Tim Fischer was born at Lockhart, NSW, and educated at Boree Creek in the Riverina and Xavier College, Melbourne. Mr Fischer served with the Australian Army 1 RAR from 1966-1969, in both Australia and Vietnam, before returning to the family farm at Boree Creek in southern NSW.
In 1971 he was elected to the NSW Parliament. During his time in State Parliament, Mr Fischer became National Party Whip and served on a number of Parliamentary Committees, including the State ‘Staysafe’ Committee. He resigned from State Politics in 1984 to seek pre-selection for the Federal Parliamentary seat of Farrer, at the time based on Albury, Corowa and Deniliquin, from the ACT to the SA border.
Mr Fischer was subsequently elected Federal Member for Farrer and served in this role from 1984 to 2001. During this time he was Shadow Minister for Energy & Resources, Shadow Minister for Trade, Leader of the National, and later Minister for Trade and Deputy Prime Minister in the Howard Government (1996 - 1999). He led the Official delegation to observe the East Timor Referendum in 1999.
In Federal Parliament, Tim Fischer strongly supported harmonized strict Gun Law Reform and also the World’s newest Transcontinental Railway - Adelaide to Darwin - where freight tonnage has increased greatly since its inception in 2004.
He retired from politics in 2001, served as Chair of Tourism Australia 2004 - 2007 and then was the first Rome resident Australian Ambassador to the Holy See 2009 - 2012. He was also appointed Special Envoy by the Australian Government to Bhutan, Eritrea and South Sudan, for a period of years. In his work and related roles, he has visited over 84 countries.
In 2012 Tim Fischer was elected Vice Chairman of the Global Crop Diversity Trust with Seed Vault in North Norway.
Mr Fischer is Chairman of FAMU Holdings, a private company, and has a range of business interests, mainly with an export orientation. His hobbies include chess and trekking in KNP and the Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan.
Mr Fischer has also held the following honorary positions as Chair of the Crawford Fund on International Agricultural Research; Chair of the Australian Winemakers Foundation; National Chair RFDS and National Patron of Frontier Services; as well as being patron of various charitable organizations.
Some of Mr Fischer’s previous commercial activities include being a Consultant at Deloittes; Director AA Co., Ausmore Singapore & Asia Pacific Transport.
Tim is the author of Seven Days in East Timor, Outback Heroes & Communities that Count (co author), Transcontinental Train Odyssey: The Ghan, The Khyber, The Globe.
His most recent writings include Bold Bhutan Beckons (Co Author with Tshering Tashi), Trains Unlimited in the 21st Century (ABC Books), and Holy See, Unholy me: 1000 Days in Rome (ABC Books)
Tim’s book on WW1, MAESTRO JOHN MONASH: Australia’s greatest Citizen General is a best-seller.
Client Comments for Tim Fischer
Tim Fischer travels from New South Wales Australia
- Tim captured everyone's attention immediately with lighthearted insights into political life. Trade issues were covered in an entertaining fashion, much to everyone's delight!
International Business Research Institute
- All were very pleased and delighted by Tim's talk.
Alliancing Association of Australasia
- Tim is a wonderful presenter and storyteller. He was well received by the attendees.
AgriFood Skills Australia
- Diggers to Damascus: How Australian film producer Charles Chauvel arrived in Damascus two days before Lawrence of Arabia
- Knowledge and Experience in Trade with our Asian Partners
- Local and International Trade
- The Global Trading Village: The future, business issues and the community framework
- The Himalayan Humbug: A lighthearted look at one of Tim's favourite places, Bhutan
- The Inner Workings of Cabinet and its Implications for your Business
- The Renaissance of Rail, 200 Years On: Rail and other transport
- The Un-level Playing Field: Tariffs and free trade
"Caroline Martel-Hill has been wonderful in terms of helping me select the right people. Lauren Ellis has also been a great help in bringing this together - two very professional and easy to work with ladies. I appreciate their help very much. Service and quality was superb."
Subscribe to our newsletter