball Team - The Opals:
• Games played for Australia - 304
• Silver Medallist in the 2004 Athens Olympic Games
Silver Medallist in the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games
Bronze Medallist in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games
• Opals World Championship teams in 1990, 1994 and 1998
• Captain of the Opals 2001-2002, Vice-captain of the Opals 1999-2000
• Inducted into the Australian Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007
In the Women's National Basketball League, the WNBL:
• Games played - 377
• WNBL Championships in 1990, 94, 95, 96 and 98
• Captain of Adelaide Quit Lightning 1994-2004
• Dual Winner of the Women’s National Basketball League Most Valuable Player
• In 1999 became the all time leading scorer and rebounder in the WNBL
• Member of the 25th WNBL Anniversary Team
• Drafted to Detroit Shock in the WNBA for the 1998, 1999 & 2001 seasons
• Women's basketball commentator for Channel 7 at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
• Women’s basketball commentator for Channel 9 for the 2012 London Olympic Games
• Ambassador for the Australian Melanoma Research Foundation
• Ambassador for the Premier’s Reading Challenge
• Ambassador for the Roger Rasheed Sport's Foundation
• Ambassador for the Little Heroes Foundation
• Adelaide Crows Ambassador
• Olympic Education Ambassador
• Centenary Medal for Services to the Community
• Australian Sports Medal for Services to Sport
• Bachelor of Education in Physical Education and Mathematics
Rachael is an outstanding natural speaker and a great MC - engages very well with her audience. ... keep reading City of Campbelltown
Rachael Sporn was a fantastic MC, a very articulate speaker, personable and engaging, we are so glad that we contracted Rachael. Rachael ensured our event was a success.